Switching from Lactulose to Miralax

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,
I feel like I should write a book with all of the experiences I have had with a senior cat with Megacolon. I used to give her 1.5-2 ml of lactulose twice a day via syringe. When that became too dramatic, we tried it in her food. Now she won't eat the food and so we were back to the syringe until she decided to throw up and it was pink. After a panicked call to my vet, she suggested I try switching over to miralax and do 1/2 tsp to see if that works instead. It did not occur to me until after it was closing time and I got the miralax, was that 1/2 tsp per day or twice a day. She has not pooped since Tuesday (This post is on Friday) so I wanted to see if any other fellow Megacolon kitty owners have used Miralax and what is the effective dose that you have seen. I saw some old forum posts about various amounts, but none that relate to a megacolon kitty. For reference, she is also on Cisapride twice a day as well, does not really drink water, and only eats wet food now (which I add water to). Photo for everyone who is having a bad day and needs a sweet kitty to look at.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd start with 1/2 teaspoon once a day to start. If no effect after a day or two, increase to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. Be sure to dissolve the powder in some water first and mix it into canned food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awe :loveeyes:/ OK, I cannot tell you with experience towards a Megacolon cat, only with constipated cats. Our Vet said to give it twice a day, and to use anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon EACH TIME. Last time we had this issue, the Vet went straight to 1/4 teaspoon twice per day, and that was for a 9lb cat. Our other cat is 15 pounds, and gets the same dosage when he is constipated. Otherwise, I'm to give less and watch closely. Additionally, I was told to give them Laxatone (gel) once a day until they were able to get out the hard stool that had built up. It worked like a charm. Mine eat wet food only with extra water added in at each meal.

Oh, definitely do dissolve the miralax in a little bit of water before adding to the food. It has no taste or smell and doesn't gel up so it's a great item to use. Hope it works for your little one.