Swimming in water bowl & knocking it over

WarszawaScream

Momma Raptor
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet little 5 month old menace of a kitten, Elliott, has decided that the water dish is his personal swimming pool and is not content until he has either splashed all the water out of it or tipped the bowl completely over. I switched from an auto-waterer to a fountain thinking that might help, but he’s quickly learned to knock the dang fountain over. Every day. Sometimes 2-3 times a day.

I ordered a no-tip bowl to save that part of the problem, and I put a mat under the bowl to try to contain the water mess, but that’s not going to help the behavior - anybody have any advice for this? Should I just get a basin and put water in it for him to splash around in?

I love this little Muppet of a cat but oh my LORDT, Ellie why 😭😂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think I would try a basin with water - away from his water dish(es) - and see what happens. Maybe even in a bathtub? If he continues to play at the water dish(es), pick him up and 'remind' him where his water basin is. There is a good possibility that he will outgrow this anyway!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine used to LOVE tipping over her water. Even after we went to a self waterer she learned how to pop the water jug out. I build a loop that went around the water jug and attached to a heavy piece of furniture so that the jug couldn’t be detached and then used a cafeteria tray to collect any water she splashed out of the bowl.

Is it possible though to set up some kind of water play area in a bathtub or shower floor. It’s harmless fun if he is t soaking everything.

Last edited: