Tail Twitch

jessabridge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When Angel rubs the side of her face on my legs, the base of her tail twitches....what does that mean in cat speak?

Jessa

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
My Sybil does something similar and I've always interpreted it as a sign that she's closed to getting overstimulated and I need to let her calm down. For some cats, I believe it's also just a reaction to touching you - sort of like moving your hand away from something uncomfortable or closer to something you enjoy touching.

That's just my experience, though. I'd be curious to see what others have noticed.

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now I have a purring, relaxed cat on my lap - and his tail is twitching. I really struggle to believe that he's discontent. I don't know. It just doesn't add up for me.

tom the tabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well a cat twitching it's tail is very normal and it could mean different things, it may mean that the cat is happy, mad, or content, it all depends on what angle the tail is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessabridge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well a cat twitching it's tail is very normal and it could mean different things, it may mean that the cat is happy, mad, or content, it all depends on what angle the tail is.
Right now I have a purring, relaxed cat on my lap - and his tail is twitching. I really struggle to believe that he's discontent. I don't know. It just doesn't add up for me.
It is at the very base of the tail.  Where the tail meets her body.  It usually twitches when her tail is standing straight up with almost a hook at the tip.  She will be rubbing her face on my hand & legs, purring and then that strange twitch.  When her tail starts swishing low...I do not pet her.  I let her calm down.  She bit me this morning but I was wearing the ove-glove.  No warning, head butt on my hand then hiss & bite.  I was not even actively petting her.  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww I miss my boy's tail twitch so much! :(

Lucky used to have a tail twitch when he was really happy. The last time I saw it was the day he was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure. He'd just had subqs at the vet's office so was feeling pretty good. My vet actually got to meet my real boy that day! Tail twitch and even rolling around and showing his tummy. Did everything that made him so adorable. Was not just the grump my vet usually saw, lol.

jessabridge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww I miss my boy's tail twitch so much!

Lucky used to have a tail twitch when he was really happy. The last time I saw it was the day he was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure. He'd just had subqs at the vet's office so was feeling pretty good. My vet actually got to meet my real boy that day! Tail twitch and even rolling around and showing his tummy. Did everything that made him so adorable. Was not just the grump my vet usually saw, lol.
Sorry about Lucky. But i am glad to know the tail twitch is a good thing!

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if this is rude, but is she spayed? I've seen a similar reaction to unspayed females ready to be or in heat when a sensation pleases them, however, I've also seen this before in a single neutered male cat, but he was very, very twitch over all. The tip of his tail would vibrate like a rattle snake's when he was happy! Too cute!

jessabridge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry if this is rude, but is she spayed? I've seen a similar reaction to unspayed females ready to be or in heat when a sensation pleases them, however, I've also seen this before in a single neutered male cat, but he was very, very twitch over all. The tip of his tail would vibrate like a rattle snake's when he was happy! Too cute!
It is not rude.  But she is fixed.  It is not the tip of the tail,  just the base.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats moving their tails doesn't necessarily mean they're upset. A tail lashing back and forth is a pretty reliable sign of an angry cat, but a little twitch generally means they're happy and content. Usually this is at the tip of the tail but I've seen it happen at the base, too. The rule of thumb I've always heard is if the tail is twitching or moving slowly it's good, but if it's moving quickly they're getting upset.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in the case of the original post, she meant that the base of the tail probably looks almost like it's vibrating! I always called it "twitchy tail" and yes, my boy only ever did that when he was very happy. He would purr so loudly when it was like that, and the rub his head on my hand as if saying, "Adore me already!" as if I didn't always do that :)

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is not rude.  But she is fixed.  It is not the tip of the tail,  just the base.
I got that you meant it being the base. I just meant I've not seen much base action in male cats- just tip action. I think it's more a female cat thing. It could be that's just a reaction to how it feels to face-rub on you- I personally shudder any time someone touches my hair, and that's just because I've got wild nerves! [emoji]128568[/emoji]