Swollen Lymph Nodes?

oceanmist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago I noticed Piper had two lumps on her jaw. I assumed they were her lymph nodes because of the location and brought her into the vet yesterday. The vet said she was perfectly healthy and she wasn't sure what it could be. She recommended we wait two weeks and see what happens. If things don't get better, we'll probably be doing a biopsy on them to see what is causing the swelling. The vet isn't highly concerned about lymphoma since Piper is so young and healthy. And it was only last night that I've ever even heard her cough. I'm not even sure if that was related or if she got a feather off of a toy or something. Other than that she's acting normally, but we've only had her two months so her personality is still developing.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just so nervous about this becoming a huge issue. Like I said, we've only had her two months and I really wasn't expecting to be doing emergency vet visits so soon or having to shell out money for tests this early on.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this is exactly what you're describing, but my girl does have a lump on the left side of her jaw in that area. We had a needle aspiration done a couple of years ago (when I rescued her), and it came back clear. It can get quite big when left alone - maybe big cherry sized - but it responds very well to steroids, and doesn't seem to cause her any pain or problems. I wish I could give you more information, but beyond knowing that its benign, my vet hasn't been able to figure out the original cause.

I wouldn't get too worried about Piper just yet - there's every chance that whatever it is will be easily treatable, or even resolve itself in time. Its highly unlikely that cancer would hit on both sides of the jaw simultaneously (from what I know, anyway ;) ), so I certainly wouldn't be panicking just yet :) I'm sorry I can't give you a more precise answer, but hopefully my experience will reassure you a little :crossfingers::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oceanmist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well today was her check up. One lymph node went back to normal but the other one stayed large and hardened a bit. The vet was concerned by this and I ended up having the vet aspirate the lymph node and send out a sample. We should find out the results by Saturday. Fingers crossed it doesn't need to be removed.

oceanmist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not cancer! Most likely it is an infection so we're going in to pick up some antibiotics today.

oceanmist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The lymph nodes are almost back to normal! We have one day left of antibiotics! :hyper: