SURVEY, kitten purchase

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please answer each question on a scale of 1 to 5.
5: extremely important
4: important
3: somewhat important
2: nice to know but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not worried about it
1: not important

1. How concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats?

2. How concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards?

3. Regardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality?

4. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises?

5. How important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten?

6. How would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance?

7. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility?

8. How important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper?

9. Rate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing.

10. How important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase?

11. How important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract?
I dont understand or know what a no-exclusion clause is.

12. How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you?

13. How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you?

14. Rate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old.

Please rate the following in regards to a kitten:

15. Appearance and beauty is important to me

16. Temperament is important to me

17. Health is important to me

18. Lineage is important to me

19. Breeder reputation is important to me

20. Breeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me

Last 5 questions…….

21. How important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats?
3 depends on what kind of cat smell. Like dirty litter and urine smells..thats nasty. However if its like just smelling like fur or cat food..thats not so horrible.

22. How important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged?
4 there are other ways to house intact males due to spraying and personally I would think that the females and kittens wouldnt be caged up.

23. How important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed?

24. How important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten?

25. How important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for?

**I just want to add I would not buy a kitten from a breeder without having the assistance of the people on TCS. Their knowledge and insight on what to look for and what could be a red flag is something I would never pass up or want to go without if I were to buy a kitten**

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at the questions, but I decided not to answer since I can't honestly think of any way I would buy a kitten from a breeder. There are way too many cats in need of homes for me to feel comfortable with that. I really don't care about breeds, I wouldn't ever show a cat, and I'm happy as can be with my two rescued shelter kitties.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. How concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats?

2. How concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards?
This depends on what breed the cat is-- for example I love polydactyl Maine Coons but they don't fit the standard. So 1-3 depending on breed.

3. Regardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality?
Depends on if I want to show. 2-4

4. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises?
Also depends if I want to show. If so, 5. If not, 1.

5. How important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten?

6. How would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance?

7. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility?

8. How important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper?

9. Rate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing.

10. How important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase?

11. How important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract?

12. How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you?
1. My Maine Coon's breeder recommended to wait until the kitten was 8 months before spaying and my vet does not like to spay until 6 months.

13. How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you?

14. Rate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old.

15. Appearance and beauty is important to me

16. Temperament is important to me

17. Health is important to me

18. Lineage is important to me

19. Breeder reputation is important to me

20. Breeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me

Last 5 questions…….

21. How important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats?

22. How important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged?

23. How important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed?

24. How important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten?

25. How important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. How concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats? .....1

2. How concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards? .....1

3. Regardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality? .....1

4. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises? .....1

5. How important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten? ....4

6. How would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance? .....5

7. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility? ....4

8. How important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? .....5

9. Rate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. .....5

10. How important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase? ....3
11. How important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? ....3

12. How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? ....3

13. How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? ....4

14. Rate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. ....5

15. Appearance and beauty is important to me ....2

16. Temperament is important to me .....5

17. Health is important to me .....5

18. Lineage is important to me .....1

19. Breeder reputation is important to me .....5

20. Breeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me .....1

Last 5 questions…….

21. How important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats? ....3

22. How important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged? .....5

23. How important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed? .....5

24. How important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? .....1

25. How important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for? .....5

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2: nice to know but I’m not worried about it

1.\tHow concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats? 3

2.\tHow concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards? 2

3.\tRegardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality? 3

4.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises? 4

5.\tHow important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten? 5

6.\tHow would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance? 5

7.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility? 5

8.\tHow important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? 3

9.\tRate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. 5

10.\tHow important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase? 5

11.\tHow important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? 5, if this means can/should be returned to the breeder at any time for good reason

12.\t How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? 5

13.\t How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? 5

14.\tRate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. 5

15.\tAppearance and beauty is important to me 4

16.\tTemperament is important to me 5, but then again, all kittens are tiny terrorists in teensy fur coats.

17.\tHealth is important to me 5

18.\tLineage is important to me 3

19.\tBreeder reputation is important to me 5

20.\tBreeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me 4

Last 5 questions…….

