sweet with people, but animals...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebsbabe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. She is not spayed. We ate not having a conversation abouts the benefits, etc. I have enough of them.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. She is not spayed. We ate not having a conversation abouts the benefits, etc. I have enough of them.
She needs to be spayed.  She will continually go into heat until she does get pregnant over and over.  And if she is outdoors a lot, it WILL happen.  If she is kept indoors and is left in tact, she could develop pyometra (an accumulation of puss in the uterus- VERY DANGEROUS!)!!  You also put her at the risks of many cancers.  So getting her spayed asap would be ideal.  It may also stop her from being "Billy Bad A**"  with the big dogs.  My thoughts are the reason she does this is because of the sex hormones in her system.  It can make females aggressive and a bit unpredictable. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Her behavior sounds normal to me, and triggered by fear. I'm not sure you should walk her around dogs at all. It can be very stressful for her. Maybe you could find a more private or secure path?

As for having other cats around her. Not much to be said about that until she's spayed. I'm sorry if that's not something you wish to hear, but we are officially a pro-spay/neuter community, so it's going to come up pretty much all the time 
 It is relevant to almost any behavior or health issue you can think of, not to mention our general stand about cat welfare. In this case, as mentioned, her cycle may increase her levels of aggression. Also, letting her getting into cycle again and again without letting her mate is in itself a stressor that could affect her behavior in all kinds of ways. Not that I'm suggesting letting her mate, of course. Just saying, she is under a lot of stress being an unspayed female with no mating and breeding. It is therefore very relevant to her interactions with other animals, especially other cats.

rebsbabe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do understand your point. Here's the thing :
One day, when she is a bit older, I plan to fix her. Before that, and after we have moved into a bigger apartment, my boyfriend wants to get a male cat, both for playmate and mate. The trick will be finding one she will accept. After a litter, or if she will not socialize with a male cat, then I will take care of spaying Delilah. In my home, we just feel that all of God's creature's should be allowed to reproduce, once, at least. And she is so awesome, I want to always have a kitty from her line. Maybe you think that is silly, but people love her. I get offered ridiculous ammounts of $ from strangers who watch her walking on a leash in DTLA and they pet her and are amazed by her.
I am not exaggerating. She gets around. People always take. Her pics. She is so neat. She has a great personality. There are not many things that she does that ate "bad". I do not "punish" her for anything. I figure that if she is in something she should not be, then we humans failed in kitty proofing a situation and it is fixed and usually not repeated.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day, when she is a bit older, I plan to fix her. Before that, and after we have moved into a bigger apartment, my boyfriend wants to get a male cat, both for playmate and mate. The trick will be finding one she will accept. After a litter, or if she will not socialize with a male cat, then I will take care of spaying Delilah. In my home, we just feel that all of God's creature's should be allowed to reproduce, once, at least. And she is so awesome, I want to always have a kitty from her line. Maybe you think that is silly, but people love her. I get offered ridiculous ammounts of $ from strangers who watch her walking on a leash in DTLA and they pet her and are amazed by her.
I am not exaggerating. She gets around. People always take. Her pics. She is so neat. She has a great personality. There are not many things that she does that ate "bad". I do not "punish" her for anything. I figure that if she is in something she should not be, then we humans failed in kitty proofing a situation and it is fixed and usually not repeated.
I am sure you will find many objections to breeding your cat.  If she is not purebred and even if she is.  You will be known as a back yard breeder.  Not good.  With the overwhelming unwanted pet population you need to consider that for every litter you bring into the world, that is another cat (for every kitten) that will be put down in the shelter.  It is VERY difficult to rehome cats responsibly.  Many people only want a kitten when it's small and cute.  Once it's grown, they throw it out or turn it in to a shelter.  It's heartbreaking.  People may offer you $ but without paperwork and consent from her breeder... It is unethical to sell kittens.

Unlike with people, animals get no joy out of experiencing pregnancy and motherhood.  It is not necessary.  I strongly urge you to reconsider this.  There are billions of unwanted animals in over crowded shelters and many many experienced breeders out there... Not to mention all the ferals and homeless cats on the streets.  Most will never leave the shelters alive.  There are not enough good and responsible homes for all of them.  Please reconsider and do not contribute to the unwanted and homeless pet population.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
She does sound like a very special cat and I think it's wonderful that you appreciate her so much. Just keep in mind mating isn't cloning. If she mates, you won't end up with copies of her 

If Delilah has kittens, she could end up having five of them and even if you keep one, you'll still have to find good forever homes for four others. That's a huge responsibility. Finding good homes for cats is very difficult, but if you think you can do that, why not test the water by volunteering at a local shelter? You'll get to learn more about the screening they do for potential adopters, and I suspect you'll decide to spay her soon enough, once you get to see how many poor cats out there never get to find a good home. 

Cats don't have the same emotional needs as humans and she doesn't feel a need to be a mother. In fact, spaying her could save her tons of medical problems down the road. More on that in this article. Sorry about the lecture 
. I really really hope you'll reconsider the decision to let her breed.

Getting back to the topic of walking her. From your initial description of her reaction to dogs, I really don't think it's a good idea to walk her on a leash and harness (never a collar - only a harness!) in busy streets. For her own safety and piece of mind, and to reduce stress, I would advise on limiting these walks to quiet and secluded areas where she can't come in contact with dogs.

rebsbabe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that I can kinda see stripes on her in this picture... I think.  But there she is, all content and in her harness.

And in her dress.

Delilah and her friend Dolly, the Chihuahua.  They get along great!  Delilah was licking Dolly's face before I took this pic.

Look at that sweet little face.  Hew eyes are kinda weird looking here.  I think this is between when her eyes were gold (when I first found her) and the green that they are now.

And there is hern Rock Star Tee Shirt.

Such an amazing feline.  Don't worry about the fixing thing.  It will happen when the time is right.  And if she ever does have a litter, it will only be 1 litter and I already have good people who have spoken up and want a kitten if she ever has any.  I never said she was, they just stressed that if it happens...  But again, that is a long way off, if ever.

Have a great day.