Taking Blood during regular Exam using an IV like tube?

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought it very strange at the time but didn't question it and realized at the time I should have but during an exam where I was having blood work done the vet took blood by attaching a tube like an IV to a needle inserted into his leg and it took several minutes. Later on at home after my cat ate he threw his food up. I realized wait I never saw that - usually they just put a syringe in the neck and take blood for a regular panel. Anybody ever have this happen?

luna tuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's interesting; my vet took blood from my kitty's leg in pretty much the same way my blood has been taken. It may be just different methods. I wouldn't think taking blood would have anything to do with the vomiting.

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some vets prefer to draw from the femoral vein in cats because it tends to be less stressful. Because the veins are usually very thin and tend to roll, it's easier to use a winged infusion set. Sometimes it can take a few minutes because the blood flows more slowly so when larger amounts are needed it's better to use the jugular vein. The vomiting may just be a reaction to a stressful day.