21.\tHow important is it that your chosen breeder’s home not smell like cats? 3

22.\tHow important is it that a breeder’s cats not be caged? 5

23.\tHow important is it to you what your chosen breeder’s cats are being fed? 5

24.\tHow important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? 2

25.\tHow important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for? 4, but weekly might be too much. Then again, LOL, daily might not be enough.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1.\tHow concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats? 1

2.\tHow concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards?
3.\tRegardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality? 3

4.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises? 1

5.\tHow important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten? 4

6.\tHow would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance? 4

7.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility? 5

8.\tHow important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? 1

9.\tRate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. 5

10.\tHow important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase? 4

11.\tHow important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? 5

12.\t How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? 1

13.\t How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? 2

14.\tRate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. 4

15.\tAppearance and beauty is important to me 3

16.\tTemperament is important to me 4

17.\tHealth is important to me 5

18.\tLineage is important to me 1

19.\tBreeder reputation is important to me 3

20.\tBreeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me 3

Last 5 questions…….

21.\tHow important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats? 4

22.\tHow important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged? 3

23.\tHow important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed? 3

24.\tHow important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? 3

25.\tHow important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for? 3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone who took the time to complete the survey, I do appreciate it.
I will give it one more day in case anyone else feels like jumping in, then I will compile the results and post them.

Thanks again!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

This survey is for everyone to feel free to answer, whether you would ever consider a breed cat or not. Even if you would only ever adopt from a shelter, please give your input if you want to.

I'm posting this here, versus the Breeder forum, as I would like all to feel welcome giving their responses.
I'm very interested to see what is and isn't important to folks looking for a kitten to add to their family. Most interesting to me, will be the level of importance of certain things.

Thank-you all in advance for your participation and please feel free to add comments in addition to the 1 thru 5 ratings if you like. Also if you feel an important consideration was left out, by all means add it to the list!

Please highlight the list below, copy and paste it to your response message and add your numbered ratings.

Thank-you!

1.\tHow concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats? 2

2.\tHow concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards? 2 I got one of my Cornish rexes because its coat wasn't wavy enough. Happens. Love him and his strait thin hair.

3.\tRegardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality? 2 Not all of them make the grade but I would like to see they are making an effort overall.
4.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises? 4 for the showing part. I am not sure how had it is to make champion so cannot comment on that

5.\tHow important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten? 4 I need a socialized cat as I am a multi cat household
6.\tHow would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance? 4 I would rather have the temperment although Cornish rexes are a bit of the devil to begin with.
7.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility? 4 I guess clean is relative but I don't want to see a mess.
8.\tHow important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? 2

9.\tRate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. 2

10.\tHow important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase? 4
11.\tHow important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? 3

12.\t How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? 3 depends, I can spay/neuter myself but it should be brought up, part of the contract
13.\t How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? 5 I can't imagine not vaccinating.
14.\tRate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. 4 Although I know a case where a breeder release a puppy prior to this but it was to my sister because of flight and time constraits. But the breeder call the breed rescue my sister got three similar dogs from, their vet and references to make sure they could handle it.

15.\tAppearance and beauty is important to me 2

16.\tTemperament is important to me 5

17.\tHealth is important to me 4

18.\tLineage is important to me 3

19.\tBreeder reputation is important to me 3

20.\tBreeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me 4
Last 5 questions…….

21.\tHow important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats? 3

22.\tHow important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged? 4

23.\tHow important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed? 4

24.\tHow important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? 3 I should be able to see the mother but the father may not be there.

25.\tHow important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for?
3 Depends on the age of the kitten. If I contact the breeder prebirth than I would like to see something, maybe not weekly. If it is older maybe not important.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2: nice to know but I’m not worried about it

1. How concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats? 4

2. How concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards? 3

3. Regardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality?. 3

4. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises? 3

5. How important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten? 5

6. How would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance? 5

7. How important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility? 5

8. How important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? 1
9. Rate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. 5

10. How important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase? 5

11. How important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? Does that
mean you return to breeder only if it doesn't work out? If thats the case I'll give that a 5

12. How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? 3

13. How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? 5

14. Rate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. 5

15. Appearance and beauty is important to me 5

16. Temperament is important to me 5

17. Health is important to me 5

18. Lineage is important to me 3

19. Breeder reputation is important to me 4

20. Breeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me 4

Last 5 questions…….

