Switching dry

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found ToTW for Nuts at Rural King(they finally started carrying it) while I was there buying ToTW for Dexter(the dog.)

How slow do I need to switch him? He's currently eating Solid Gold Indigo Moon(their grain free variety.) With the dog(totally different animal, I know) I did it over 3-4 weeks but he was also switching from Purina One to Taste so it was a major transition as far as quality and grain was concerned. I kind of just mixed the Natural Balance with Solid Gold in the food container when I switched them(Attitude was still alive, I can't remember if Maude was or not) since they were picking out the Natural Balance and only eating the new Solid Gold and no one suffered any problems.

Nuts still has plenty of Solid Gold so I can take it slow, or I can do it at a faster pace and let the ferals(the 3 that are left) have the rest of Nuts' Solid Gold. They'll eat anything so the food won't go to waste either way. Wish I could say the same for the dog food, I still have half a bag of Purina One dog food that I have no use for.

Taryn

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I generally switch over 2-3 weeks, but I have a picky eater and some sensitive stomachs, so I'm probably overly cautious.

Does the TOTW have switching instructions? I've noticed quite a few of the quality brands do. If not, they might have a suggestion on their website.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month?

I do two days 25%, two days 50%, two days 75%, then full, and I thought that was taking things very slow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dog was 3-4 weeks only because as I said I was switching from a very low quality grain heavy food, to a high quality grain-free food. I also wanted to get rid of as much of the Purina One as I could, obviouslky didn't help that much as I still have about half a bag left and no one to feed it to. I might just go toss some in the woods away from houses and let the raccoons and possums have a go at it. At the very least I know the raccoons will eat it since they'll eat anything.

Nuts appears to have an iron stomach, I switched food cold turkey a few times when he was a baby and him and Attitude still lived outside. That still happens to the outside cats and as I said they'll eat anything. They don't seem too keen on the SG but I'm sure it's just because it isn't crap loaded like the generic cat chow(same quality as the real deal, just cheaper) I feed them. I also used Cat Chow(the real Purina kind) when I couldn't get Attitude to eat because it is irresistable. As I said as far as I know he has never even vomitted or had diarrhea ever and he'll be 2 in June(he's also a very healthy FeLV+ cat, never been sick a day in his life.)

Like I said I still have plenty of SG so I might wait a few weeks before starting the switch, unless Dexter or Nuts decide it's time to open the bag. They can both open cabinet doors easily so putting it in a cabinet won't do much if they really want it.

My main thing is spliting it. The dog eats 1 1/2 cups of food a day so splitting it up was easy. I feed Nuts 1/3 cup of food a day(he also get a 3.5 oz can of whatever wet food I decide to feed him) which complicates spliting up his meals into portions more difficult. I might just do 2/3 cup SG and put 1/3 cup ToTW mix it up in a plastic bag and feeding it to him over 3 day 1/3 cup at a time. Or I mght just do what I did with the SG a bowl of the old and a bowl of the new and see which one gets eaten faster. Of course last time it was easier since I already had at least 2 food bowls for at least 2 cats(still can't remember if Maude was alive or not, but the more I think about it the more I think she had passed by then due to the location of the bowls.)

ToTW wbsite says to change over the course of 8-12 days. 1/4 for 2-3 days, if no issues go to half for 2 or 3 days, then 3/4 for 2 to 3 day and then 100% new food.

Taryn

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General rule of thumb is 25% new/75% old for 2 days. No problems go to 50/50 for 2 days. Still no problems go to 75%new/25% old for 2 days. If still no problems you are good to go. If you still have a lot of old food left and don't want to waste it, continue adding smaller amounts daily until the old food is gone.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

I might just do 2/3 cup SG and put 1/3 cup ToTW mix it up in a plastic bag and feeding it to him over 3 day 1/3 cup at a time.
This is what I do...I mix up a few days worth in a container and feed that mix until it's gone, then up the percentages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mixed up 6 days worth of food 2/3 cup ToTW and 1 1/3 cups SG. It's day 2 and so far he seems to be doing ok. He's still eating and doesn't seem to be feeling bad. He still lets the dog chase him and and still messes with the dog to make him chase him. He also occasionally decides the dog needs a slap on the nose, I have no idea why, he'll just walk over to the dog and smack him and judging by Dexter's reaction which is a look like 'what did I do' he has no clue either. So everything is normal here.

So far, so good. I'll up it when he runs out in 4 more days.

Like I said any SG left over I'll feed to the outside cats. I feel the need to have some left over in case for some reason Nuts doesn't tolerate the switch and I have to go back to SG. I doubt that will happen, but you never know.

Taryn

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taryn, I play it by ear... I usually do it over the course of 10 days... If there is problems, I take a step back and stay there a little longer. If there are no problems, I move ahead in a few days. I start the change by adding 1/8 cup of the new food at first, as the babies here are finicky or have tummy problems.
From there either I keep the pace or increase by 1/4 cup. It depends on them. I do not stay less than 3 days in each "stage" though.