Switching Churches

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone here who has changed denominations, whether it be a small change or a bigger one? I grew up in the Presbyterian Church, never have belonged anywhere else (I'm 24 now). I recently moved and have been looking for a new church. I live in a small suburb of a large city. There are many options in the city, but I'd like to go to a church that is close by. There's a Methodist church that is easy to get to and a nice size - I checked it out online to get more information, though there wasn't much available. I'd like to stay with the Presbyterian Church, but the only one in town is very small and in a somewhat remote location.

I've heard that Methodist, Lutheran, and Presbyterian churches are pretty similar in their beliefs. I'm interested in a moderate Protestant church - I wouldn't mind a change (I consider myself to be liberal), but I don't want to get into something that I'm really unfamiliar with. I was just wondering if anyone has switched over, esp. to a Methodist church - how easy was the transition? I'm thinking about checking out the church tomorrow. I wish I had someone up here to go with. I'll feel awkward going by myself. Also, I probably won't stay in this area after college, and am not sure if it would be best to keep my membership at my old church, if I do find a new church that I like. A lot to think about...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend going in and talking with the pastor, tell him your situation, and ask him about the differences between Presyterian and Methodist.

I know that even within a denomination there can be vast differences between sections and even churches themselves. With the Lutherans, Missouri Synod is more middle of the road, Wisconsin Synod if VERY conservative, and Evangelical is VERY liberal. When I was in college, I was Missouri and my friend was Wisconsin. I wasn't allowed to take communion in their church because I was "a different religion". No kidding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that even within a denomination there can be vast differences between sections and even churches themselves. With the Lutherans, Missouri Synod is more middle of the road, Wisconsin Synod if VERY conservative, and Evangelical is VERY liberal.

That's interesting. Do you know what Zion Lutheran is? I was just curious since I have one of those really close to me. We had a Zion Baptist church back home that is mostly African American. I'm not sure if it would be the same with Zion Lutheran or not. I've never heard of divisions w/in the Presbyterian Church, though our church is First Presbyterian, and I've seen a Third Presbyterian before. Maybe the First had kids
, I don't know.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up catholic, then First Assemblys, and now Non-Denominational. But I don't think I've ever claimed a denomination. I just say I believe the Bible. I'd say talk to people in your area. If you are at a college and there is a Bible Study club there like Campus Crusades or something, go there and talk to a few people. That's how a good friend of mine found her new church when she moved for college. I understand about not wanting to just go to a church. I don't like doing that either. We found our church because a good friend of my Aunt's lives here also. We tried some others and didn't fit till we found this church, which I love. They are my family since we don't have much family nearby. Good luck!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in the Wesleyan church, but now attend the Baptist. My parents go to the Church of God now, one sister is Presbyterian and the other goes to the Missiopnary church.
My husbands family is Lutheran and we have extended family and friends that are Methodist, Assembly of God and Catholic, plus a few that i`m probably not mentioning cause I can`t think of them at the moment....and we all get along just fine. We have more in common than we do differences. We all believe the basics of Christianity, and the unimportant differences we don`t argue about.
Linda

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to the UMC http://www.unitedmethodist.org/mquest4.html One of my favorite things about UMC is that I am not required to "judge" others; rather, I am supposed to strive to be a living form of God's love for His children and His creation. I hope that you get over feeling awkward and I wish that I could go with you. Who knows but that you could be a blessing to this church; they may have someone in their congregation for whom your presence will be a comfort or an inspiration - think of all the exciting possiblities!! Please let us know how tomorrow goes for you!
Susan

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maiseycat

I know that even within a denomination there can be vast differences between sections and even churches themselves. With the Lutherans, Missouri Synod is more middle of the road, Wisconsin Synod if VERY conservative, and Evangelical is VERY liberal.

That's interesting. Do you know what Zion Lutheran is? I was just curious since I have one of those really close to me. We had a Zion Baptist church back home that is mostly African American. I'm not sure if it would be the same with Zion Lutheran or not. I've never heard of divisions w/in the Presbyterian Church, though our church is First Presbyterian, and I've seen a Third Presbyterian before. Maybe the First had kids
, I don't know.
All the Lutheran churches seem to have the same names.
Next time you go past it, see if they have anything about which synod it is, or if nothing else you could look it up in the phone book and see if it mentions it there, or just call and ask. I can't really tell by the name alone. I *think* the Zions I've seen have been Evangelical.

kitty's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up in the Catholic Church and now go to a Lutheran Church....thanks to some good friends of mine. I'm now in the handbell choir and I'm pretty active in the bible studies they offer. I'm learning a lot and thoroughly enjoying these new experiences. If you're not sure, I would probably recommend talking to the pastor of the church you're thinking about going to for advice. I'd probably pray about it, too.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say try out the church on a Sunday morning, but also speak to the pastor. And definitely pray about it. Some churches do have major variations.

For example, when I lived in Indiana, we went to a Baptist chuch a few times. (I was raised Baptist, and am a member of a Baptist church currently.) It seemed fine on Sunday mornings, very friendly, etc. Then I looked at enrolling ds in their kindergarden program. They had a rule that Dad's picking up children had to be clean shaven-no beard. And if Mom was going to get out of the car, she had to be wearing a dress.
We never went back to that church!

Or my parents attended a church once when on vacation, where they preached that Jesus is not the savior, just a man from history.

It is important to be at a good church that will help you grow in your faith. The idea of checking with the Campus Crusade group at the college is a good one. I'll bet they have recommendations for local churches that have active college age groups. And they may even have a hand-out about the differences between denominations. I think the differences between protestant denominations are pretty small, but the difference from one church to the next can be HUGE!

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up RLDS (now known as Community of Christ, and an offshoot of the Mormon Church). When I was twenty I took instruction in the Roman Catholic Church and attended there for a few years. When I was twenty-eight I joined the Lutheran (ELCA) Church and have belonged ever since. I also work for them at the regional level.

Most mainline Protestant denominations are fairly similar as far as doctrines, but Lutheran and Episcopal churches have a more liturgical, ritualized form of worship -- whereas Presbyterians and Methodists would be less so.

Also, with regard to your "Zion" question -- my synod has about a half-dozen out of 210 congregations named Zion! lol

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was raised Baptist (SBC), went American Baptist, then Wesleyan- although was never baptized or officially joined either. I joined the Society of Friends (Quaker church) at 22. I am now in the process of starting RCIA and becoming Catholic, but that has been a really long process and something I have been considering since I was 18 (I'm 26 now). Most of my family is either SBC or United Methodist. One thing I like about the UMC is how friendly it is and how you can find one in pretty much every town, no matter how small. The official church website has a wealth of information. I highly suggest talking to the pastor. This is how I became aquainted with the Quaker church- I just called and talked to the pastor for a good half hour. I met with her regularly as well. I am pretty obsessive now with understanding the theology of different denominations and a good place to start with that is the church's official website. It might take a little while to find a church home, but you certainly don't have to commit if you aren't sure.

If you like the UMC you might also look into the ELCA Lutheran Church, the United Church of Christ, or the Christian Church. They all tend to be pretty welcoming!