Sweety's Issues

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted not too long ago about my cat, Sweety, who wasn't eating. She finally started eating on her own. However, it wasn't enough and she was still losing weight, so I've been syringe feeding her to make up for what she's not getting. When at the vet for the first issue, the vet did say she had some bad teeth, so I made her an appointment for a dental cleaning. Blood work was done Tuesday and today was the day of her cleaning. The vet pulled five or six teeth and said there was a lot of inflammation and she might have a bone infection. He also said her right tonsil is extremely swollen, which could be due to the infection or might even be a tumor.

Her blood work was all normal except for elevated globulin levels and white blood cell count. He did explain to me what that meant. She's not showing any interest in eating when I give her food. Before her cleaning, she would eat treats and cat food that isn't grain free (although she did eat a little bit of the Blue Wilderness duck I got her). One of my concerns (that I didn't think to ask the vet earlier) is, when should I start worrying about her not eating? I figure she isn't interested right now because she just had teeth pulled, but should she start eating tomorrow? I can't give her treats or dry food anymore, so I really hope she gets interested in the wet food I bought her. I do plan to call the vet and ask him what he recommends on whether or not I should start syringe feeding her again.

I've lurked these forums from time to time and know that a lot of you have a great deal of knowledge about cats, so I'm hoping maybe someone can help, maybe even offer suggestions on what I should specifically ask the vet. I also have to start giving her pain pills tomorrow and it says to give to them with food. This is also my first time dealing with a kitty after a dental cleaning/tooth extraction, so I'm a newbie to this sort of thing and don't know what to expect. I also have a problem with not thinking of questions to ask until after the vet has closed. Any help/replies are greatly appreciated.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You're definitely in the right place to get advice, we have a lot of knowledgeable cat owners here. While I've never personally cared for a cat who needed a dental extraction, surely some others have so they'll be able to give you more specific advice.

If a cat goes too long without food, they can develop hepatic lipidosis, so if Sweety isn't eating tomorrow, I'd recommend calling the vet to see if you can get the okay for syringe feeding. Dental issues are one of the most common reasons cats will stop eating, so I think that after the post-extraction soreness dies down, she'll have an easier time eating. Another trick you can try with wet food is heating it in the microwave (until it's warm-not hot), which makes it smellier, which cats appreciate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yeah, I've heard about the hepatic lipidosis. Aren't overweight cats at a higher risk for it? I'm not sure if Sweety is a normal weight or slightly under weight. She weighed around nine pounds in March and lost down to about seven and a half, then this whole ordeal caused her to lose down to six pounds, six and a half ounces. She did gain an ounce and a half while I was syringe feeding her. It still concerns me about her liver, though. I've been adding a high calorie gel to the gruel I make for her. It's not Nutrical, but something I got from Petco. Would it help to add a vitamin, or is the gel in the food enough? And I shall try warming her food in a little bit and see if it helps. Thank you for the suggestion!

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so, she's still not eating wet food but she was just eating some dry food. Should I let her do that since her procedure? I don't want her to hurt her mouth but at the same time, I don't want to discourage her from eating, either. This is such a strange situation.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few years ago I had a cat that had a few teeth out and would not eat after ( or before because of the bad teeth). I was told by the vet that she should be eating the day after the extraction. I bought Liquivite. It is like a thin soup for cats. I could only order it on line or get it from the vets but perhaps you could buy something similar over the counter.
Let us know how she is doing.

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I had a cat that had a few teeth out and would not eat after ( or before because of the bad teeth). I was told by the vet that she should be eating the day after the extraction. I bought Liquivite. It is like a thin soup for cats. I could only order it on line or get it from the vets but perhaps you could buy something similar over the counter.
Let us know how she is doing.
Ah, okay. Thank you for your reply and recommendation! I'll check into that on Amazon and at the local Petco and Petsense. I was looking for a gravy only type food at Petco but their store is so large and overwhelming, I didn't have a clue as to where to begin. She's still doing really well, very loving and fairly active. She's resting on my lap as I type. I hate to have to disturb her, but it's medicine time. Hoping she'll eat a few bites before it's time for her pain pill. She purrs up a storm like she did before.

