T foetus: What was your experience?

tweeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am dealing with a situation with my almost 1 year old kitten. Many months of large bowel diarrhea with mucus and fresh blood. No other issues (no vomiting, lethargy, etc). He is growing fine and has healthy appetite and normal kitten behavior. His is also purebred from a cattery. They type of diarrhea, symptoms, and his origin makes us think T foetus (1 vet agrees). However, we have had 3 different PCR tests with 2 different vets over the course of several months and all negative for anything (including T foetus). We noticed when he was on Metro he will firm up, but will revert back once he is off. Psyllium husk seems to help but probiotics worsen the problem. Have tried many foods. Has anyone had a similar journey with T foetus being so elusive? Did it turn out to be something else? Please share.
Thanks,
Aaron

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merlin had runs for a few months when I took him in, he tested pos for c diff but t foeotus was suspected too and he took ronidazole for it eventually. He also took doxy and other meds including panacur etc. He has an us that showed possible mild ibd and was on a steroid for a while-
eventually I took himoff all meds and put him the home cooked and he recovered.
Same for Zena, he tested pos for giardia and hookworm. I suspected tf when he didn’t get better with metro and panacur. Eventually we stopped meds and switched him to home cooked and fussie cat- he recovered but he is still getting some soft stool a bit now again, mostly from the fc maybe, I am not sure yet.
I think tf is hard to test for, both had pcr neg for that. Merlin had pos pcr for c diff and Zena had pos regular stool tests for hookworm and giardia. After treatment he was neg on reg and on pcr.

M did not really firm up on metro but Zena did but would go back and forth on it. Maybe it is also food sensitivities which My 3 guys all have.

Tritrichomonas foetus infection in cats | International Cat Care

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a raw diet to see if that helps? I would think that if you were dealing with t. foetus it would show up on one of the PCR tests that have been conducted. Did any of the vets do the PCR diarrhea panel?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a raw diet to see if that helps? I would think that if you were dealing with t. foetus it would show up on one of the PCR tests that have been conducted. Did any of the vets do the PCR diarrhea panel?
Raw is an option but I need to be able to feed him kibble on occasion and I have tried so many. I have also tried many canned foods. The PCRs were diarrhea panels. A vet told me that t foetus does not always shed in the stool so it is possible that I had bad timing on my samples.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Raw is an option but I need to be able to feed him kibble on occasion and I have tried so many.
Could you feed freeze dried raw as an option when you need to feed kibble on occasion? I feed one of mine Feline Naturals in the dehydrated state because he refuses it if it's hydrated. It comes in pretty small pieces very similar to kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you feed freeze dried raw as an option when you need to feed kibble on occasion? I feed one of mine Feline Naturals in the dehydrated state because he refuses it if it's hydrated. It comes in pretty small pieces very similar to kibble.
I am going to try that. I always thought you had to hydrate those first. Thanks.

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Woody found with Tritrichomonas foetus since he was 5 months. He was on Ronidazole treatment for 2 rounds but the soft poo and bloody mucus keep coming back. In between the treatment has tried Metronirazole and Tylosin seems not help much. He is now 10 months. The Hills ID Biome helps to firm up the stool but was OOO for 2 months so I have no choice but to change to Hills ID. after discussed w the vet we tried to start the Ronidazole again. Unfortunately after 7 days he was not eating with some side eff so I have to stop.
Now I am very stress coz seems like nothing i can do to stop the blood. He would poo 3 to 6 times per day
any one have similar experience

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Woody found with Tritrichomonas foetus since he was 5 months. He was on Ronidazole treatment for 2 rounds but the soft poo and bloody mucus keep coming back. In between the treatment has tried Metronirazole and Tylosin seems not help much. He is now 10 months. The Hills ID Biome helps to firm up the stool but was OOO for 2 months so I have no choice but to change to Hills ID. after discussed w the vet we tried to start the Ronidazole again. Unfortunately after 7 days he was not eating with some side eff so I have to stop.
Now I am very stress coz seems like nothing i can do to stop the blood. He would poo 3 to 6 times per day
Have they done us to see if he has ibd? It could be food sensitivities also. I have my guys on a home cooked diet and some grain free canned mostly fussie cat and it virtually cured Merlin and Quinn and now Zena too. Merlin was found to have possible ibd as well as c difficile and was on steroids for a while as well. Zena had giardia and hook worm. Quinn started having runs etc. after flea poisons but he has food sensitivities mostly to grains.

