Tail Puffs Up - No Apparent Threats?

haiitsvi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed recently that my cat's tail puffs up sometimes when he's just running around, presumably just keeping himself entertained. I'm not sure if he's scared of anything as just a moment ago he was fine until he started running around. He's been doing it more recently, a couple times this week already.

I adopted him a few months ago and he came from a home that was hoarding cats. Could this possibly be a PTSD-like symptom? Or something affecting his health that is making him scared? He is 5 years old.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure I know what you mean by 'puffs up'. If he is doing mostly while playing and running, you wouldn't think it was a negative thing.

Not sure if this is the same, but Feeby will raise her tail and shake it (almost the motion of trying to spray, or so I am guessing, as she has never sprayed). At first, it freaked me out because of the possibility of spraying, and even now I worry because she is getting older (14+).

Usually if she does this it is because of something that has excited her (not in a bad way) - unfortunately related to food a lot of the time, but some times when she is playing or someone is talking to her.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed recently that my cat's tail puffs up sometimes when he's just running around, presumably just keeping himself entertained
Yoshi goes full on Halloween cat (puffy tail, spine arched, shine hair standing at attention) and sometimes even bouncing sideways when he is playing. It's the height of happiness for him. If he is ok before and after it's probably part of his zoomie routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haiitsvi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean the fur on his tail stands up and gets poofy. Yeah he doesn't seem scared so I guess he's just having fun lol.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puffy tail isn't just fear, it's also used to intimidate an enemy. Kitty is practicing.

Puffy tail makes kitty look bigger. Some day he'll puff all or almost all his fur out. Intimidation is always better than fighting. When you fight win or lose you might get hurt which would keep you from hunting for several days and you'd die.

If you've ever heard two toms getting ready to fight, you know the first 15- 30 minutes is yowling at each other. They are trying to persuade the other to give up without a fight. This comes before the puff, or at least before the wrestling clench.

It's fine. He's doing what he's supposed to do.