Swollen front leg a likely fracture?

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a new cat in the neighborhood that is coming to get food at my condo.

Today he showed up limping and unable to use his front leg. The leg is very swollen and there seems to be a bump (small) on the long bone before the paw. 

There is no blood. 

What could be his fate if left untreated? I can't take care of all these cats and could not provide him shelter for recovery if he needed to be confined.

Is there a chance he can survive?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i haven't seen him for at least 5 days until he came back today again. So I am not sure how long. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you work with a shelter to borrow a humane trap?  You'd want to make sure it's a no-kill shelter.  He shouldn't be left outside like that.

For the others you feed, are you involved with TNR at all?

Thank you for caring!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It certainly looks like a fracture.  This poor cat looks most unhappy and he certainly requires veterinary care.  I would suggest that his prognosis is poor without treatment.

With regards,

Geoffrey

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Can you work with a shelter to borrow a humane trap?  You'd want to make sure it's a no-kill shelter.  He shouldn't be left outside like that.

For the others you feed, are you involved with TNR at all?

Thank you for caring!
I have TNRed 2 cats already. One, I adopted.The other, she does not want to be adopted and is happy outside. The others I am feeding were TNRed by someone I don't know. 

This one though has not been fixed since his ear is not nipped.

I feel terrible for him. I don't know if the shelter will take him. They are overwhelmed with cats here in south florida. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have TNRed 2 cats already. One, I adopted.The other, she does not want to be adopted and is happy outside. The others I am feeding were TNRed by someone I don't know. 

This one though has not been fixed since his ear is not nipped.

I feel terrible for him. I don't know if the shelter will take him. They are overwhelmed with cats here in south florida. 
It's great that you are doing TNR!  I think you need to see if a shelter or a vet can help first.  If not, I think you should have him put to sleep.  it's better than being outside unable to defend himself and suffering.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's great that you are doing TNR!  I think you need to see if a shelter or a vet can help first.  If not, I think you should have him put to sleep.  it's better than being outside unable to defend himself and suffering.
I don't think I have the heart to put him to sleep. beside,how do I catch one particular cat when I have about 4 that come to get fed? 

If I leave a trap, the others will be the ones to get in. 

Any ideas on how to trap just him?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he hang out with you by himself outside of when he is getting fed?  In the picture you posted it looks like he is hanging out on your deck by himself.  If he sticks around on his own you could try having the trap set up without the food in it yet.  After the other cats have eaten and left you could try placing an already opened can of food in the trap when it is just him around and see if he would just walk into the trap for the extra food.  I have no idea if this would work for sure since this is not something I have ever actually tried to do.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you lure him into a pet carrier with some tasty food, like tuna? Is he a feral, or a stray that you could possibly handle if you had to, wearing a thick pair of gloves?

It looks like he may have a fracture or sprain, and he's likely in a lot of pain. The Humane Society in my area told me that they're mandated to accept any cat that is brought in as a stray--they can only reject pets who are surrendered. Perhaps you could call your local Humane Society and ask they if they will take him. They won't allow him to suffer. They'll either have a vet treat his leg, or, if he tests positive for feline leukemia or AIDS, they will euthanize him. Either of those would be more humane options than him being on his own to suffer. In his current state, he's also helpless to defend himself from other cats and predators.

If the shelter option doesn't work, can you get him to a vet? Some clinics take emergencies. Is it possible that you can allow him to live on your porch or nearby your house? You can make an inexpensive shelter--there are lots of discussion threads on this forum with directions and ideas about this. Many cats can survive well outdoors if they have consistent food and shelter provided by a caregiver.

Good luck, and prayers to this kitty.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Does he hang out with you by himself outside of when he is getting fed?  In the picture you posted it looks like he is hanging out on your deck by himself.  If he sticks around on his own you could try having the trap set up without the food in it yet.  After the other cats have eaten and left you could try placing an already opened can of food in the trap when it is just him around and see if he would just walk into the trap for the extra food.  I have no idea if this would work for sure since this is not something I have ever actually tried to do.
He is the new cat, so he has come here to get fed around 4 times only. So he is very timid and not used to me yet. Today he came back, but all the other cats (including 2 males) are always hanging out here and he does not want to get too close to the other cats. I had to take the food down to under a car he was hiding under. 

I might be able to get the trap close to where he hides tomorrow to see if he will get inside. The only issue is that tomorrow vets close around 2pm and then sundays are closed and I don't have anywhere to keep him until he can see a vet. I don't have a garage and live in very small place with an already rescued cat who can't see another male without making a big scene. 

The other thing is that I live in a gated community and I would have to put the trap where other people park their cars, which could be a problem. 

Can you lure him into a pet carrier with some tasty food, like tuna? Is he a feral, or a stray that you could possibly handle if you had to, wearing a thick pair of gloves?

It looks like he may have a fracture or sprain, and he's likely in a lot of pain. The Humane Society in my area told me that they're mandated to accept any cat that is brought in as a stray--they can only reject pets who are surrendered. Perhaps you could call your local Humane Society and ask they if they will take him. They won't allow him to suffer. They'll either have a vet treat his leg, or, if he tests positive for feline leukemia or AIDS, they will euthanize him. Either of those would be more humane options than him being on his own to suffer. In his current state, he's also helpless to defend himself from other cats and predators.

