Swollen Face

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi -

My cat had enucleation due to a optic sarcoma. At 5 months she had tests and they said they no metastisation. Today I noticed a big lump on the side of her face. She seems normal othet than that. I have an appt with the vet tomorrow but my question is, if at 5 months the vet said no metastisation is it likely it would occur at 6 months? I am hoping it is an abscess but I am afraid she has been through a lot.

Thanks,

Erin

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible, but I would think it's more likely that is is a secondary infection. Hopefully it is nothing serious and your vet has a quick remedy tomorrow.

Please let us know how it goes. :vibes:

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be possible, although there are other possibilities. Praying for you that it's not anything serious. May I see a picture of her face?

Please keep us updated. :p:vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible, but I would think it's more likely that is is a secondary infection. Hopefully it is nothing serious and your vet has a quick remedy tomorrow.

Please let us know how it goes. :vibes:
Thank you, of course like everyone else who posts on here, I am scared.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, of course like everyone else who posts on here, I am scared.
I know how scary it is. Waiting always seems to be the worst. Once you know what it is you can start making plans of what's next. While waiting your mind is just racing with possibilities....

I am hoping for abcess because that is fairly straightforward and easy. My boy just had one on his chin and he looked like a chipmunk. They can get really big really fast too.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Erin.

You said her eye was removed "due to an optic sarcoma".

One of my cats had a condition that was diagnosed as iris melanosis, a growth of dark pigmentation on the iris (inside the eyeball). Sometimes this will progress to iris melanoma, a cancer. From my discussions with the ophthalmologist, my memory is that, should it have become cancerous, any metastasis would likely involve an organ, not soft tissue.

So, if your cat's "sarcoma" was within the eye, this may give you some reassurance until you can get an answer tomorrow.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Erin.

One of my cats had a condition that was diagnosed as iris melanosis, a growth of dark pigmentation on the iris (inside the eyeball). Sometimes this will progress to iris melanoma, a cancer. From my discussions with the ophthalmologist, my memory is that, should it have become cancerous, any metastasis would likely involve an organ, not soft tissue.

So, if your cat's "sarcoma" was within the eye, this may give you some reassurance until you can get an answer tomorrow.
That made me smile!!! Thank you so much.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1A094D8D-AAE8-43DD-A887-7DFA86F60F43.jpeg
Hi Erin.

I know how scary it is. Waiting always seems to be the worst. Once you know what it is you can start making plans of what's next. While waiting your mind is just racing with possibilities....

I am hoping for abcess because that is fairly straightforward and easy. My boy just had one on his chin and he looked like a chipmunk. They can get really big really fast too.
Thanks it did get big fast like I don’t remember it being there over the weekend. I may not have noticed but I would think I would’ve.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy went from me just being able to feel a bump to this in 48 hours....
received_10155710549571453.jpeg
received_10155710549566453.jpeg

And from those to this just 24 hours later ...
received_10155714825701453.jpeg

It was an abcess and my vet drianed it.

I did take him to emergency vet the night before the first photo. It was maybe half the size and that vet said it wasn't an abcess. He prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatort "just in case". I wasn't happy but figured the antibiotics would help until my vet opened. These photos I sent to my regular vet and took him in after the second photo. So the amount of growth he had was with antibiotics fighting the infection.

It does look a lot like your photo at a glance.... Hopefully this helps.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy went from me just being able to feel a bump to this in 48 hours.... View attachment 259974 View attachment 259975

And from those to this just 24 hours later ... View attachment 259976

It was an abcess and my vet drianed it.

I did take him to emergency vet the night before the first photo. It was maybe half the size and that vet said it wasn't an abcess. He prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatort "just in case". I wasn't happy but figured the antibiotics would help until my vet opened. These photos I sent to my regular vet and took him in after the second photo. So the amount of growth he had was with antibiotics fighting the infection.

It does look a lot like your photo at a glance.... Hopefully this helps.
This really helps!!!! You have gotten me to be able to give out Halloween candy with a smile I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the vet all but confirmed it is a tumor. They are staging it and will know Monday. She has been through a lot this year, so I don’t think we will put her through chemo. I love my girl, but I will have to let her go as this progresses. They said she is not currently in pain. So that is what is important. This is so hard.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. :alright: :grouphug2:

I wish it had just been an abcess. I am glad it isn't hurting her any and hope that what time she has left is as pain free as possible. We went through cancer with one of my angel kitties; we did try chemo but it didn't work out for him. After six months his growth returned and we enjoyed what time he had left.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry it's turned out this way. I had hoped for better news.

Thinking of you two:redheartpump:

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, she is 13 1/2 so not a baby but not old for a cat. I will just hope for slow growth. I knew the odds were against her when she lost her eye to optical sarcoma but when the tests show it had no metastisation, I hoped we were in the clear.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this, I know she'll have a good, carefree and stressless life before the end. I'm happy that she had a lovely time on earth, and until she goes, that lovely time will remain.

Praying for the two of you. :alright::grouphug:

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update in case anyone searches archives. Darci’s tumor continues to grow, but she is tough. She Is eating, running around, and generally happy. Tomorrow will be two months since she was diagnosed. They gave her a shot of prednisone to hopefully control some swelling. Although they don’t think she’s in pain they gave us gabapentin in case she’s having some sensation that’s bothersome. They asked us to come back in six weeks for reevaluation. I asked if they thought should be around in six weeks they said they see every indication she will.

I know the location makes it inoperable. I also know as aggressive as it is it’s unlikely that radiation will do much. I’m not sure she can take anesthesia so it just kerping her happy. My husband says she has nine lives since every time she doesn’t eat something I’m afraid that day is her last. He points out she just might not be hungry that minute.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you and your cat are having to deal with this.

Sounds as though you are doing everything right, treating symptoms and managing her condition while you can, and keeping a close eye on things to make sure she still has some enjoyment for life.

I wish you and your beautiful cat all the best.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update in case anyone searches archives. Darci’s tumor continues to grow, but she is tough. She Is eating, running around, and generally happy. Tomorrow will be two months since she was diagnosed. They gave her a shot of prednisone to hopefully control some swelling. Although they don’t think she’s in pain they gave us gabapentin in case she’s having some sensation that’s bothersome. They asked us to come back in six weeks for reevaluation. I asked if they thought should be around in six weeks they said they see every indication she will.

I know the location makes it inoperable. I also know as aggressive as it is it’s unlikely that radiation will do much. I’m not sure she can take anesthesia so it just kerping her happy. My husband says she has nine lives since every time she doesn’t eat something I’m afraid that day is her last. He points out she just might not be hungry that minute.
I am in a similar situation that you are in... my 12 year old cat has an inoperable metastasized ulcerating mammary tumor that was diagnosed 1.5 months ago. Chemo did not help and she is on Metacam so there is little/no pain.

I am finding it very hard to accept there is nothing left to do and as a desparate cat parent I am looking into anything I can else I can do even though I have been told by an oncolgoist there is not :(.

I wanted to ask you if you ever tried any alternative medicine like CBD oil or traditional chinese veterinary medicine (TCVM)?

Hope you are doing well!