Swollen Paw

eitakk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got home from work today and went upstairs to find my cat asleep on my bed. Pretty standard, I started stroking him but whenever I get near his back paws he meows to warn me to stop. He’s definitely in pain and his paw is 100% swollen. I’m really worried I’m calling the vet first thing in the morning to make an appointment for tomorrow but he keeps shaking (almost shivering) his swollen paw. Is this a sign of infection? I’m honestly clueless and so worried, I’ve only noticed this today and now that I’m thinking of it, he’s been growling all day whenever anyone has touched him so it either happened last night or this morning. Here’s some pictures of his injury:
2E90BA90-917A-47B8-A3EF-85EB2966394E.jpeg

78DB8CCE-D7FD-42EA-8A3F-FA437D002A45.jpeg
5B6E064E-0ACE-45BD-B810-0074F61DC7E2.jpeg

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what could have happened? I’m so worried about him

Thanks in advance

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look infected at this point. Does he go outdoors? If so, he might have gotten some foreign property/parasite imbedded in his paw. A bite from another animal? Is he walking on it?

I honestly have no idea. But, if you can manage it, you could at least give him some possible relief from whatever it is, by using a chamomile tea bag (grocery store, no additives), brew it, cool the liquid, and your case soak up a paper towel with it and drip it over the spot (I normally say dab it on with a cotton ball, but he probably isn't going to like that much). The tea has both soothing and healing properties, but is not going to hurt him otherwise in any way.

I sure hope you can get him to the vet ASAP - obviously, as you know the swelling is very concerning.

I wish I could help more - and hopefully other members on this site will have some better suggestions on how to help him until he is seen by a vet. They will be along soon, I am sure, everyone here is always willing to lend a helping hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eitakk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look infected at this point. Does he go outdoors? If so, he might have gotten some foreign property/parasite imbedded in his paw. A bite from another animal? Is he walking on it?

I honestly have no idea. But, if you can manage it, you could at least give him some possible relief from whatever it is, by using a chamomile tea bag (grocery store, no additives), brew it, cool the liquid, and your case soak up a paper towel with it and drip it over the spot (I normally say dab it on with a cotton ball, but he probably isn't going to like that much). The tea has both soothing and healing properties, but is not going to hurt him otherwise in any way.

I sure hope you can get him to the vet ASAP - obviously, as you know the swelling is very concerning.

I wish I could help more - and hopefully other members on this site will have some better suggestions on how to help him until he is seen by a vet. They will be along soon, I am sure, everyone here is always willing to lend a helping hand.
Thank you, yes he is an outdoor cat but my dad has just informed me that he hasn’t been out at all since this morning so I’m assuming whatever happened to him happened then. He’s been on my bed all day...I’m going to check if I have any chamomile teabags here. It’s almost 11pm so I won’t be able to nip out to the shop and also have to wait until 9am for the vets to open. I’m seriously worried, I lifted him up to see if he would walk on it but he just kept it high up in the air and lay straight back down on my bed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although I'm sorry your cat's swollen paw is what brought you here. It is a bit difficult to tell the full extent of what is causing the issue with his paw but it does appear that there is something embedded in it.

When your dad let him out do you know if he stayed on your property or frequents the neighborhood? FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you a good suggestion about the chamomile tea bag if it's late at night where you live. Do you have a 24 hr. emergency veterinary clinic that you can call to ask for advice until you can get him to the vet in the morning?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor baby. At this point, I am sure you know to make arrangement to provide him all that he needs very nearby food/water/litterbox. Do you have Betadine - that could be an alternative to the chamomile tea bags?

I like neely neely 's suggestion about an ER vet that you could at least call and ask for some advice to help him over the night. And, do keep us posted. If need be, continue to ask questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eitakk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although I'm sorry your cat's swollen paw is what brought you here. It is a bit difficult to tell the full extent of what is causing the issue with his paw but it does appear that there is something embedded in it.

When your dad let him out do you know if he stayed on your property or frequents the neighborhood? FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you a good suggestion about the chamomile tea bag if it's late at night where you live. Do you have a 24 hr. emergency veterinary clinic that you can call to ask for advice until you can get him to the vet in the morning?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:
Oh, poor baby. At this point, I am sure you know to make arrangement to provide him all that he needs very nearby food/water/litterbox. Do you have Betadine - that could be an alternative to the chamomile tea bags?

I like neely neely 's suggestion about an ER vet that you could at least call and ask for some advice to help him over the night. And, do keep us posted. If need be, continue to ask questions.
Thank you both for your help and suggestions, they really calmed me as I tend to panic whenever there’s anything wrong with my baby..
Brought him to the vet first thing this morning and turns out he got a very very bad bite (off another cat) to his ankle, which is what I began to think happened. The vet said it looks like it happened as he was trying to run away. It would be the equivalent to someone biting us hard on the shin bone. He shaved his leg a bit just to see the bite and it goes really deep:
image.jpg

He got an anti-inflammatory and antibiotic injection and gave me antibiotics to give him for the next 7 days as well as a spray for his food. Have to keep him in for the next few days, hopefully he makes a quick recovery :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor boy, that look sore. Glad the vet has seen him, you must feel better knowing that he will be ok. Lots of rest and love and he will he back to normal soon.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he is being treated. I thought it might be a bite that made an abscess but you were taking him to the vet anyway.

Long term I know how hard it is to keep a outdoor cat inside. If you can afford it I would do the cat fencing that keeps other cats out of your yard and your cat inyour yard. I'm such a worry wart my kitten only goes outside in his harness.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor honey. Glad you took him to the vet to get checked so quickly and he is being treated for the bite. Hope he heals up real quickly.