Taking a bath.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm nervous about bathing Dinah, ad I'm sure it would be a struggle, and I would end up a mess...and her only half washed.. if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions.. ideas??

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bathe my cats only when it's absolutely necessary. They never scartch or struggle but they meow a lot and jump out of the bathtub. So the bathroom floor gets flooded.

Anyway, I use a large pail of lukewarm water. The noise of water pouring out of the faucet upsets the cats, so I fill out the pail prior to bath. I hold kitty with one hand under its chest and lifting it so only its back legs are on solid ground, while I gently pour water on its back with my free hand like I am petting it. At the same time I talk gently to kitty.

If I am lucky, kitty will stay in tub throughout shampoo and rinse. Otherwise, I do end up doing the shampoo and rinsing all over the bathroom.

Then I bundle kitty in towel and pat dry.
Good luck!

Found this similar instructions for bathing cats.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bathe Limerick I just put my hand on his shoulders and he stops struggleing. Make sure the water is luke warm, and get it done quickly. the less stress the better!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a specific reason you feel the need to bathe your cat? As a general rule, cats do not need to be bathed. Unless they get into something that will harm them if they lick it off, then you really shouldn't try to bathe them. It upsets the natural condition of their skin and fur - and can make them itchy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Is there a specific reason you feel the need to bathe your cat? As a general rule, cats do not need to be bathed. Unless they get into something that will harm them if they lick it off, then you really shouldn't try to bathe them. It upsets the natural condition of their skin and fur - and can make them itchy.
Does this go for the foam baths too??

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not really certain I know what is meant by "foam bath", but I still feel strongly that a cat shouldn't need to be bathed at all (with anything) unless they get themselves into something nasty. They generally do a wonderful job at keeping themselves clean unless they are sick or in some other way compromised.

This is not to say that sometimes, you can assist if they need some help - obese cats have a hard time reaching their hiney - and for some long-haired cats, this creates a problem all of its own.

I just don't think it is a good idea unless it is absolutely necessary.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I run a wet washcloth over Nano a couple of times a week. Along her back, on her sides, her stomach (or some of it at least), her backside, etc. Literally just a 2-3 minute rubdown where I hold her on the kitchen counter. She isn't thrilled while this is happening, but then she runs off and grooms herself in private until she is satisfied. The end result is a happier and healthier cat.

Is that a suitable alternative for you? If not, and you really want to do a full bath, the only thing I can say is exhaust her with games and play before trying it. Wear her out so much that she just accepts what is happening and is too tired to make a fuss.

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some Bob Martin, Rub Downs that I use on Guinness. I think a packet of 20 lasted me for over a year as I hardly needed to use them on him. He is brushed every other day, more so atm as he is molting as spring is here. If he has been out in the rain that is when I tend to use the wipes on him. I don't think I would ever attempt to bathe him unless it was vital...

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when marsh was under a year old, we used to bathe him at least once every 6 weeks, now we haven't touched him in at least 4 months and he looks great. I think it's just a matter of preference. But if we do wash him, it will be only if he's dirty of maybe just twice a year for good measure, that's it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's just really rank smelling. I wanted to try to see if bathing her would get the funny smell out, before resorting to the vet. She gets absoutely filthy outside, and just smells like a dirty cat. I have a special shampoo/conditioner made for the sensitive skin of cats.

Thank you all for the tips.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have a grooming page on my website with tips on bathing a cat. I bathe my long haired persian's all the time. I don't see the need for short haired cats. Unless it is a situation like yours and you want to try bathing her as a first option. I really think she needs to see a vet but I understand cash is short for a couple more days. Anyway, If you do want to try the bath then go to www.purrfectpurrsians.net then click on the "Grooming Tips" button. I really hope you can get poor little Dinah in tip top condition soon!