If the shelter option doesn't work, can you get him to a vet? Some clinics take emergencies. Is it possible that you can allow him to live on your porch or nearby your house? You can make an inexpensive shelter--there are lots of discussion threads on this forum with directions and ideas about this. Many cats can survive well outdoors if they have consistent food and shelter provided by a caregiver.

Good luck, and prayers to this kitty.
Not sure what to call these cats who live in gated communities. They are probably all ferals until they get to know you and then they trust you. This one is not anywhere near from knowing me. 

Now that he is hurt, I don't think he will get any closer to me than a few feet. 

If I am able to trap him, I will take him to a vet for sure. I can't see him like this. 

Thing is how to trap him in my situation with more cats not allowing him near and him coming just when the other cats are all here. :(

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well... he is not very friendly. Probably in pain and scared of everything. 
I wasn't trying to grab him. I think the plate touched him a little and he felt threatened. I can't blame him. I didn't judge the distance well because it was dark and I was bending and could not see him well. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet and anything I say about the cat should be checked with your vet.  However I think the animal was in pain and agree that he was unhappy about you coming too close.  Watch the bite on your hand, cat's teeth are not clean and your wound, however small, can easily become infected.  I suggest that you wear gloves when you approach him in future but I am very likely to be preaching to the converted!    

The latest photo of the cat reveals a deformed area over his lower leg, consistent with a fracture with surrounding swelling, rather than a sprain - an X-Ray will obviously clarify matters.   The hind leg doesn't look too bad but it needs the vet to examine him.  However I doubt that he could walk at all with both left legs injured!

With best wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am a human doctor, not a vet and anything I say about the cat should be checked with your vet.  However I think the animal was in pain and agree that he was unhappy about you coming too close.  Watch the bite on your hand, cat's teeth are not clean and your wound, however small, can easily become infected.  I suggest that you wear gloves when you approach him in future but I am very likely to be preaching to the converted!    

The latest photo of the cat reveals a deformed area over his lower leg, consistent with a fracture with surrounding swelling, rather than a sprain - an X-Ray will obviously clarify matters.   The hind leg doesn't look too bad but it needs the vet to examine him.  However I doubt that he could walk at all with both left legs injured!

With best wishes,

Geoffrey
Thank you Geoffrey for your concern. I washed the scratch plenty of times and disinfected it with alcohol. 

Also thank you for your input on the possible diagnosis. I am just waiting to see when he comes back to set the trap and hope he gets in. 

Have a great weekend!

yummy520

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my experience with my feral, every swelling he has ever gotten that I thought was a break, ended up being an abcess from a bite. If this were a break,the bulk of the swelling would be initially. But with abcess, it would progressively swell. A can of tuna will almost always lure them to the place you want them. Just be sure to be close by to close the lid on them.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From my experience with my feral, every swelling he has ever gotten that I thought was a break, ended up being an abcess from a bite. If this were a break,the bulk of the swelling would be initially. But with abcess, it would progressively swell. A can of tuna will almost always lure them to the place you want them. Just be sure to be close by to close the lid on them.
This is the trouble with attempting to make a diagnosis from a photograph.  My first thought was of an abscess, but of course it is not possible to examine the cat from Australia.  It does not yet appear that any diagnosis can be made even from close to the cat

With regards,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should listen to the advice given by the human doctor on this forum, and try to get the cat to a vet.

Regarding your bite--a lot of  cat bites become infected (50 percent) because it is a puncture wound, and the bacteria from a cat's mouth goes deep into the skin. Your wound looks good because it was bleeding. but if there is any puffiness or redness at all, you'll need an antibiotic. Thanks for caring for so many of these helpless cats!  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The scratch is not a bite, he swatted at you because your hand got too close for his comfort since he is not familiar with you yet. Just wash with soap and water and it will be fine.

I see his cheek has a small wound too, he is def fighting, unfixed males have a very tough life.

This may very well be an abcess, it is so painful while it's swollen big, and will finally burst open, relieving him of all the pressure, and will actually heal on it's own.

Fingers crossed that it is.

If it is a fracture, well to be honest, he should be trapped to be neutered anyway, while under they can take a look, but as much as I hate to say this, if fractured he is better off with it healing itself, and it will, not necessarily straight, but it will heal.

He can't have a splint put on, and he surely can't have it amputated, so there it is, not alot of options.

Shelter will euthanize him.

Target trapping is easiest with a drop trap. I don't suppose you have one or have a rescue near who will loan you one?

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I misnterpreted the term that the cat "snapped" to mean the cat bit the OP, but it does look more like a scratch--my mistake. Scratches are so much easier to clean and treat, so that's good news.

One of the female ferals I took inside had been shot with a gun several months earlier. The vet said her leg had broken and healed on its own, a bit crooked. She walks on her own with a gait, but can't jump very high. Somehow she survived the injury outside on her own, so cats can survive breaks and injuries and they will heal. I didn't realize your newcomer kitty might not be neutered. If he isn't, I hope you can get that done if you're able to get him to a vet. Poor little guy. It's great that you're helping him.