switched to scheduled feeding and cats are refusing to eat

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have five cats. Two kittens and three seniors. One of the seniors is overweight and the vet recommended doing scheduled feedings to help her lose weight. I just did it cold turkey; took their food away yesterday afternoon after they ate and didn't feed them again until the scheduled time. They were yelling at me all day to give them food, but when I finally gave it to them.. them wouldn't eat! The kittens were fine and gobbled up every last crumb, but the older cats refused. I left the food out for a while and they only ate a very small amount. Tried feeding them again this morning and the older cats still refused.

Was doing this cold turkey the wrong way to go about it? Will they eat eventually or should I go back to free feeding for the time being? Any advice would be appreciated!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have five cats. Two kittens and three seniors. One of the seniors is overweight and the vet recommended doing scheduled feedings to help her lose weight. I just did it cold turkey; took their food away yesterday afternoon after they ate and didn't feed them again until the scheduled time. They were yelling at me all day to give them food, but when I finally gave it to them.. them wouldn't eat! The kittens were fine and gobbled up every last crumb, but the older cats refused. I left the food out for a while and they only ate a very small amount. Tried feeding them again this morning and the older cats still refused.

Was doing this cold turkey the wrong way to go about it? Will they eat eventually or should I go back to free feeding for the time being? Any advice would be appreciated!
I think they are in rebellion 😉. I think they will eat when they get hungry as long as you don’t let them go more than a day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Not feeding them is not the right way to go about it, please don't utilize that method especially if the one adult is particularly overweight. You will cause more problems that way.

Additionally you definitely don't want to restrict the kittens, they need as much food as they can eat at one time. Their tummies are too small and can't hold a lot of food, but they need a lot to support the incredible amount of growth that is going on, so frequent small canned meals are a must throughout the day with some kibble available for snacking and overnight. Maybe you can create something like this for the kittens where the food for them is inside the big tub and the cat flap keeps out the seniors.

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Not feeding them is not the right way to go about it, please don't utilize that method especially if the one adult is particularly overweight. You will cause more problems that way.

Additionally you definitely don't want to restrict the kittens, they need as much food as they can eat at one time. Their tummies are too small and can't hold a lot of food, but they need a lot to support the incredible amount of growth that is going on, so frequent small canned meals are a must throughout the day with some kibble available for snacking and overnight. Maybe you can create something like this for the kittens where the food for them is inside the big tub and the cat flap keeps out the seniors.

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles
Yeah I wasn't sure about restricting the kittens, but the vet said it was okay so I just went with it. I don't know how to give them constant access to food without the other cats getting to it though. I considered getting a baby gate to block off the part of the house where the kittens usually hang out, but I think the big cats would just over it lol. But thank you for the advice, I'm going to do a bunch of smaller meals for now and will gradually decrease the number of meals. Also, any tips for how to get the kittens to like wet food? One of them loves it but the other won't touch it. I'd really prefer if they were both getting wet food though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
don't know how to give them constant access to food without the other cats getting to it though.
Try two or three baby gates stacked one on top of the other in the doorway, or if you can, utilize the other doorway block used in this article linked below about cat introductions with a safe kitten sized hole cut out, or maybe that big tub with a cat flap built in, in the YouTube video I posted above :)

Your kittens might be older but there's some information in the weaning article about getting them acquainted with, and liking, canned food.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own – TheCatSite Articles

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my yes, did not mean to imply in any way not to feed them…just sometimes if a cat snubs you on the first go, they are testing your weaknesses to see if they can get something better out of the deal (like my tuna sandwich). Have the food out and stay strong: sometimes an initial driveby snub can turn into a hearty meal.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's probably just a mini revolt. I moved my morning shower earlier relative to the morning activities and my girl was upset for three days. Gradual is always best but I don't know how you gradually go to schedule

I wish you the best of luck. I'm in month 11 of trying to get my girl's eating back to normal after her brother's death. We're actually working on going from "scheduled" meals to free feeding. Hang in there...it can be exhausting.