Switched Litter..Would like some advice.

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Mia has been home for 24+ hours now. She's eating and drinking water just fine. The problem is... she has not gone to the litter box at all since we brought her home. Her behavior is normal., just a happy cat. Her reports say nothing about her having problems going to the bathroom so I'm starting to think maybe she doesn't like the cat litter? At the APL she used a natural cat litter, I believe, pine litter, which looks like rolled tan sticks. Something like pellets. I'm thinking of buying the same litter for her that the APL used.. Should I ? I'm not sure what to do here...

Editing here to add:

also, I'd like to add that the litter box is in our bathroom. We did not place her in a quiet area in our apartment with her belongings such as food/water and the litter box... should we do so since she's still getting used to her new surroundings? Her food/water is in the kitchen and she goes in their and eats.. The only "hiding" she has been been doing last for a few hours..if that.. more so like an hour. She hide's under our bed and she has not pee'd or poo'd around the house.. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank You! 

Actually she has pee'd on my husband's jeans this morning. 

Also, Mia is 6 years old. I'm going to go out today and pick up her original litter that they had her on in the APL just to be on the safe side.. She will be getting a check up later on this week so I can ask about it then. I think it's just because everything is so new to her and she was in the APL for 1 month so.... yeah.. lol

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Changing her back to her original litter is a good idea to try.  I tried switching new kitties over too soon to a litter I  wanted them to use, instead of the one they were used to, with disastrous results (accidents everywhere).  I hope that's all it takes!

Good thing you can have a sense of humor about her peeing on hubby's jeans....  LOL

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol, yes. I take it as, hey if youre not using the litter box that means you are peeing somewhere in the house. I can easily throw the jeans in the was and even if she pee'd on the floor or carpet I can clean it up...It's life you know? It's pretty weird cause I've never had this problem before with cats not liking/wanting to use this kind of litter.. It's scoop away litter... I really hope that she will use the litter box when I switch. 

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a little different situation.  Dandelion was only 8 wks. when we brought her home about 6 pm and she still hadn't "gone" at her afternoon vet visit the next day. She would look at the box and I could tell that she thought it wasn't right.  I didn't know what she'd been used to but figured it had been the cheapest thing (that was a safe bet).  I had seen foil trays on our previous visit. We got a smaller box and had some regular litter instead of the World's Best, then confined her at nightwith the little box.  She finally decided it was okay.  It was a long time before she'd use the larger box and The World's best Litter even when it was mixed. with Arm and Hammer Litter.

Yes, I'd try to keep things as much the same because some of them really care

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to Petco and bought pine pellet cat litter and I'm glad the price is reasonable as well!  It's the closets they had to the "brand" she was using, which was Premium Choice. Petco had none.. We put her in the bathroom for 30 minutes with all of her belongings and my husband got up and then woke me up and said she had gone to the litter box... One thing I like about this pine pellet litter is that I know when she goes. (just like any other cat litter) The pellets expand when wet and then turn into, what looks like sand 
 I do have to say that it's odorless when in the box unused but once you have to start cleaning the pellets that are wet. it stinks! We are watching her and monitoring her when she goes and when she doesn't. It still seems like she is still trying to get used to the litter box, so hopefully she will catch on and start using it "more frequently" and on her own..

We took her to the vet for her free check up and the Dr. said that she is fine. 
 So I am very happy about that!!