Sweetest Kitty Ever, Turns Supermean While Playing

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, my cat Loki, who is a nuetered 1&1/2 yr old male, shares the house with his brother Apollo(nuetered male cat)& sister Tinkerbell(non spayed 8MO old female Pomeranian).. he is always comming up to me, meowing talking, and or laying on me like an infant. But when we play, he is ruthless with his claws and teeth, it's crazy cause u don't expect that out of him when u see how sweet he is!.. how do I tell him not so rough?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, you have to understand that for him, "playing" is actually "hunt, catch, kill practice." That's just who cats are! Ever see two cats really all-out play? To the uninitiated, it can look very like an actual fight. There's hissing and spitting, and calling of names, and rolling around like dervishes! The only thing missing is the fur in the air and the blood on the floor!

Now, that doesn't mean you should resign yourself to being mauled by an overly "playful" cat. Try a short, sharp NO!, an OUCH!, or a hiss. That almost always works to tell him "TOO MUCH!" Do it immediately when he gets too rough, and do it every time. Also, this article may help, as well, How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats. Let me know how things go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you have to understand that for him, "playing" is actually "hunt, catch, kill practice." That's just who cats are! Ever see two cats really all-out play? To the uninitiated, it can look very like an actual fight. There's hissing and spitting, and calling of names, and rolling around like dervishes! The only thing missing is the fur in the air and the blood on the floor!

Now, that doesn't mean you should resign yourself to being mauled by an overly "playful" cat. Try a short, sharp NO!, an OUCH!, or a hiss. That almost always works to tell him "TOO MUCH!" Do it immediately when he gets too rough, and do it every time. Also, this article may help, as well, How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats. Let me know how things go!

I figured that as much, but his brother is gentle while playing with me even if he plays rough with his brother, and Loki gets this "psycho" look in his eye.. I have tried the no, and even ignoring him when he starts ringer that way, but it's the same everytime, and it really comes out of nowhere.. I love my baby though and it's nothing I can't handle, he doesn't hurt me too bad anyway lol

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If a "NO!" doesn't work, try hissing at him. You're speaking his language when you do, and he WILL understand!