Swollen breast After Spay IS THIS NORMAL?

ggdoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, I had my one year old
cat spayed couple days ago and noticed swelling near the incision site, it appears the swelling is on two sides near the site, not on the actual site itself and looks more abnormal when shes laid down when stood up it looks less swollen. Is this normal? will it go down on its own.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take that picture and show it to the vet. I don't see any signs of infection, but swelling may mean infection inside. How is she acting? Normal? He may want to take her temperature to see. It may be the incision is just pulling tight and causing the swelling, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ggdoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no discomfort that i see, she seems normal, when i touch the area she she doesnt really feel any pain, i called the vets office they said its normal
but i dont feel confident.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to judge how a cat is doing is by their behaviors. If she is acting normal everything is good. I don't see any signs of infection, it could be normal swelling from the spaying. A cat that is sick or feeling pain will stop eating and start hiding. Monitor her and if there are any changes, call your vet. A couple of days is not very long for a surgery to look better, give it a couple more and reevaluate.
I know how worrisome this can be, after all, she is YOUR little girl!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The swelling is normal and common. There’s a name for the condition, but I don’t recall what it is. It will subside with time.

Our cat has the same condition and it went away as she healed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ggdoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you

Breadnbutta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, how did you make out with your cat? Mine has the same things and I can't find any answers. Your pic looks just like my one year old cat. Was she in heat when you got her spayed?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? If she is older that could be normal. My cats look just like that and they are boys! If she is younger and just developed this, I would take those pictures in and show the vet and see what he says. Swelling IS normal. I would go more by how she is acting. if she is eating/drinking/using the litterbox and is not hiding, you could just observe her for a few days.