Swelling After Spay Operation

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I’m looking for some input on our current situation, Bella had her spay operation 5 days ago, I have done some research and discovered that some swelling around the insicion site can be normal, however it seems to be getting bigger. We have an appointment on Sunday at the vet, I’m wondering if this is something urgent that we should have seen to tomorrow or can it wait for 2 days?
Thanks in Advance.
Lesley.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the looks of it. Some swelling is normal but that's starting to get too swollen. It actually kind of looks like the inside stitches might have broken. If she's eating, drinking, using the litterbox, is active, doesn't have a fever, is acting normal, etc., you might be able to wait until Sunday. But I think I'd try to get in tomorrow if possible. Or even tonight. . .do they have evening hours?

Will they let you send a picture to see what the vet thinks?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That doesnt look right to me. Are you able to send the photos to your vet and ask his advice. Its best to be on the safe side

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I think she seems fine. Since we’ve had both cats have their spay/neuter in the same week, I am trying to keep on top of everything to make sure they are both doing well. But she is eating and doesn’t appear to be in any pain, even around the area.
I will get the vets number and send a picture first thing in the morning and see what he says.
Thanks again!
Lesley

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something odd that I have noticed is that the swelling changes shape depending on the way she is lying. I can definitely feel something fairly large under the skin, that doesn’t bother her at all when I touch it. But I will definitely get it checked out.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than the swelling its clean, looks to be healing well and does not look sore. Hopefully its just an odd shaped swelling. Please keep us updated.

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am hoping for the best too! We will contact the vet first thing in the morning it’s midnight here now so we could take her in at 9am when it opens if needed. We have been very careful and cautious with her recovery so I hope it’s nothing serious, or it can be handled without too much stress on Bella!

Bella & Sunday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We went to the vet this morning, he doesn’t seem to be worried about the swelling, he says it is probably due to the 3 layers of the incision healing underneath. He said there is no fluid under the skin which is a good sign. Bella is eating and going to the toilet as normal. So we will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and return on Monday to have her stitches removed. Hopefully nothing to worry about. Looking forward to getting both cats back to normal, they are both very cranky with their cones on and don’t have any patience for each other at the moment. We are back to the growling and hissing stage.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. That's what it usually is, but the shape of it looked different and I was afraid something herniated. Glad to hear the healing is going well!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I agree, it looks totally normal. Not infected or anything. There usually is a large lump under the incision that forms at it heals, the scar tissue, under the stitches.