Symptoms With Kidney Problem?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my14 year old boy has kidney issue, as you may know. He continues to lose weight, and now his hind legs wobble even when he stands. Does this cause by his illness? He’s being cared by his Vet, but seems to be a losing battle. I’m just trying to make him comfortable.
Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know much about kidney disease. But, I do believe that weakness can be a symptom - which might explain the wobbly back legs. What kind of care is your guy getting for his kidney issues other than I assume a specific type of diet - any meds?

I think you should call the vet and ask about it, just in case they might want to take another look at him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know much about kidney disease. But, I do believe that weakness can be a symptom - which might explain the wobbly back legs. What kind of care is your guy getting for his kidney issues other than I assume a specific type of diet - any meds?

I think you should call the vet and ask about it, just in case they might want to take another look at him.
Yeah I’ll check with his vet, thank you

myrlien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My cat also has kidney disease and wobbly back legs. The wobblyness improved a lot when we started treating her kidney disease (she was a stray beforehand so wasn't getting any medication).

Her back legs used to 'collapse' but it got a lot better when I started her on aluminum hydroxide phosphorus binder and subq fluids. However it was possible that the improvement was due to overall health since she wasn't being fed or cared for before I got her.

We saw our vet again a few weeks ago she said low potassium may be a cause for the back leg weakness. She added potassium chloride to the subq fluid bags. I gave the first dose with the supplement yesterday so it's too early to tell if it will actually help.

Maybe ask your vet about your cat's potassium levels and check if they can benefit from a supplement?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weak hind legs are a symptom of CKD. Between the muscle wasting and increased toxicity because the kidneys aren't working well and dehydration, one, if not all of those will cause the hind legs to become very weak. With our CKD kitty, simply starting sub-Q fluids and changing his diet really helped. We also did physiotherapy with him after his first crash and that also did wonders.