Taking An 8 Week Old Kitten To A New Home?

GeahamJon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so I am picking up a kitten tomorrow. She was 8 weeks old on Wednesday just gone. After much research, I have become aware that really the kitten should stay with their mother and litter until 12-14 weeks or even more. However, even if I wasn't to take her she would be sold to someone else, and possibly go to someone who is not going to care for her as well as I intend to. Not only this, but the rest of her litter has already been torn away from her anyway, as they have been sold. I think it is awful, and I would not take her if I knew she was able to stay with her mother, but it seems that is unlikely.

I was wondering what I could do to keep her calm and not stressed when I bring her home tomorrow? She has apparently already been weaned (too early?) and litter trained. I have bought her some kitten milk formula to potentially give her some nutrients that she may have missed and will miss out on. I have also bought a feliway plugin (not sure how well this will work but I thought it was worth a try). I have a lot of toys and a cat tree, etc to try and make her feel safe and secure.

I was wondering if I should try and get a clock to put under her bed as a substitute for her mothers heartbeat? I'm just so unsure on how to handle it, as I don't want her to get ill or be stressed. I have already signed her up to a vet and plan to get her first vaccination asap.

I also plan to wean her off the food she is eating at the moment (whiskas) and onto something healthier.

Hope I can get some feedback to put my mind at rest!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most 8 week old kittens will be fine away from Mom. Yes, 12 weeks is more ideal but that is because Mom will normally teach behavior and proper play during that time. Some nutritional benefit but kittens are usually just supplementing their kitten food with Moms milk at that point. Get a good kitten food and that aspect will be covered.

High energy level and feeling lonely would be the two concerns. If she will be sleeping alone then a heartbeat toy or toy you put a warmer in might help her sleep better. Smart Pet Love Snuggle Kitty Behavioral Aid Cat Toy, Tan Tiger

You would want to make sure you have dedicated time for play and interaction every single day. Develop a routine when she is young and work on training her to go into a crate (like by feeding in the crate) and her name (say her name at every meal and frequently when petting or playing). Those two will be beneficial when she get she older for vet visits or in emergencies. When playing keep hands out of it. If your hand does get bit or scratched react dramatically each and every time with a five count of play stopping so she learns appropriate play behavior.

Honestly, if there are no other cats in the home it would be advisable to get a second kitten. Your costs go up a little but two kittens together will reduce the demands on you. They will learn how to play without you having to teach her. They will entertain each other when you are tired. Comfort each other when lonely. But that isn't an option for everyone and I do understand that.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing you could do is get her a young friend in the very near future - it means a great deal for a young kitten to have another kitten as a friend, socially and developmentally. IMO nothing you could do is as important as doing that. If that isn't possible, then spending as much time with the kitten as possible will help. Clocks under pillows won't help, socialization and company will.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, they need shots all the way up to 12 weeks. Did your Queen's owner give it shots? They need three rounds and it is extremely important for their future health. You kitten's immune system could be compromised.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I applaud your plan to switch to a higher quality food. Make sure it is kitten chow, and make the transition slowly. Add a bit of the new to the old, gradually replacing more and more until you are feeding straight new food. I, personally, recommend keeping kittens on kitten food until they reach 18 months of age and are FULLY mature. Most say 12 months, a few as young as 9, but why take chances?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were eating solids and box trained at 5 weeks, so other than protien, she will be fine. Offer her 24/7 kitten kibble and 2-3 cans of wet food a day.
I couldn't agree more about another kitten. At this age, they are terrors, bullies and they never sleep. Like they ate a pound of coffee. zoom, zoom, zoom.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be fine as long as you play with her tons ! She'll probably bite and scratch a little more as a kitten who'd had that extra time to be tought manners . We had gracie at 7 weeks and the first night she laid next to me when I slept - could feel me breathing ! Yes get her off whiskas asap. It's like junk food for cats ! Buy a cat tree with a basket she can feel safe sleeping in during the day (they feel save sleeping high ) and those kitten bean bags are fab ! Simething she can roll around with !

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes take her to vets asap ! Most prob not had jabs . You might be able to but a kitten plan - 2 jabs (4 weeks apart) flea and worming treatment and a chip plus a health check. I bought a kitten package (all of this ) for £45. It was worth it. Think in some countries they have rabies jab too

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the U.S. it's a series of four at two weeks apart.
There are low cost clinics and even shot clinics that do this for very cheap.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I applaud your plan to switch to a higher quality food. Make sure it is kitten chow, and make the transition slowly. Add a bit of the new to the old, gradually replacing more and more until you are feeding straight new food. I, personally, recommend keeping kittens on kitten food until they reach 18 months of age and are FULLY mature. Most say 12 months, a few as young as 9, but why take chances?
I started my pregnant cat on Purina ONE purposeful nutrition, healthy kitten formula. 1st ingredient is chicken, O fillers and 46g of protein per cup. She is eating a lot of it, nearly 2-3 cups a day since delivery. The kittens were all very healthy and I have never seen her coat so lovely. I may continue her on this unless she gets fat. It isn't cheap at the neighborhood Dillion's 26.00 for 3.5 lbs. But at Walmart, like everything else, it would be cheaper. She loves the taste, so does my male btw, and the little morsels are perfect size. Just a recommendation from a very happy customer.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are on the exact same food. They love it.
I don't do wet food. It is too stinky and not any healthier than the dry food. And more expensive and a downright hassle. I have never seen little miss look so healthy. My vet very much approves.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You should take the new kit to the vet as soon as possible and make sure that any vaccine is cat safe and the vet is using the current protocol for cats. The baby may need to be wormed also since 8 weeks does not seem to be something a breeder would choose to do. Just be careful of the food recommendations as they usually hand out SD which is less than desirable for any cat. At 8 weeks your kit can survive and eat but may have trouble keeping and maintaining body temp. We used a snugglesafe. It was a worthwhile investment as it has survived hundreds or heating in the microwave so far with no sign of wearing out. A kit this small needs to be kept in a safe place when not being watched we used an extra large dog cage.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the worst canned food is more appropriate than any dry.

Dry food means cats can't extract water from it. Cats extract water from their food like their dessert ancestors and the sand cat. That's why cats who eat dry food are so prone to UTI and ckd

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually the worst canned food is more appropriate than any dry.

Dry food means cats can't extract water from it. Cats extract water from their food like their dessert ancestors the sand cat. That's why cats who eat dry food are so prone to UTI and ckd
Hmmmmm..........you could be right, only going on my vet's advice. I have never feed any of my cats wet food and in 40 years never had one with a UTI. But I don't by the cheap food either.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im just saying what my vet told me when Kabby had issues with UTI and blocked penis. He was on orijen at the time back when it was made at the Canadian plant.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im just saying what my vet told me when Kabby had issues with UTI and blocked penis. He was on orijen at the time back when it was made at the Canadian plant.
Like I said, you could be right. Every vet is different, and every animal has different immune systems. I live in the US so I don't know if conditions here are different. We can only offer our best advice as we know it, ultimately up to the pet owner. Hopefully, she will get as many opinions as possible and God bless her with a competent knowlegable vet.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard a lot about how Orijen is for want of better words too rich for cats to be the only food. I would never use it because of that. We feed wet and dry and all of my cats are good water drinkers. I don't see evil in dry food but it should be limited ingredient if possible.

akaLuann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard a lot about how Orijen is for want of better words too rich for cats to be the only food. I would never use it because of that. We feed wet and dry and all of my cats are good water drinkers. I don't see evil in dry food but it should be limited ingredient if possible.
Is Orijen a brand or ingredient? I just looked on my bag says nothing about it.