Switching To Raw Food...

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I decided to try out this raw food today by instinct. Can anyone tell me if they had any experience with this? I’m planning on switching to home made all raw food once I get back to America from China in September. Will this be a healthy transitioner until then?
6E34BAFB-3387-45BA-82F6-C35B8BFECDEE.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nature's Variety Instinct raw is good, IMO. I feed the medallions to my cats. Some people feel that NV has too many veggies.

NV now has two lines of Raw Bite. The original, as the one you saw on Chewy. And a newer Raw Signature Bites that is also available in rabbit. The Signature one is 95% meat while the original is 85% meat. The Signature is not widely available yet.

The 1.25 lb bags won't last more than a few days if you are only feeding that. NV used to make 3 lb bags of the original. I still have an unopened 3 lb bag in my freezer.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really want to try those for my 2 cats just to break it up/add to the canned food they are eating. I’m curious to know how your cats like it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety Instinct raw is good, IMO. I feed the medallions to my cats. Some people feel that NV has too many veggies.

NV now has two lines of Raw Bite. The original, as the one you saw on Chewy. And a newer Raw Signature Bites that is also available in rabbit. The Signature one is 95% meat while the original is 85% meat. The Signature is not widely available yet.

The 1.25 lb bags won't last more than a few days if you are only feeding that. NV used to make 3 lb bags of the original. I still have an unopened 3 lb bag in my freezer.
They’re about 4 months and 6 months old. I will look into ordering in bulk for our vacation but I will likely mix it with the instinct kitten food as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Any idea how I can order the signature?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your local independent pet store to order it for you.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat likes it, and it's easy to feed. I rotate it in with RadCat, Primal and some canned, because the bone content is too high for it to be my cat's full diet. It's true that the bag doesn't last very long though; so you're looking at a lot of freezer space.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just noticed the new raw line of Instinct's 85% meat, per the fnae.org calculator the carb percentage is 8% carbs, which isn't too awful, maybe it'll be a better option for those cats who become constipated on other raw with bone products although Rad Cat is an excellent option too, that would be my first choice except one of my cats is allergic to eggs. :(

I emailed Instinct to inquire about the calcium / phos ratio also.

How is Leroy doing? Is he still able to eat Instinct raw despite his IBD?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is Leroy doing? Is he still able to eat Instinct raw despite his IBD?
Leroy is doing fine on the NV raw rabbit :) No flare ups or anything. I'm going to try to stop the pred this week to see how he does:crossfingers:

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Nature’s Variety Instinct when I first started switching the kitties to raw but transferred quickly to primarily Answers Detail, Stella and Chewy’s and some Radcat. The boys are doing well on these foods.