21. How important is it that your chosen breeder’s home not smell like cats? 3

22. How important is it that a breeder’s cats not be caged? 4

23. How important is it to you what your chosen breeder’s cats are being fed? 4

24. How important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? 5

25. How important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for? 3

My abyssinians and bengal are not show quality. I don't want to show my cats. I tried that with my Scottish fold years ago and I didn't like the politics involved. I love my little cats and the faults they may have. So if you have any Bengals that are not perfect you can send them to me!!!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1.\tHow concerned are you that the kitten you purchase comes from parents/ancestors that are titled champion and higher cats?
1 Honestly all my cats aren't titled. Just one. I love them all equally.

2.\tHow concerned are you that your kitten meets all the breed standards?
1 like I said all cats are equal in my eyes.

3.\tRegardless if you plan to show your kitten or not, how important is it that your kitten is near show quality? 1 sorry I guess I'm not a good candidate for this survey.

4.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder shows their cats and has champion cats on the premises?
5 this one is very important. If I was to go to a breeder again, I'd like to see the parents to see what could be in store for my cat in the future.
5.\tHow important is temperament/socialization in your new kitten?
5 I feel that if you take it from it's parents too soon, it might not be good for the cat in the future.

6.\tHow would you rate the importance of good temperament over appearance?
3 my cats are of all temperaments. They are loved equally. I have two that lick the hair off their bodies if looked at wrong. I also have one that bites if you look at him wrong. They all get along for the most part and I wouldn't give them up for anything...

7.\tHow important is it to you that your chosen breeder has a clean facility?5 I had a cat from a dirty( and I mean NASTY!!!!) breeder and he was so sick and ended up passing because of it.

8.\tHow important is it to you that a breeder does not advertise in a newspaper? 3 I think as long as they are selective and don't give the cats to just anyone who comes in, it doesn't matter how they try and get their business.

9.\tRate your importance of the following statement: My breeder tests for known genetic diseases and will not breed without testing. 4 I'd hope they all would but I've only had the two purebreds and have had two very different experiences with both.

10.\tHow important is it to you that you have a contract for any animal you purchase?1 Haven't had one yet.

11.\tHow important is a no-exclusion return clause in your contract? sorry not sure what this is...

12.\t How important is it that your cat be spay/neutered prior to transfer to you? 5 if it's bought as pet quality. 1 if it's bought for breeding. We had to neuter our cat when we got him before we got his papers.

13.\t How important is it that your cat be up to date on Vaccines prior to transfer to you? 5 this is a must.

14.\tRate your importance of the following statement: Kittens will not be released to new owners until they are 12 to 14 weeks old. 1 I thought they needed to stay with their parents until they were 4 mos old...

15.\tAppearance and beauty is important to me 1

16.\tTemperament is important to me 1

17.\tHealth is important to me 1

18.\tLineage is important to me 1

19.\tBreeder reputation is important to me 5

20.\tBreeder alliance with breed organizations is important to me 1

Last 5 questions…….

21.\tHow important is it that your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home not smell like cats? 0 all houses that have cats will smell like them in some form or other. As long as it's not out of control smells then I wouldn't have an issue.

22.\tHow important is it that a breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats not be caged?5 Free roaming cats are seem more at ease then caged ones.

23.\tHow important is it to you what your chosen breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cats are being fed? 3 I guess as long as they aren't being fed obvious food that's bad for them, and they are in good health then I have no problem.

24.\tHow important to you, is it that you are able to visit the sire and dam of your chosen kitten? 4 I'd like to see my chosen cats parents if possible.

25.\tHow important is it to you that your breeder send you weekly updates and pics of the kitten you are waiting for? 3 it wouldn't be a deal breaker because I know everyone gets busy, but it'd be a nice perk.