Switching From Dry to Wet

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two remaining cats, Maggie, who is 16, and Miller, who is 12. After what happened with Mozart, I have decided to be proactive and get both of them switched over to wet food after having been on nothing but dry for their entire lives.

I know when switching brands of dry food, switching them slowly is one of the main keys to success. 90/10, 75/25, 60/40 etc. About two weeks, we finally have them pretty much switched over to wet (I still leave some dry out during the day as they have free fed their entire lives and are only now going on more of a scheduled dining plan.) My question is this. When feeding them wet, is it important to continually feed the same flavor of food? (The brand and consistency will remain constant.) Or can I switch up the flavors to give them variety? Like can I feed them chicken and vegetables one day, then feed beef, carrots and rice the next day, then feed them turkey and pasta the third day, then tuna, shrimp and rice the 4th day, etc. Much like humans like a variety of dining choices, is it the same with cats? Or do I feed them same flavor kind every day.

Again, the brand (Purina Pro Plan) and consistency (flaked with gravy, as they will not eat pate kind) will remain the same day to day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You can utilize different varieties, flavors and even brands. What with shortages, plus manufacturers changing recipes of their foods, this approach can be a lifesaver. As long as your cats are ok with your menu, it's all good :)!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi!
You can utilize different varieties, flavors and even brands. What with shortages, plus manufacturers changing recipes of their foods, this approach can be a lifesaver. As long as your cats are ok with your menu, it's all good :)!
Exactly that. I WOULD, as a matter of fact, try to introduce some different brands. Manufacturers are famous for changing their formulas with no notice, so what your cats may love one day they may hate the next because it may be completely different. It's good to have many, many items to choose from. And unless you have a cat with a very sensitive stomach, no need to slowly introduce anything with canned food.