Tails

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
We've probably all, at least once, accidentally pulled or sat on a cat's tail once. I know I have, many times.

My kittens love to snuggle, and sometimes their little tails get stuck between my arm or legs, or under me.

So I was wondering, how hard would you have to pull a cat's tail to actually hurt it? The kittens will try to pull away and complain, and by the time I realize they are stuck they are rather annoyed. But other than that their tails are fine.

Am I hurting them by accidentally sitting on/holding the tails?

skrinkle

Cat mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once who injured his tail somehow before I adopted him. Eventually about two inches of it just died and fell off under the kitchen table. He always had a stiff back, and I assumed it was because of the tail injury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once who injured his tail somehow before I adopted him. Eventually about two inches of it just died and fell off under the kitchen table. He always had a stiff back, and I assumed it was because of the tail injury.
Woah, that must have been a gross mess for you to clean up! Eww.

I had a cat who had been injured, the bone of her tail had been exposed and it was pretty bloody. She healed all by herself those, no vet attention needed. She doesn't even have a scar now! Crazy stuff.

FurrMamaOf5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma kitty Princess was hit by a car... Luckily only her tail was injured.. we took her to the vet immidetly to get her checked out. We already know she would loose part of her tail.. it was hanging by only a few strings.. well he ended up cutting about a 3rd off. She doesn't seem to care for it seem to bother her at all.. I was worried when she gave birth somehow her tail would effect how everything went but she was resilient & did great! Every once in a while the end of her tail will get this like hard piece about the sizze of half a like wall nail.. I think it's trying to grow back but idk how that all works. The vet just says to leave it be. Not exactly the same thing you were talking about.. but she doesn't like her tail played with these days.. but neither do my other 4 animals

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
That's interesting! Thank you all for sharing your stories. Looks like cats have some pretty tough tails.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one years ago that got his tail crunched under the rocker of a rocking chair. It was pretty spectacular, but he had no lasting problems.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I had one years ago that got his tail crunched under the rocker of a rocking chair. It was pretty spectacular, but he had no lasting problems.

Oh my. That must have hurt... ouch.

Well I guess the kittens will be fine with getting their own tails stick under me and therefore slightly pulled. (how they manage to, I don't know)

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not had that problem. One cat I met in a shelter had a tail injury. Poor girl was really friendly but if you touched the wrong spot it was painful. She would of course strike out which lead to people thinking she was not friendly.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not had that problem. One cat I met in a shelter had a tail injury. Poor girl was really friendly but if you touched the wrong spot it was painful. She would of course strike out which lead to people thinking she was not friendly.
Aww, poor kitty. I hope she got adopted eventually.

(Just to clarify, the kittens have only gotten stuck three times, Suki twice and Willy once. It's not like it happens every time. I'm just concerned because they are indoor/outdoor (mainly outdoor) and the tail-balance is important)