sutter banana - aby mix??

jenniferjuniper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi cat lovers!  i joined this site because i was curious about my cat's looks.  i'd never really paid much attention to cat breeds or genetics, as the cats i grew up with and got in my early 20s were just lovable cutie moggies.  i adopted sutter in january after being captivated by him on the spca's website and visiting him a couple times.  i got curious about how he could look like he does - tabby markings on the face, blue coat, white belly and collar and paws, sploochy tabby residuals on legs, tipped tail, green almond eyes, those ears....  so i started to do my internet research.  i've since read about the abyssinian, about cat genetics for coat coloring, and many threads where people ask if their kitten resembles an aby.  i've seen many kittens who are very obviously not aby in such threads, and i've looked at many pictures of aby cats and kittens, including dilute silver abys ... so i guess i am informedly asking if people think my kitten resembles an aby.  i am really looking for second opinions, because i am convinced he does.

i know it's super rare to get any kind of true breed cat from a shelter and that he's no purebread without papers.  please don't tell me that in response.  i don't really care if he is a purebread cat and i'm not asking if he is - i know he's a domestic shorthair without papers, even if he comes from aby heritage.  i'm more asking if to know if me and my boyfriend are the only ones who see the resemblance to abys in general and dilute silver abys in particular ... to me, it's uncanny, in temperament and physique/image.  i've only seen photos and read what's on the interwebs, so opinions of in-the-know cat fanciers (am i using that term right?) would be so very much appreciated.

sutter has all of the characteristics of an aby that i've read about.  personality-wise, he's super active, incredibly affectionate, highly curious, gets in the shower with me, plays with the bath water, snuggles under the covers, listens,and responds.  he is definitely the alpha cat over my other kitten oleg and my old bitty nina.  he is not really vocal - he'll rumple a wee bit if i try to hold him anywhere other than on my shoulder and will growl a bit if oleg play fights with him too much, but he is hellof social with me, always following me around and wanting to see what is going on, and after he exerts his energy (which he does in bursts of playful hilarity, with jumps and flops and twists and turns and runs up and down and around and on everything he can, but gracefully too), he comes and snuggles right up next to me.  it is pretty amazing.  his coat is super soft and silky, definitely dense.  not like the coats of my other two, or of my old man who passed late last year. 

i've posted pics of sutter, and one of him snuggling with oleg where you can really see the lynx tips on his pointy, rather big ears. he's got green almond eyes rimmed in black then white, tabby markings on face and in splooches on legs but nowhere else, and a little white tip on his tail.  his coat is definitely ticked, and i'm sure it'll come in more as he ages - in the pics, he's 4 and 5 months.  he's got a bump in his nose, too.  he sure looks like pictures of other silver aby cats i've found on the interwebs.  either that, or he's normal blue aby but hellof piebald.  if he is aby or part aby, he's clearly got the spotting gene and undesirable white markings - the collar, the banded tail, the "stripes" that aren't in any sort of traditional tabby pattern on his sides.  his underhairs are white too, so probably inhibitor gene - hence my thoughts on silver aby.

am i way off base?  thoughts?  is it possible for a cat to be both ticked and have very irregular stripes?  how probable is it that he's an aby and that i just got ridiculously lucky?  thanks!

jenniferjuniper

nosebreak ... and how he loves those feathers.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi jenniferjuniper (love that song) and welcome to TCS! 

I don't know Abys well but I can't really see the resemblance ... But who knows what is there in Sutty's past?

He's a very attractive boy.. love him snuggled up with oleg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniferjuniper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks!  it might just be that i got a super cutie who has a fabulous temperament.  he's unlike any other cat i've had.  something special.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
He looks a lot like my DSH cat Shareena. Her color is blue smoke & white bicolor. "Smoke" means white roots on the blue (gray) hairs, not just a white undercoat.

I don't see anything that looks like an abyssinian. I had never heard of a silver aby, but apparently it is recognized in TICA. CFA recognizes only four colors: ruddy, red, blue, and fawn. In any case, abys of any color are ticked tabbies, no stripes or spots allowed. White is undesirable and only allowed in small areas under the chin and around the nose.

This isn't a very good picture, but it shows my DSH Shareena and my Ruddy Abyssinian Merlin side by side.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks!  it might just be that i got a super cutie who has a fabulous temperament.  he's unlike any other cat i've had.  something special.
That's the charm of the moggy--they're unique. No other cat is quite like them. Of course that is true of purebred cats, but they are generally a bit more predictable in terms of personality.

jenniferjuniper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks goldy (and forand calista!  i think sutter's coat is a blue smoke/silver ticked tabby with the spotting gene - his hairs definitely have a white/creamy base - different from the pure white coat where he has piebalding - and his blue is becoming very clearly ticked as he gets older. thing i can't figure out is how he gets the fawn coloring around his nose and on the residual tabby marking splooches on his legs, etc.  it doesn't seem to be explained by any of the cat genetics articles i've found and read on the web, unless he's got some pattern of genetics that would produce a coat like a silver blue aby.  you can only sort of see the fawny coloring in the pics i posted of him, but it's very much there where he has tabby-ish markings.  the white banding on his body isn't fawn or cream like the undercoat, but pure white like his belly/other piebald spots.

Last edited:

jenniferjuniper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
here's some pics of silver abys i found on the interwebs... and one regular blue (the bottom one).  the second and fourth are black silvers.  not sure about the top and middle without re-checking the pages for the pics.  i do know that the white spotting/striping and banding on tails is undesirable in these cats, and is something breeders are working to eliminate.  there's some resemblance to sutter in these cats, right down to the toes.  i know i can't call him an aby, but i find the resemblance cool (even if happenstance).  it's also been fun to learn a bit about cat genetics with regard to coat coloring.

j

(re: the photos - if you google search "silver blue absynnian cat" and click on images, you will find all of the above pics on the first page of images)

Last edited: