Surviving cat is not adjusting well at all to the loss of his brother, what do I do?

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 2 months ago, I experienced the most painful loss I've ever felt.  My 5-year-old cat, Jack, died of a lymphoma that took him only a week after his diagnosis.  He was only 5 years old.  His brother (I say that, but not brother by blood), Andy, began exhibiting a lot of behavioral changes, most of them negative.  I voiced concern about these behaviors immediately after Jack died, but they seemed more understandable then.  First of all, he meows.  I don't mean he cries at the door when he hears someone or begs for treats.  Oh, no.  Howling might be a better description of the sound that comes from his mouth and it is incessant, all day, all night, and only stops when he is sleeping.  Oftentimes, it's downright disturbing (he sounds angry, if you can imagine what that would sound like), most of the time it's just really annoying and stressful.  I've tried to be patient with him because he and Jack were extremely close.  They bathed each other, slept together, played together - they were inseparable.  He searched for his brother for a week or longer.  The loud non-stop howling meows began almost immediately.  It's been two months now and he shows no sign of stopping!

What's worse is the constant need for attention that has become pathological.  He's started biting in scratching, again. This behavior seems to be out of anger, but that could be me anthropomorphizing my cat.  Honestly, I don't know what these new behaviors indicate.  I'm started to worry that this is going to be a long-term behavioral shift in him.  It's causing myself and my two roommates a lot of stress because it never stops.  To make things even more difficult, he's even started biting and swatting when he's not getting attention.  He doesn't ask for it, he demands it.  ALL of the time.  Often even when we're sleeping.

My roommate has convinced herself that he "needs a buddy."  She is convinced Andy is lonely and that a kitten is the only way to make him happy again.  When Jack first died, I made her promise me that she wouldn't run out and get a kitten (she's very impulsive like that and it wouldn't be the first - or second - time!) to make me and Andy feel better.  I feel like the only responsible way to make this kind of decision is to really understand that, if things go as they should, a new kitten or cat is a 20 year commitment if you're lucky!  Even if you're not, it's hopefully a very long-term arrangement that will demand certain responsibilities for the lifetime of that cat.  When I lost my first generation (2 males, just like these two now), I was devastated.  I was also able to do a lot of things that I never would have been able to do otherwise in the following months.  I had had those two wonderful kittens in my life since I was 18 years old and I was in my 30's when I lost them.  Basically, I had been tied to the commitment of pet ownership my entire adult life.  Of course, I would have done anything to keep them in my life and have zero regrets, but I was able to do things after their passings that I never would have been able to do otherwise.  Because of this, I chose not to get another cat for about a year and a half so that I could grieve, be there for my parents (my dad had terminal cancer at the time), and so on.  

So basically my question is two-fold:  

1.  What can I do about Andy's new and increasingly negative behaviors?  

2.  When my roommate first started trying to convince me that Andy needed another cat around, I didn't think I was ready.  But as time passes, I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's right.  Should I consider getting another cat?  Would this help Andy's behavioral issues (these were not issues when Jack was alive)?  If I do get another cat, should I get an older or a younger cat? Male or female? 

*Lastly, I don't know if it's important or not, but Andy came into my life from "the wild."  I believe he was left behind when someone moved, because I found him near the lake on a hiking trail and he was perfectly socialized and even neutered when I found him!  I initially got Jack as a playmate for Andy.   He was an adult (my vet guessed he was 2-3 years old when he found me), and Jack was six weeks old when I brought him home, after about six of having Andy..  Andy is around 8 years old now.  Both cats are/were male.

I apologize for the length of this post!  

If you made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read this and I am grateful for any suggestions y'all might have.  I'm so impressed with the knowledge and support this site has to offer.  I consider myself very lucky to have found this forum of wonderful people and beautiful kittens.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can honestly say that this is the pain of loss. Your cat is devastated in the exact same way yu wuld be if yu lost a brother and not a pet. I dont think I could be over it in a couple of months. That a very short time to get over a life. But he may need someone (another cat). Cats are social animals and its hard to go from having someone to talk to and then suddenly be alone. You guys (the humans) are the next best thing. Having someone by yur side all day everyday is a huge gaping hole, or wound, that he is trying to fill. If yu just absolutely can't find space in yur home or yur heart for another pet then yu all are going to have to be his other half until he can start dealing with things on his own.

I'm not a professional at all but I think he needs someone. Two months and he's still looking for that other presence it may only be able to be filled by another cat. Or see if yu can't alleviate some of his sadness with extra attention. When yu eat have him eat beside yu, when your watching TV, or sitting actively go get him to sit with yu so he feels included. Instead of waiting every night for him to come terrorize yu in yur sleep go get him and bring him to bed with you. He needs to feel connected. Cause right now he really seems lost. Like he's spinning in circles without his brother.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, losing a cat is always hard. A new cat or kitten could be just the thing he needs, it could also be a nightmare. He seems to be a very emotional cat and this has been very hard for him. Getting another cat will force him to focus on something other then his missing brother. Unfortunately, theirs no way to tell if that focus will be positive or negative. If you do decide on another cat, I'd ask your veterinarian for advice. See if they know of someone who wouldn't mind you bringing another cat/kitten in on a trial basis.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe offer to foster a kitty from the shelter? If you end up liking the kitty and it helps your other kitty you could adopt it. This way you wouldn't have the long term commitment and could also see if that would help. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you guys for responding. Part of me feels some excitement at the idea of a new kitten (I'm not opposed to an adult either!), yet part of me feels guilty for even thinking about it - like I'm trying to replace my beautiful Jack. I know that isn't true, but the feeling is still there. I'm still haunted by those last memories of having to euthanize him.
I've been trying to give Andy more attention, but he is, as one responder said, "lost." I don't know how else to describe the behavior.
A couple quick questions: How will I know if Andy is responding positively to a new cat, and how much time will it take to know if it will work? Should I get a younger cat (kitten), or an older cat? Does gender matter? Andy is about 8 years old, so he's still young, but not a kitten anymore. He was three when I first got Jack and they became inseparable.

I appreciate y'all's input so much, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dee Ashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never fostered before. Does one just go to the local shelter and express interest? Is this a common practice? I live in the Dallas, Texas area, so shelters are in abundance around here.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys for responding. Part of me feels some excitement at the idea of a new kitten (I'm not opposed to an adult either!), yet part of me feels guilty for even thinking about it - like I'm trying to replace my beautiful Jack. I know that isn't true, but the feeling is still there. I'm still haunted by those last memories of having to euthanize him.
I've been trying to give Andy more attention, but he is, as one responder said, "lost." I don't know how else to describe the behavior.
A couple quick questions: How will I know if Andy is responding positively to a new cat, and how much time will it take to know if it will work? Should I get a younger cat (kitten), or an older cat? Does gender matter? Andy is about 8 years old, so he's still young, but not a kitten anymore. He was three when I first got Jack and they became inseparable.

I appreciate y'all's input so much, thank you!
I think every real owner struggles with a feeling of trying to replace a loved one when that's really not what it is. There is no replacing a pet. Yu cant replace all the awesome things he did or his weird little quirks. You can only try and help everyone heal from the grief.
The easiest way to tell if they get along is if the sniff each other. If they are completely stand offish then it might take more time. There are a lot of proven methods of introducing cats but I'm kinda impatient. But you know your cat and what he can accept easily and what would set him off when it comes to introductions. The most ideal ending is them playing and chilling together, maybe even bathing together or each other. But dont be surprised if he's not ready to accept someone new right away