Sweet but shy kitty turned aggressive, but only towards me

mlm2nm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My seven-ish year old Balinese cat Suki has recently become a nightmare.  I adopted her when she was about a year old.  She had been abandoned but never showed many signs to indicate such besides shyness, which I believe is part of her natural personality.  She's a sweet, sweet cat, but about two years ago her behavior became erratic.  

Now she is rather unpredictable.  She has become aggressive towards me (and sometimes my sister when I am at home).  As of last January she started living with me in my apartment at university, and when I return home (only a two hour drive) I take her with me because she is too sensitive and becomes lonely and destructive when left alone for long periods of time.  She scratches at furniture and pulls up my carpet, and she directs tooth and claw attacks at me, leaving my arms and my feet scarred.

Suki used to sleep in bed with me every night, but now she prefers to sleep in my closet near the door, as if she is hiding behind it.  Some nights I wake up and look for her and find her at the back of my closet curled into a ball.  She behaves the exact same way in my closet at home.  

Suki is very touchy, but I've known this for years.  She only likes to be pet and cuddle on her own terms, so I generally don't bother her too much unless she asks.  Lately she has taken to hovering around me when I am working, watching television, or even reading in bed, and Suki will lash out and bite and/or scratch me.  

Suki does have outlets - I attempt to play with her with a wand toy and have gone through several mouse and bell-ball toys - but none of these every seem to tire her out and/or make her happy, and Suki rarely shows interest anyway.  I occasionally feed her treats, which she loves, and I recently switched her diet to wet food (Wellness brand, she'll only eat the chicken flavor) because she was growing too skinny from only picking at her Wellness dry food pellets.  

I have talked to my vet several times.  The last time I was in the office for her examination, my vet did a blood test and said there was a chance she had pancreatitis, but another blood test negated this theory.  Other than slight arthritis in her lower back (near her tail, and it really only presents itself when you're squeezing her lower back, which the vet found out), Suki is the picture of health.  

My vet suggested that my moving back and forth to university and my apartment complex may be the reason for her sudden aggressive bouts, but I can't see the correlation because this behavior began long before I even applied to college.  

Any thoughts are much appreciated.  I'd really love my old cat back.  

Thanks.  - Madlyn

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's something that you did a long time ago that scared her. Start afresh by making it seem like she is a new cat in your life, at first have her in a small room (bathroom or some such) and let her get used to you again. Read to her, and attempt to play with her but maybe with only toys that would be like on like a fishing rod so they aren't immediately associated with you. With her being aggressive towards you then if you play with her she seems even more likely to be aggressive around you. Just let her slowly get re-adjusted to you because the behavior your talking about seems like she's scared (when she's hiding in the closet at night) and her always being shy... and the destructive behavior could come from being bored... Do you use catnip at all.. that could potentially help but it could also make things worse. You could even keep her in your with the door open instead of having her in the bathroom just make sure to read to her, and with the biting, scratching try to redirect to a toy. I could be wrong with this but from stuff that I've read before this is usually the time of stuff that I read.. 

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get a stuffed animal a little smaller than the cat, for redirecting aggression.  Does she have more cat trees than just a basic scratching post?  Places to perch up high?  Arranging your furniture so she can get up onto, say, a 6' high bookshelf may help her feel more secure.  Does she have comfy places to lay down and look out the windows?  Does she have other places she can hide besides your closet (cardboard boxes, for example)?

In terms of behavior, do you know about the cat blink?  When looking at her, keep your eyes partway relaxed and closed, and do an exaggerated blink at her.  Repeat a couple times until she blinks back.  Also keep an eye out for her initiating the blink, and blink back.  This is a trust signal for cats.

Also try Feliway diffusers - pricey but $25 for a month of pheromone is worth a shot, I think.

Keep up updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mlm2nm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses.  I don't think I've done anything to lose her trust - Suki and I have been attached at the hip since I adopted her.  

I bought her a mat that is made up of a scratchy sort of burlappy fabric that is a lot like a rug at my home-home (not apartment-home) she used to love to scratch to pieces.  She loves the mat and scratches it a lot.  She hasn't scratched furniture or my rug since.  I've tried scratching posts for her, but she never touches them.  She won't even sniff them - even with cat nip rubbed all over them.  I've tried carpet, cardboard, vertical, horizontal, and partially reclined - nada until I got the mat.

I've never heard of the cat blink before, but I'll try that.  I've noticed sometimes when she looks at me she blinks very slowly, so I hope that's what it is.  

Suki also has never been much of a climber... but I don't have a cat tree.  I've wanted to get her one for years, but they're very expensive.  Maybe I'll give one a try though.  

I'll keep this thread updated, but if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of the cat blink before, but I'll try that.  I've noticed sometimes when she looks at me she blinks very slowly, so I hope that's what it is.  

Suki also has never been much of a climber... but I don't have a cat tree.  I've wanted to get her one for years, but they're very expensive.  Maybe I'll give one a try though.  
That's exactly what that slow blink is.

I build all of my cat trees, because they are ridiculously expensive.  If you know how to use a drill and a staple gun, and have these tools and some drill bits, you can build a simple one for not much.  You may even be able to scrounge for some of the parts - check craigslist for scrap wood (make sure you avoid pressure-treated lumber, it is toxic) and especially for carpet leavings.  Grab a 2x4 from the house framing lumber section (about $3), have the store cut it for you, cut carpet to fit and staple on it, and screw it into a plywood or particleboard base (put screws at 45 degree angles.  The main cost here is time, but very cheap in terms of money.  If you can't get plywood for the base or whatever, you can anchor the post to the wall (you'll need a stud finder and some 2.75" screws), like next to a bookshelf or something, so she has someplace to go once she climbs it.  You may need to pick her up and put her on a tall post a couple of times to give her the idea that she can climb it.