Syringe Feeding/milk Thistle

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not know what his numbers are she didn’t say Fatty liver she said pancreatitis and liver shutting down. She told me it’s reversible. That we needed to get him to eat . That’s why I’m syringe feeding because he won’t eat on his own. I did buy some kittens milk. He’s almost 15 pounds. I am trying to give him 300 calories a day. I am trying to feed him 3 times a day. He’s not liking it much . I’m having a hard time making up that many calories.
Alright, so I'm going to think that he's in some form of fatty liver because she told you to get him to eat. What a big boy! That's going to be difficult but things are going to start slow. He's not going to wake up tomorrow and be eating better. This is going to require some diligent coaxing and supplementing on your end to get him back there.

I will say that because calories are really important here, don't try to find foods that don't have vitamin K3 in them just yet. The important thing is to get him back to eating on his own and then you can find a brand that doesn't have K3 in it that he'll enjoy. Get him to eat whatever he will and can handle.

Kitten replacement milk is great to give him in a bowl or syringe feed. It unfortunately doesn't have a whole lot of calories but it's better than nothing. Mixing it in wet foods is also a good idea to syringe feed as you're only increasing calorie content. Kitten food has more calories in it and it's typically smellier than regular foods so it might be more enticing to eat. Royal Canin has a food that's a mousse style called mother and babycat. It has lots of calories. Fancy Feast also has some versions that are really high calorie as well. Start there and with Friskies to see if he'll eat those. Watch how he's eating what you do offer him (if he's eating at all). My Mika only lapped at food and wouldn't take chunks. I switched her to a mousse food so she'd actually be getting food into her. If that's the case, check out TikiCat Velvet.

The important thing is pushing and coaxing him to eat. I would sit with Mika and stir up the food and offer it again. I'd put treats, kibble, tuna chunks and tuna juice on her food to entice her to keep eating. She'd only nibble in the beginning but the more calories we got into her daily, the stronger she got and the more she would eat.

Furballsmom Furballsmom has a really amazing list of foods to put with wet food and also other things he can eat to try and keep calories going in. It really helped me when I was going through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, so I'm going to think that he's in some form of fatty liver because she told you to get him to eat. What a big boy! That's going to be difficult but things are going to start slow. He's not going to wake up tomorrow and be eating better. This is going to require some diligent coaxing and supplementing on your end to get him back there.

I will say that because calories are really important here, don't try to find foods that don't have vitamin K3 in them just yet. The important thing is to get him back to eating on his own and then you can find a brand that doesn't have K3 in it that he'll enjoy. Get him to eat whatever he will and can handle.

Kitten replacement milk is great to give him in a bowl or syringe feed. It unfortunately doesn't have a whole lot of calories but it's better than nothing. Mixing it in wet foods is also a good idea to syringe feed as you're only increasing calorie content. Kitten food has more calories in it and it's typically smellier than regular foods so it might be more enticing to eat. Royal Canin has a food that's a mousse style called mother and babycat. It has lots of calories. Fancy Feast also has some versions that are really high calorie as well. Start there and with Friskies to see if he'll eat those. Watch how he's eating what you do offer him (if he's eating at all). My Mika only lapped at food and wouldn't take chunks. I switched her to a mousse food so she'd actually be getting food into her. If that's the case, check out TikiCat Velvet.

The important thing is pushing and coaxing him to eat. I would sit with Mika and stir up the food and offer it again. I'd put treats, kibble, tuna chunks and tuna juice on her food to entice her to keep eating. She'd only nibble in the beginning but the more calories we got into her daily, the stronger she got and the more she would eat.

Furballsmom Furballsmom has a really amazing list of foods to put with wet food and also other things he can eat to try and keep calories going in. It really helped me when I was going through this.
Thanks so much! He’s not eating on his own. I was desperate so I puréed some of his dry food with kittens milk and a little water. He doesn’t like chunky food so I by pate’ in the canned food. Thank you all so much. What a big help and comfort you have been in this difficult time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some toppers you could try, and see if they'll entice your cat to eat;
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
    you could crumble treats onto the wet food, Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! He’s not eating on his own. I was desperate so I puréed some of his dry food with kittens milk and a little water. He doesn’t like chunky food so I by pate’ in the canned food. Thank you all so much. What a big help and comfort you have been in this difficult time.
My girl still refuses chunks, morsels, or shreds! Can't get anything that isn't pate or mousse now.

This is going to be stressful but try to keep your eye on the prize. You're not alone in this AT ALL! You're always welcome to come back here and to vent too! Please keep us updated on how your boy does!

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl still refuses chunks, morsels, or shreds! Can't get anything that isn't pate or mousse now.

This is going to be stressful but try to keep your eye on the prize. You're not alone in this AT ALL! You're always welcome to come back here and to vent too! Please keep us updated on how your boy does

Yes you are right . It already is stressful. I have learned so much from you all. I will surely keep you updated. Thanks so much!

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
Most vets offer high calorie food that comes in a tube like tooth paste. And Hill makes a food called AD for cats that are sick but wont eat. Watch out for these because they're high sugar and high fat which wont be good for the liver or pancreas to process.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no words of advise for you on the milk thistle. I hope you find out what's going on with your kitty and he makes a full recovery.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that your cat is hyperthyroid and is on methimazole. Can you talk a little more about this? What came first: the methimazole or the liver problems? I’m asking because liver damage is a well known side effect of methimazole in some cats.

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no words of advise for you on the milk thistle. I hope you find out what's going on with your kitty and he makes a full recovery.
Thanks all! He seems to showing a tiny bit of improvement. He went to the water bowl by himself this morning. He’s laying beside it but at least he’s not hiding

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will he eat kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet...
I don’t know what that is. I will have to research it thanks. He is show a tiny bit of improvement. Went to the water bowl on his own this morning.

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you talk with your vet about these things for the liver? Or maybe find a different vet who is more focused on your baby's liver.
Let me get some food brands..
Talk to your vet and suggest you lay off the meds so his body can cleanse itself. The liver is the body's main processor and filter, and if he's taking meds which affect the liver's ability to function(side effects) he needs a break from them. I'm sure your vet will agree.

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on My Emmitt... I see a little more improvement everyday. I am still feeding him by syringe to make sure he’s is getting enough calories. He is drinking a little water on his own and he ate a probiotic treat! I am estatic! I can’t thank you enough for your support and advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I know you said you're using a drinkwell, and those have charcoal filters. If it were me, I think I'd also add another level of decontaminant filtering and either obtain a water pitcher (these may need really good cleaning to avoid buildup) or a faucet-end filter.
Here's hoping improvement is still continuing!! :redheartpump:

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you said you're using a drinkwell, and those have charcoal filters. If it were me, I think I'd also add another level of decontaminant filtering and either obtain a water pitcher (these may need really good cleaning to avoid buildup) or a faucet-end filter.
Here's hoping improvement is still continuing!! :redheartpump:
Good advise ;)

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that your cat is hyperthyroid and is on methimazole. Can you talk a little more about this? What came first: the methimazole or the liver problems? I’m asking because liver damage is a well known side effect of methimazole in some cats.
Sorry I just seen this
The metimazole was first maybe we should switch to the cream.