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she's eating more today. Still won't eat wet food but at least she's eating! She has eaten some Muse chicken kibble and Blue Wilderness duck kibble. She drank some Catsip after that. I went to Petco to see if I could find Liquivite (they didn't have any that I could find) and even asked if they had any liquid or gravy type cat foods. Since they didn't have those, I asked if they had any kibble that was really small. The only thing they had was kitten kibble. I decided to give it a try (it's Science Diet, but at least it's SOMETHING). She ate quite a bit of it. I also bought her some Applaws puree tubes and she LOVES them! She ate a whole one in one sitting and I believe she would have eaten more if I had given it to her. I'm going to save them for when I need to give her a pain pill so I know she'll have something on her stomach. Making progress! Again, thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'll check online for the Liquivite.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try boiling chicken thighs and making a broth. Maybe she will lap that and eat some of the pieces of meat but warm it a little. Also she might eat tuna. Applaws is good. They are such a worry.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just checked liquivite, it's made in London and they sell to EU countries so you might not be able to get it where you live. As long as she is eating something and drinking thats good. Maybe her gums are still a little tender, are you able to see if they are red or swollen?

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try boiling chicken thighs and making a broth. Maybe she will lap that and eat some of the pieces of meat but warm it a little. Also she might eat tuna. Applaws is good. They are such a worry.
I apologize for not replying sooner. I saw your message earlier when I was getting ready to run errands. I bought some chicken thighs like you suggested and also some chicken broth. I also have chicken stock and bouillon cubes that I can use to cook the chicken. So far she is eating well. She's eating different types of kibble and eats more than what she was eating, and also more often. She has been letting me know when she's hungry. I also gave her two types of wet food. She ate a little bit of each. Totally scarfed down the Applaws Puree tube I gave her and wanted more, but there are only two left and I need those to give her before giving her the pain pills I was given for her. Tried to find more at Petco but they were completely out. I can't find them online at Petsense, Petsmart, Petco, or Chewy.

I've just checked liquivite, it's made in London and they sell to EU countries so you might not be able to get it where you live. As long as she is eating something and drinking thats good. Maybe her gums are still a little tender, are you able to see if they are red or swollen?
I'm afraid to stress her out by opening her mouth more than needed, although it didn't look as red when I've given her pills. Kind of hard to tell. I'll try to get a better look when I give her another antibiotic pill shortly. I feel like she's eating enough now, though. Still gonna try the chicken and broth, however. Wouldn't hurt for extra nutrition! I've noticed that she has been cleaning herself a lot today and she demands attention quite often. She did gain six ounces so she seems to be getting enough, at least from when I was syringe feeding her. I tell her how proud I am of her for eating and that I'm so glad she's feeling better. She's certainly enjoying all of the attention! Thanks again for your replies and suggestions. I've gotten several types of wet food, different brands, and am seeing what all she'll eat.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear she is eating more. It sounds as if she is on the mend and feeling better. Make sure the stock cube has no or very little salt. My cat liked it slightly warm and I used to add it to her food for extra flavour but it sounds as if Sweety is doing fine as she is. I'm so glad.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I saw some gravy only type food at Walmart. The only wet food Gypsy will eat is Fancy Feast gravy lovers. She turns her nose up at no/low sodium broth. I've read where some cats like baby food,the type with no garlic or onion or high salt. Gypsy didn't care for it. Good luck & keep us updated.

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is eating more. It sounds as if she is on the mend and feeling better. Make sure the stock cube has no or very little salt. My cat liked it slightly warm and I used to add it to her food for extra flavour but it sounds as if Sweety is doing fine as she is. I'm so glad.
She's still eating quite often and is eating more. I gave her some Tiki Cat tuna and she ate most of what I had given her. I'll probably go back and get more if she doesn't eat the other wet foods I have here (I feel like a pet store, haha!) The chicken stock is rather salty, so I won't use it. Not sure how much the cubes have, but she's eating enough now that I think she'll be fine.

