Swollen And Red Upper Lip

Heatmh83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! So came home today and noticed that my cat's upper lip under his nose is swollen and red.. I looked at some of the posts on this site, from what I saw their lower lip was swollen though.. I saw that it could be maybe a plastic allergy, but I recently changed his bowl to metal bowls, about a week ago. I also saw it may be due to a flea allergy, but I give him Revolution on a montly basis, he just had that 3 days ago.. I'm going to contact the vet tomorrow when they open but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their cat's upper lip?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not sure. He could have come in contact with something he was sniffing. That's not much help though...sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heatmh83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's ok, I really appreciate the response! I've never seen this before so figured it was worth a shot to see if someone has. I was kind of thinking that myself. I'll be calling the vet in the AM to see what's going on, I just hope it's not hurting him .

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat use to have this but it was more on her bottom lip. It was caused my allergies. She's allergic to certain ink dyes on boxes. Then she rubbed her face on them, he mouth would swell up. So that's why my first thought is allergies or some sort. I could be wrong though...

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really know. My cat is dealing with allergies so I have done research, and some cats have lips swelling. With my cat, I think the allergies started minor but then started looking worse. He was showing other symptoms too like skin bumps and rash, eye discharge, and diarrhea. The vets weren't a huge help except to run expensive tests to prove he his otherwise healthy.

ScottW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a closer pic
Possible this is what is known as a rodent ulcer. It’s a issue of weakened immune system or hyper sensitivity to food or environment. I have one female cat that we rescued as a kitten, most likely her cause of compromised health is from being malnourished as a kitten.

See a vet, expect a steroid shot and dietary recommendations and or flea treatment.