Swollen lymph nodes after neuter

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little problem child, 7 month old Loki, got neutered on Monday (5 days ago). I say problem child because he’s FeLV+ (although, a presumed regressive infection) and he already racked up many vet bills in his short life.

I noticed today that the lymph nodes in his neck are swollen. He’s also hacking up water after he drinks and he’s still less spunky. I had a vet appointment for him this morning, but he had other plans. After 30 minutes of being scratched up and stressing him out, I gave up. So yes, I do have every intention to get him to the vet, but I’m having issues even getting him in his crate. He was feral when we found him so he’s a handful.

I know he just us had surgery, but the swollen lymph nodes & coughing up water are alarming. I know this could be FeLV related, but I’m curious, has this happened to anyone else?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not ever had an FeLV cat, so cannot comment directly, but I would continue to try for the vet visit with him. The neutering was recent, but the throwing up water is very unusual. As for the lymph nodes, the location of the swelling can be an indication of the cause and I would want to know if something coincidental to the neutering is going on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep on keeping on. He does need to see the vet. I know what a struggle that is.

Once this is under control, I suggest keeping the carrier in the open, with the door removed, if it is a hard-sided carrier. Begin giving him treats, first in front of, then IN the carrier. Once he is very used to that, put the door on, but open. Let him go in, close the door briefly, then open it again, slowly extending the time it is closed until you can latch it, then again until you can latch, lift, and carry him across the room. It take SOOOOooooooo long, but saves a lot of hassle in the future!