Switching Food From Vet Prescribed Diet

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the past my cat has had urinary issues which caused him multiple rushes to the emergency vet, and a stay at the vets because of a blockage. It’s largely diet related. Because of that he’s been on a vet prescribed food for urinary issues for several years. The problem with that is that the food is loaded with salt and isn’t great overal other than upping his water intake. He’s currently 17 pounds. The other cat is average weight (he also eats less) and doesn’t have urinary problems but he ends up eating the same food, but I’ve noticited he’s been gaining weight as well. I’ve recently decided to try to change their food. My vet has said that we can as long as he’s getting enough water. So I’ve started them on “Petcurean Go! Sensitivity + Shine Limited Ingredient Duck Recipe For Cats” and also do a wet food, the brand is B.F.F. So I do half and half because I can’t afford to do solely wet food. I know cats get most their water intake from food so I’m hoping the implementation of wet food will provide him with enough moisture so that he doesn’t get dehydrated and form crystals. I’m terrified because it almost killed him last time, but I feel like their diet is also super important. Ive been paranoid lately so I’ve been checking their litter box more than usual. Usually my fiancé deals with poop removal, and he says nothing looks different, but I was alarmed to see the poop looks very dark. It is well formed and looks like the same amount as usual. Just very dark. The new food is, however, much darker in color than the last food. I have been feeding a lot more wet food recently as well. It looks like they’ve been drinking enough water, and they are both acting normal. So maybe the poop color is just related to the new kibbles color? I’m just worried. What should I be looking for when a cat is dehydrated? I don’t want him forming crystals again. Will I know before it’s too late?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, good for you for changing away from crummy low quality dry food that was likely not doing your cat any favors.
Second, fret not about the dark poop. Dark (but not black) small poop is what cat poop should look like. A cat with light colored smelly large poops is a cat on a poor quality diet. Both of the foods you picked are pretty good quality.
It’s great that youre giving as much wet as possible. That’s key in helping a cat with crystals, also think about investing in a good cat fountain for his drinking water. That can also help encourage water drinking.
As far as signs if he’s dehydrated, I would just make sure you monitor his litter boxes. Men tend to be a little more oblivious to change so I would suggest you keep up with the waste removal just so you can make sure poops are firm and small, but not dry, hes peeing regularly, and his pee is the right color. And move a litter box to an area you are frequently at home. So you can watch while he goes. To make sure there’s no straining when he poops/pees.
Seeing him strain while peeing is not a good sign and would be an er visit ASAP.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about feeding some cheap fancy feast classics canned food instead of the dry? I think it would be healthier than the dry food and it would make sure that your cat is getting enough water.
You can also add extra water to the canned food.

As a side note-fish isnt that great of a protein for cats. It’s a common allergen and is high in metals and magnesium. I wouldn’t feed it often. Have you tried the Weruva cats in the kitchen line? They have chicken and turkey varieties. It’s the same company that makes B.F.F.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding my cat with a sensitive tummy Dr Else's canned. High protein and water content and cheaper than weruva-still buy that occasionally for my other 2 cats

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While i agree that the prescription diets may not, in our opinion ,have optimum ingredients. I do know they help a lot of cats. I, as you seem to be, would be very worried about pulling him off of that diet, if he had such a hard time previously. I would especially be worried about feeding him a different dry. Can you maybe still feed the prescription food, in small amounts for his dry, but add in some quality wet foods?

You can watch the litter box, hard with more than one cat. make sure he is still peeing several times per day, and the same amount. Encourage more water intake with wet food, multiple bowls of clean filtered water around the house, water fountains as well. However if he forms crystals you most likely will not know until he starts showing symptoms. I would ask the vet more in detail what to watch for, and maybe you can test the ph of his urine or something?

Good luck to you guys, knowing what, and how to feed our guys is one of the hardest things we face. :crossfingers:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cans I ended up feeding Tom and Stew ended up being $1.89 each and they are both 13 lbs. Couldn't afford it so I started making their food. Tommy had three blockages and then surgery, and after set up costs, I have food for both guys under $100 a month. It takes me three full hours to make a batch, but that's just my cat mom job. I use ice cube trays for portioning, so that's another hour that a lot of home made users skip.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have gotten the Dr Else's when it was on sale. It's now 42$ for 24 5.5oz cans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on his litter box from now on. So far it’s been about a month of slowly mixing in the new food with his old food and feeding half wet twice a day. I haven’t noticed any changes in his behaviour (other than being really excited about the wet food) and the litter box seems to be fine, providing dark poops are okay. It’s so hard to tell if the pee is the same amount, but I haven’t seen him straining. I’m now all out of his prescription diet so I have to make the decision to go all in or buy some more and continue mixing it with the new food. I’m almost considering doing half of his prescription diet and half wet, I’m just not sure if the risk of changing foods is really worth it.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would strongly advise keeping him on his prescription food based on personal experience and thousands of dollars in ER bills.

Have you tried Royal Canin S/O Moderate Calorie? They have both wet and dry.