Taking 2 year old, mainly outdoor male cat to my house in the suburbs

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm adopting my friend's mom's 2 year old, mainly outdoor male cat (Rocket)from the country and taking him to my home in the suburbs. He has never been to the vet, so first stop is for vaccinations. I'm getting him Saturday and will take him for shots at a low cost clinic Sunday if it doesn't rain (they don't have the clinic if it rains). I'll have him fixed the next appointment I can get.

Any advice on how to ease this transition for Rocket? I have a big room set up for him with lots of windows and he's my first cat since my beloved Silver died in January. So right now it's just him. I'm worried about Rocket making this huge change. Should I get him sedatives, pheromones, stay in the room with him? I've had cats all my life, but never been in this situation before!

Thanks, Lesleigh

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi lesleigh and well done giving this guy a great home.
My first priority would be the neutering. It will stop him from spraying and exhibiting other Tom behaviour and will help the transition to being an indoor cat. I'd be doing that asap.
Feliway is a good idea. Rather than sedatives I'd make sure his environment is really enriching.. lots of things to climb, toys etc and quality time with you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep him in a single "safe room" for a while, to get him used to you and being in the house. If he was primarily an outdoor cat, your biggest risk is whether he will take the litter box. I'd ask if he was using it, if you have the ability to do that, and if he wasn't . . . well there are strategies, but its tough sometimes! The second big risk is that he will whine for a good long while at being confined, whether its to one room or the whole house. So you really dont want the safe room to be your bedroom. As far away from that as possible. Ideally a furnished basement or bedroom on another floor. Then just spend as much time in the same room as you can. If he isn't friendly yet, just sit in there on your phone, or take a nap on the bed. Go at his pace, no rush, dont get grabby.

Last edited:

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His drive to remain outside will be strong for a while! If he can get out he will, and you may never see him again! Shots and neutering right away! He will spray to mark territory! It will take weeks after he is fixed for the hormones to flush out of his system! Let him come to you when "he" wants! Patience and good luck!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I moved to a new place with 'mostly' indoor cats, I specifically first kept Echo in for weeks so he'd know he was 'home', then got him into a harness (behind front legs up to back, and around neck... both attached on back where leash hook was) and walked him all over the neighborhood a lot, tho' still had no intention of letting him out alone. One day the door was open a bit, he saw another cat on the lawn and took off like a shot. I was so afraid I'd never see him again, but a couple of hrs later he just showed up and wanted in... cuz he'd known his way home from his walks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I just got him home and in his room. Poor little guy-he cried nearly the whole 1 hour 45 minute ride home. Showed him the food and he ate. He was affectionate the time I was with him in there, and I'm going to hang out with Rocket after I get a bit of quiet. I forgot to take a picture, though.

We have an 11:00 vet appointment for check up/ shots tomorrow, and I'll make the next available appointment to have him fixed.
Thanks again, update later!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes about 3 weeks for their internal "GPS" to set to a new home, so that's the most critical time for the both of you. After that, he will be less likely to begin the trek back to his old home. Sounds like you are making a good start for him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rocket is adjusting like a champ! He used the litter box and was very tidy about it. Pretty good for a cat who always went outdoors and never even saw a box. And no spraying.

Our vet visit went well too. Negative results for FeLV, etc., so he has his vaccinations and flea meds too. I did forget to have his ferocious claws trimmed, so another short trip tomorrow. We are just chillin on the sofa now.

Thanks for the support, you guys!

Lesleigh
20230618_153504.jpg