Swollen Kitten Belly?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone's kitten had the swollen belly and not had FIP? He is about 2 1/2 -3 months old. Stray we took in with his sister.
Dewormed once. But his large belly is having me concerned it's FIP. No diarrhea. Healthy appetite and good energy. I assume they will deworm him again or want to do a fecal test.
Not sure if I should ask for the dewormer or wait and take him in on Wednesday when his sister gets her shots.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where did you took him from? From the street? The risk for fip on the street isnt that high. Unless thrown out because of suspected fip. Its also not very contagious by itself.

But some overcrowded shelters are ill renown to be infested with fip and or other diseases.

Try with deworming again, perhaps a broad spectrum dewormer. Simeticone (the same as for babies) may help too for swollen belly full of gases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His mom was a stray/feral. She had her kittens in our yard. Will deworm again. But haven't found anything in feces.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, its a really safe source - fip wise. The odds are very heavily against fip. :)

Unless you had during the last year another kitten whom had fip. As said, fip isnt very contagious but the risk is greater than nil. The virus may live up to a year. - The advice in such cases is clean everything, burn the litter-tray and sand, and to adopt an adult cat if you want to have cats. Adults have decent immune defenses.

As momma is an outside cat, he has surely at least round worms. May have tape worms too if he was ever flea infested.

If you can get raw goat milk, try with this. What kmr do you use? Or had you began with more adultish food?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have been on canned food since I brought them in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! canned is usually better than dry. Still, IF you can get access to raw goats milk, you can try with this. It helps sometimes in unclear situation, has some antiinflammatory properties.

Canned or powdered goats milk is useful supplement, but not the same potential edge.

Hollyp06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have been on canned food since I brought them in.
I noticed my little guy when eating canned food would eat a crazy amount and stayed bloated for hours...it's not until I stopped with wet food that's he's not bloating anymore.
He was also a stray, his momma gave birth in a barn. :)

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed my little guy when eating canned food would eat a crazy amount and stayed bloated for hours...it's not until I stopped with wet food that's he's not bloating anymore.
He was also a stray, his momma gave birth in a barn. :)
Oh wow. What kind did you feed them? Not sure off would matter. They dewormed them again today. But it did seem he wasn't as bloated last night. But was again today

Hollyp06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5955.JPG
It's worth a shot to give him some dry only for a few days. (Can't recall the canned brand right now)
It happened right away, he had his last can and then about 4-5 hours later I fed him just dry food and within an hour his belly was normal size.. and has stayed that way for almost 2 weeks now with no episodes of swelling.
this was his last meal with wet food.. I'll post a photo above (big and swollen and very hard).. and then his belly now on just dry food is the first photo up top :)

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Did you compare ingredients? I wonder off that could have been it

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stopped the friskies as thats what he was eating. I was thinking it might have been the grains/rice in it. Giving him ones without the grains. It seems to have helped. But still not sure if its back to "normal" he still seems a bit thick around his belly. But he is bigger then his peanut sister. They dewormed it for the second time last week. But no worms. His sister had a ton of worms a couple times. So will ask about doing it again Wednesday. Oddly though I have noticed the feces is small and not long. Why would he be constipated when eating all canned food? They dont drink a lot but figured eating all canned would be fine. I did give him some pumpkin last night to see if that helps.