Suspected Abscess Near Base Of Tail...

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I've been away for a while (friends watching kitty), and kitty has been outside a lot. When I returned last night, I noticed a wound near base of his tail (on top), missing fur, smelling a little fecal, with a hole in center which seeemed to have a little pus. He may seem a little more lethergic, but he's eating, drinking, pooping, etc., and moving around. He's also been licking that spot a lot.

Today the hole seems to have closed up a bit. He seems a little better. I have a vet appt scheduled for later today, but wondering...how often do these heal on their own? Should I wait a day or two? Or take him to the vet today? Thanks for advice!!!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know how often they heal on their own but it will heal a lot faster with antibiotics. And base of the tail has to hurt, there isn't much loose tissue there for inflammation to expand painlessly. So I would take him to get treated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, take him for his appointment. Abcesses can rupture, drain, seal over, refill only to rupture again...over and over and over, each time a bit worse. Better to take care of this NOW.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Took him to vet, and it was definitely the right choice!

He had some fever, and they lanced the abscess and gave him antibiotics.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please make your cat an inside only cat. The only good thong that can happen to an outdoor cat is to be made an inside only cat. There ae too many bad things that can happen too an outside cat. They can be killed or injured by dogs. Attacked and killed by wild animals. Killed by cars. Injured or killed by malicious neighbors. Catch parasites or diseases.

I have found a cat killed by a dog (confirmed by Animal Control), plus rescued a cat seriously injured by a dog. The vet's bill was $500.00 by the time I brought him home. He is now an inside only cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise