Tail chewing?

katiebee2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had got my two kittens loki and sir and everything has been going great! I finally got them social with me and life is good :clap: but now ive been noticing that one of my kittens is chewing on her tail .. just the tip of it... she is normal otherwise but she chews her tail to the point where the tip is soaked.. it looks like some sort of scorpion claw or something because the rest is poofy then the tip is pointy and wet.. I tell her no but lets be honest..she doesnt listen to me lol.I really hope this is some sort of phase. They are about 6 months old and I found a tooth the other day so maybe it's just teething? Anyone elses cat do this or should I be worried about something. Any answers are appreciated :D

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL

Our Loki is 11 years old, and he still sucks on his tail.

We think it's a habit he developed from his weaning.  He was the last one to wean off Momma Kitty, he just did not want to let go.  Finally, we helped her kick him off the teat.  So he started sucking his tail... and never really stopped.  It was so bad at one point that his tail fur was super short and had turned kind of a rusted color.  We took him to the vet, concerned that he was actually doing damage, but no. 

He does it less often now, but every once in a while, before he settles for bed, he'll suck on his tail.  And man, can he get that thing down his throat!  I swear, it's a good 2 inches!  We just laugh at him now, sucking on his "woobie".  lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiebee2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol to funny same name and behavior. She sucks on it and absolutely soaks it.. I found kitty litter on the couch yesterday and was just like COME ON REALLY! Seeing as how I bought multiple rugs to prevent this and what do you know.. she walks by with some on her tail. Lol thanks for lightening my mood about it.:D ofcourse I put it in google and get that it could be fleas! I was panicing and searching her for fleas or flea bites everytime I saw her doing it and nothing so ill just be watching it making sure it doesnt look like shes agitated by it! Thanks for the reply

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiebee2611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sucks on it then grooms then sucks on it.. I have been checking for fleas and have found nothing so I think im just going to keep an eye on it for now and make sure it doesnt get worse. Thanks for the reply!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it is just the equivalent of human kids sucking their thumbs. It might be just a reflection of being weaned too early, or kittens who were orphaned. It will either disapear completey in due time, or reappear here in there on the odd occassion. Sometimes it can appear again if the cat is stressed. Even normally weaned kittens can react with tail sucking at times.

My Morgana did something similar, but it was with my fingers. Eventually it dwindled down, and now at soon-to-be four years old she has pretty much stopped it. Her momma died soon after her birth, and I was the one who raised her.

Altogether it should be totally fine, as long as it doesn't transfer into sucking/eating other things that would harm your kitty, or if her tail starts to get really sore.

If she is sucking, chewing or licking other things, then it could be a sign of a mineral/vitamin deficiency or there is a stubborn hairball that is bothering her.

Otherwise, if she is happy, lively, eating well, pooping well, and all that jazz, then everything is likely dandy
 All the best with your sweatheart!