You might also retest for other parasites as well.

Last edited:

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they done us to see if he has ibd? It could be food sensitivities also. I have my guys on a home cooked diet and some grain free canned mostly fussie cat and it virtually cured Merlin and Quinn and now Zena too. Merlin was found to have possible ibd as well as c difficile and was on steroids for a while as well. Zena had giardia and hook worm. Quinn started having runs etc. after flea poisons but he has food sensitivities mostly to grains.

You might also retest for other parasites as well.
i did the full pcr test for Woody and only confirm with Tritri. Since during the last 2 Ronidazole treatment his blood stool has stopped so likely is just the issue this parasites. He never vomits and did not loose weight.
Now will see if I should take him for ultrasound check on the GI.
If is just soft or watery poo I have less concern. Yet the blood never stop

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Merlin had runs for a few months when I took him in, he tested pos for c diff but t foeotus was suspected too and he took ronidazole for it eventually. He also took doxy and other meds including panacur etc. He has an us that showed possible mild ibd and was on a steroid for a while-
eventually I took himoff all meds and put him the home cooked and he recovered.
Same for Zena, he tested pos for giardia and hookworm. I suspected tf when he didn’t get better with metro and panacur. Eventually we stopped meds and switched him to home cooked and fussie cat- he recovered but he is still getting some soft stool a bit now again, mostly from the fc maybe, I am not sure yet.
I think tf is hard to test for, both had pcr neg for that. Merlin had pos pcr for c diff and Zena had pos regular stool tests for hookworm and giardia. After treatment he was neg on reg and on pcr.

M did not really firm up on metro but Zena did but would go back and forth on it. Maybe it is also food sensitivities which My 3 guys all have.

Tritrichomonas foetus infection in cats | International Cat Care
may i know what home cook U gave him?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
may i know what home cook U gave him?
Yes I use chicken, chicken liver and supplements from alnutrin at knowwhatyoufeed.com

The recipe I use is posted there for raw meat but I cook it. They can help you figure out the proportions and which supplement you need. It goes per pound of meat, so for say 8 lbs chicken it is 8 x 6.66 g of supplement and 8 x 1.6 oz liver. I use the supplement with regular calcium and with eggs I think, and measure it on a special scale. The supplement is mixed in water and added to the meat after it cools. I let it sit in a dish of water to dissolve and then use a hand beater to mix it. I mince / grind the meat in a food processor and then store in glass containers in the fridge, some gets frozen. Supplements are mixed in after grinding. You need to add enough moisture / water to mix everythung and make it a nice consistency, I add the chicken juice as well. Frozen portions need more moisture.

I add pumpkin to their plate for fiber.

If you email they will help you figure it out.

Last edited:

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I use chicken, chicken liver and supplements from alnutrin at knowwhatyoufeed.com

The recipe I use is posted there for raw meat but I cook it. They can help you figure out the proportions and which supplement you need. It goes per pound of meat, so for say 8 lbs chicken it is 8 x 6.66 g of supplement and 8 x 1.6 oz liver. I use the supplement with regular calcium and with eggs I think, and measure it on a special scale. The supplement is mixed in water and added to the meat after it cools. I let it sit in a dish of water to dissolve and then use a hand beater to mix it. I mince / grind the meat in a food processor and then store in glass containers in the fridge, some gets frozen. Supplements are mixed in after grinding. You need to add enough moisture / water to mix everythung and make it a nice consistency, I add the chicken juice as well. Frozen portions need more moisture.

I add pumpkin to their plate for fiber.

If you email they will help you figure it out.
thanks. many people suggest me to go for raw meat but I am not confident to handle that. Now consider freeze dry and definitely try your suggestions

mwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Woody doing? Any luck with firming up his poops?