Symmetrical wound inside of a cat's ear (pics included)

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my thai siamese 5 month old kitten had mites in ears, I got for him eardrops (they're against mites, fungus, infections and allergies and they also contain antibiotics) and had to use them twice a day for 10days, then wait a week to start the second 10day doses.

Today is the first day I started giving the drops, and in the morning during first dose I noticed on a particular spot in his ear looks wounded and had some blood there.

Now in the evening I gave him second dose of eardrops, and noticed the same kind of wound in the other ear in the same spot too.

The kitten is eating well, active, not balding near his ears or anywhere on his body (so far, hopefully, knowing our luck I'm hoping it's nothing serious), he doesn't scratch his ear as often anymore like the time before I gave him first 10days of ear drops, he runs and walks normally generally the cat seems healthy apart from the look in his ears.(the grease on the hairs around the ear is due to the eardrops that
SmartSelect_20220910-215710_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20220910-215649_Gallery.jpg

Note that the grease on the hairs around the ear is due to the eardrops, as well as the yellow surrounding crust is also from eardrops

My question is, is it an early sign of tumor or some sort of infection? I'm really concerned from the first pic posted
Or could it possibly be the eardrops side effects?

The vet I'm trying to contact unfortunately is not in reach, due to certain circumstances in my country. I appreciate any replies and advices!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello
Is there a different vet you could contact about this? I don't think I can make any suggestions other than stopping the drops, but I don't know .. ..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you looked up possible side effects of the ear drops? It's really hard to tell you much when we don't even know which ear drops you were using. But let me get this straight...you already did the first 10 days worth of drops, correct? And then waited one week and now is when you are starting with the second round? What color are the ear drops? Are they orange colored?

To me, I don't think it's the beginnings of any tumor type thing, nor do i think it's an infection. I really think it's just the medication itself, especially since your cat doesn't seem to be as bothered now as prior to the beginning of treatment. But I don't know what his ears looked like before :sigh:. Is it possible to at least email those pictures to your Vet for them to look at and perhaps then they can respond?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you looked up possible side effects of the ear drops? It's really hard to tell you much when we don't even know which ear drops you were using. But let me get this straight...you already did the first 10 days worth of drops, correct? And then waited one week and now is when you are starting with the second round? What color are the ear drops? Are they orange colored?

To me, I don't think it's the beginnings of any tumor type thing, nor do i think it's an infection. I really think it's just the medication itself, especially since your cat doesn't seem to be as bothered now as prior to the beginning of treatment. But I don't know what his ears looked like before :sigh:. Is it possible to at least email those pictures to your Vet for them to look at and perhaps then they can respond?
Thank you for response! I apologise for the missing information, the eardrops used are called Opter Brouwer, and yes I've already done the first 10 days and now is the second round as you said.

His ears before were really dirty had a lot of wax and coffee ground-like wax, he used to shake his head and scratch a lot. After giving the first round 10days, his ears were looking so much cleaner, he felt better after the first round too (he wasn't feeling well before we gave him the medication, he was lethargic and had eaten less but still had appetite)

The best description I have of the eardrops based on my own experiment:
The color of the eardrops is colorless, I wanted to test how they feel like to the touch to understand what my cat feels in his ears; so I dropped on my hand, and it was really oily, it also started to warm my hand, that must've been the reason why my kitten hated them so much.

The side effects of the eardrops were loss of balance, and weak appetite (due to antibiotics)

I found information that these eardrops can cause blood appearance when cleaning the ears and that its not a concern, I was confused as of why my kitten has wounds symmetrically in both ears.

About the vet situation, I've contacted them and they're not responding, they're 2 hours away from my home so its quite the road trip, and I can say they're the only vet I partially trust in this country
The nearest vets in my area I've had bad experiences with.

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
Is there a different vet you could contact about this? I don't think I can make any suggestions other than stopping the drops, but I don't know .. ..
Thank you for the reply!
The other vets available around my area I've had bad experiences with, I've been to 4 different vets and the only one who was actually helpful has good reputation and experience, except they're not responding at all. Finding a good vet is quite hard to say the least in my country.

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did had the same issue with Mia . We started ear treatment and she wqs full of wounds . The vet recommend us to clean hear ears with stick as usual and after finishing , to use a cotton pad with Betadine and some spray for wounds (i don t know it name ) . Don t panic, it may be some side effect of the treatment . Try use another treatment or continue with this and use what i have told you. We wish you the best !!🥰

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did had the same issue with Mia . We started ear treatment and she wqs full of wounds . The vet recommend us to clean hear ears with stick as usual and after finishing , to use a cotton pad with Betadine and some spray for wounds (i don t know it name ) . Don t panic, it may be some side effect of the treatment . Try use another treatment or continue with this and use what i have told you. We wish you the best !!🥰
This is a relief!
Our vet did not warn about the wounds after first round of eardrops I couldn't have guessed that it will cause some wounds, after reading numerous articles I barely found any information until I went on foreign websites.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice!!

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a relief!
Our vet did not warn about the wounds after first round of eardrops I couldn't have guessed that it will cause some wounds, after reading numerous articles I barely found any information until I went on foreign websites.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice!!
Just go with Betadine after cleaning the ears . We cleaned ger wounds 2-4 times a day and she is fine now .
the problem will appear if you don t desinfect the wounds because can cause another problems -our started licking her ears non stop . The spray we used is from Vetexpert - with chlorhexidine -if you don t find anything there similar u can use only the Betadine and will be very good. Don t go for natural remedies witouth vet consult

don t worryeverything will be just fine 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🥰

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just go with Betadine after cleaning the ears . We cleaned ger wounds 2-4 times a day and she is fine now .
the problem will appear if you don t desinfect the wounds because can cause another problems -our started licking her ears non stop . The spray we used is from Vetexpert - with chlorhexidine -if you don t find anything there similar u can use only the Betadine and will be very good. Don t go for natural remedies witouth vet consult

don t worryeverything will be just fine 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🥰
I see I've started treating the wounds and hoping soon his ears will heal! I contacted a vet abroad and discussed the matter of what to use a disinfectant; nevertheless thank you for these tips!!