Swollen bump on cats lip

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My otherwise healthy 3 year old cat recently had this pop up today. In the span of about 8 hours I feel like it already grew a bit.

We’re having a major infestation of Asian Lady Beetles (not ladybugs, these ones bite and can emit a nasty liquid when crushed) in my area and everywhere is being swarmed and I’m afraid he might have tried snacking on some even though I’ve been vacuuming them up as I see them but they keep getting in.

We’ve also had a flea problem this year but we started a Selamectin med last month and give Capstar but fleas are still pretty bad.

I’m afraid he’s having some sort of reaction due to one of these things. Should I just keep an eye on it for now?
IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_7192.jpeg
IMG_7193.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like a rodent ulcer, but you should see the vet to confirm. Rodent ulcers, despite the name, aren't rodent related usually allergy driven. Which can be flea, food or plastic dish in origin.

I'd see your vet and change to a metal food dish if you use plastic to cover the bases. Vet will likely check it out and if they agree with rodent ulcer treatment is typically anti-inflammatory and antibiotics.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above, and these insects you have could be another trigger. This is likely a form of Eosinophilic granuloma complex, which includes 'rodent' or indolent ulcers, and they can be due to insects (especially fleas), dietary and environmental allergies, infectious agents, and genetic or hereditary factors.

I agree with checking with the vet - share with them what you shared with us, including the pics. As noted above sometimes these lesions require an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and/or a steroid to get rid of them. The good news is that it appears most of the times these lesions are not painful at all.
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals (vcahospitals.com)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka - the "anti-inflammatory" that's used with all forms of EGC is a steroid......that will both reduce the inflammation and put a lid on the immune response which is causing the reaction, the 'rodent ulcer'. I haven't yet seen a recommendation for antibiotics.....unless a biopsy is done (the only sure-fire diagnostic). I've had one of those here. And, a steroid + anti-inflammatory is a no-no combo (contraindicated).