Tail With Dangling Nub

MaxineYamazaki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat, Luigi, is the sweetest, happiest boy in the land (like all your kitties, I’m sure), but I’ve been wondering ever since I got him, “What’s wrong with his tail??”

I got him at 8 weeks old and he has a normal tail for about 2 inches, then at the very end it “breaks” off, and there’s a little nub that dangles at the end. He doesn’t seem to feel pain or discomfort by it, but he obviously doesn’t love when I touch it. I think it was also hard for him to get used to balancing and walking when he was a baby. Now, he’s agile as ever! I’m just wondering what that could be or how it happened? His blood brother, Angelo (who I also own), has a perfect, long flowing tail. Poor Luigi :( I think it makes him insecure.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
It's hard to know - it would be useful if the vet took a look and ensured there's no hidden problems that might become issues later on.
The next time you're in at the vet's, ask them, or send a photo in to them now - it may need to be removed, but it's hard to know.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could have been an accident, or a birth defect. If the tip of the tail is totally unattached he doesn't feel anything, other than maybe an annoying dangling feeling. Ask the vet about it the next time you're in. Also, if he hasn't been neutered yet you could have the tail tidied up when he's neutered, that way he only has to go under anesthetic once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaxineYamazaki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a shorter tail and at the end there's a part of it that literally dangles, but is still connected. Since he can't control that part of his tail, he often accidentally poops on his "nub" I call it. It's usually pretty easy to brush it out or cut it, but his most recent accident is pretty bad. It either hurts him or just really annoys him when I've try to cut it out, and he'll hiss/bite/scratch me when I try. It's pretty stuck in there. What do I do?? I don't want him to not trust me, but he can't walk around with poop on his nub!

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your best bet is to take him to the vet. I hate to say it, but having the nub amputated may be you best options :frown: It certainly sounds like it's causing a fair amount of trouble and pain for both of you.

Even if I'm wrong about surgery (and I really hope I am), it sounds like it'll take veterinary care to get this nub cleaning up and pain free. It's clearly hurting your little guy at the moment, and a vet is the best person to help you treat and sort it.

Do let us know how you get on, and what the vet says :vibes::vibes::vibes:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello M MaxineYamazaki and Luigi and welcome to TCS! I'm just guessing he may be a bobtail? I've met a couple of these special cats and noticed that their tails look very disjointed/crooked, though in their case, their tails were normal for the breed. But I can imagine there might be problems if one part of the tail truly is disjointed. I agree with the other posters--a vet visit, or at last a photo sent in to Luigi's vet, would be in order. As for the cleaning problem, I would suggest that if you are able to lower him into your bathroom sink tail-first and soak his hind quarters in warm water with or without cruelty-free or cat-specific shampoo and then rinse and dry him, that would be good. Or if he won't let you do this, there are waterless cat shampoos in foam form that you can buy online at "pet" supply stores or probably on the big sites such as amazon. Those, you just spray on and then work in and wipe. I got one that is natural and cruelty-free, so very safe. It's called VETERINARIAN'S BEST Dry Clean Waterless Cat Bath leave-on foam shampoo with Neem Oil & Oatmeal and it cleans without affecting topical flea control! Hopefully their site is still up: www.vetsbest.com. (CAUTION: I just tried to go there and Google says the site is not safe, so best to try to find it at a store.) Good luck and please let us know how it all turns out! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would have the vet take care of it when he is neutered. He most likely had the tail broken, accident in a door, stepped on, or bitten by an older cat. It could even be a birth defect. No matter what, if he has compensated for it, Poops and pees OK (nerves in the tail affect/control this) it is a hindrance now and can be removed. Poor little mite!