I think I saw some gravy only type food at Walmart. The only wet food Gypsy will eat is Fancy Feast gravy lovers. She turns her nose up at no/low sodium broth. I've read where some cats like baby food,the type with no garlic or onion or high salt. Gypsy didn't care for it. Good luck & keep us updated.
I had forgotten about baby food. Thank you for bringing that up! And also for the good luck wish. As for the gravy lovers, Sweety can't eat that kind or any other kind of Fancy Feast that has the chunks in it. There's something in them that makes her sick. Pates are fine, though.

I swear, these cats will have me gray headed before I'm fifty. I really appreciate everyone's advice and support. Very happy that I found this place. Just wish I had been more active in the past, but I'm working on changing that!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your taking great care of Sweety. I hope she is appreciating you. This is a really informative site, I've learned so much since I joined.
Keep us updated on Sweety's progress

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
She's still eating quite often and is eating more. I gave her some Tiki Cat tuna and she ate most of what I had given her. I'll probably go back and get more if she doesn't eat the other wet foods I have here (I feel like a pet store, haha!) The chicken stock is rather salty, so I won't use it. Not sure how much the cubes have, but she's eating enough now that I think she'll be fine.

I had forgotten about baby food. Thank you for bringing that up! And also for the good luck wish. As for the gravy lovers, Sweety can't eat that kind or any other kind of Fancy Feast that has the chunks in it. There's something in them that makes her sick. Pates are fine, though.

I swear, these cats will have me gray headed before I'm fifty. I really appreciate everyone's advice and support. Very happy that I found this place. Just wish I had been more active in the past, but I'm working on changing that!
We went through quite a lot of wet food when we were trying to find one she wouldn't turn her nose up at. Sheba pate was one she ate for awhile (I bought a case, then she decided she didn't like it) Glad Sweety is eating. Post some pictures of your fur babys for us and take care.:wave3:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh if you need to transition to full wet many people smash up kibble so it's a dust and sprinkle on soft food.

So happy she's eating.

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your taking great care of Sweety. I hope she is appreciating you. This is a really informative site, I've learned so much since I joined.
Keep us updated on Sweety's progress
Thank you! She certainly is being thankful and is giving me a lot of loving, and also expecting a lot of petting and scritches. She just had a tube treat and ate some duck kibble. Earlier, she let me know she was hungry so I offered her kitten kibble. She sniffed it and then gave me the dirtiest look! So I offered her some Temptations and she gobbled them up. Apparently she expects me to read her mind.

We went through quite a lot of wet food when we were trying to find one she wouldn't turn her nose up at. Sheba pate was one she ate for awhile (I bought a case, then she decided she didn't like it) Glad Sweety is eating. Post some pictures of your fur babys for us and take care.:wave3:
Sweety did love the Sheba pate before this all started. I haven't tried offering her anymore, but I have a single portion that I can give her to see if she'll eat it. I'll post Sweety's picture at the end of this post. I have ten cats so that might be a bit much for this thread, haha. And thanks. You take care, too!

Oh if you need to transition to full wet many people smash up kibble so it's a dust and sprinkle on soft food.

So happy she's eating.
Oh, I hadn't thought of doing that. That's a good idea! She seems to do well with dry food. I was concerned about her eating it because she was supposed to eat only wet food the two days after the procedure. I guess it's okay if she's eating it and it isn't bothering her. She's still eating food like it's going out of style. Really making up for those days she wasn't eating.

It's not a very recent picture, but here's Sweety!

106_1463.JPG

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Sweety is eating really well now. She still isn't interested in wet food or grain free kibble, and I don't want her eating treats all the time so I bought a bag of Meow Mix to see if she'll eat it. She really likes it so I guess that's what I'll feed her. At least it's food and not treats.

I tried to look at her throat and from what I can tell, it still looks red and swollen. I'm afraid that it might be cancer. Does anyone else have experience with a cat with swollen tonsils? Is a week on antibiotics long enough to see a noticeable difference? I figure she's had an infection for a long time and the vet did say it could be a bone infection. Does it take longer for bone infections to heal? She's gaining weight now and has even been playing, but I know when I had cancer I still felt great up until chemo began. She doesn't act like her mouth is bothering her, though, aside from swallowing hard sometimes. However, she has swallowed hard like that from time to time before for a long time. It's usually when she's purring very loudly that she does it.