Taking A House Cat For A Walk

GOODFELLA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Aphrodite is getting more confident with my home. She has been with me for 2 weeks and half now. The weather is getting warmer(Finally) and i thought to take her out but im not sure if
1- is that's a good idea to take a house cat for a walk
2- Is it too early for it
3- How to go about it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This article has some useful tips: Harness And Leash Training For Cats

A good harness that she can't slip out of is essential. I walked our last cat every day, starting when he was about 4 months old and had had all his shots. First I spent a week or so getting him used to the harness in the house, and the first few times outside we just sat on the ground so he could look around. A lot of the "walking" consisted of stalking birds, so I always had something to read with me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not too soon, but make sure she is used to the harness in the home first, that may take several weeks. If you mean without a harness start by opening the door and letting her adventure out to explore on her own terms. I have taken a cat out with a leash and collar at first, the collar and leash gives you just enough time to grab them if they bolt. Stay close to the house and in the yard, she will not be orientated to her new home yet and could easily become lost. It may be a good idea to have her in a crate or something like a rabbit/chicken hutch for a while until she gets used to things. It usually takes about a month for a cat to accept a new home and start to feel it is home, so stay close and make sure she doesn't just bolt and run off.