Surprise Attack by New Mama Cat

kay lowe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a new mama kitty w/3 kittens 2 wks old. Mama is barely a yr. old herself. An incidence of aggression has me a bit concerned. She had these kittens under my bed and kept them in my room and I have interacted w/them w/o any problem from her. She has trusted me w/them. A few days after they were born, a neighbor dropped by and brought her large, sweet-natured female dog. Calli came from under the bed in a flash of fury and met that dog at the door ready to attack! We were shocked but understood it as maternal protectiveness. Approximately 10 days later, this neighbor came back alone and I took her to see the kittens. I was down on the floor holding one of the kittens and gave it back to her and she attacked ME! She came out of the closet where she had moved the kittens to scratch my face and then up to my head! I was stunned! She had NEVER reacted negatively to me and the kittens before. As I thought it over I wondered if it was because Sara, the dog owner, was there and Calli associated Sara and the dog. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? Things seem to be normal now as far as me interacting w/the kittens.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she feels you let a predator that could attack her helpless babies into the room (no matter how friendly the dog is, try to look at it from the cat's  perspective) and is worried that you are now a threat. I could be wrong, I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about cats, but that's what it sounds like to me. Try to be patient and give her space. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kay lowe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dog never made it to the room. Calli came from my bedroom under the bed, through a laundry area, kitchen, living area t the front door in a fury! We understood that. But this was several days later and the dog was not there. I and several others had interacted w/the kitties w/o provoking her. Until we went back there w/Sara. That's why I think maybe she still associates Sara w/the dog.She may have been trying to get to Sara. She got me good.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're right that it may have been the smell.  Cats are very territorial, and especially protective of their new babies.  I think she is telling you that she needs privacy for now.  I wouldn't let anyone else in her room for the next few weeks.

Can you keep her inside and away from intact males until she can be spayed?  She can get pregnant again even now, and without going into heat.

We'd also love to see photos!

kay lowe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, yes. Her getting out was a fluke. She is typically confined indoors w/another spayed female just a couple of months older They are great companions. She got out one day when I failed to close the door all the way behind me. Very rare. And this is the result. She will be spayed as soon as the kitties are weaned. And we do much better about keeping her away from the door, but I believe her maternal instinct keeps her pretty close.

She is still allowing ME to interact w/the kitties, which seems to further validate that it was Sara that she was reacting to. I truly hope that's it, b/c I could  not tolerate her if she were to attack me again w/o provocation. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to understand that she is a hormonal mess right now. Try not to take any attacks personally. She needs some space and she seems happy to share that space with you, but she clearly felt threatened. She should settle down.

kay lowe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand but she got me pretty good. She scratched my face, and then got my head and arms. The facial scratches were not the worst, and are mainly on the forehead and side so not so prominent. Terrible long scratch on my scalp and more, shorter scratches on my scalp and some on my upper arms. Didn't require stitches but it was a bloody mess for awhile. I tend to bleed easily for some reason, so it was a mess!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course! And you have every right to be upset. I just wouldn't hold it against your cat. Once the hormones regulate and once her mama lion instincts go down she will be the same, sweet cat. She felt her territory was invaded. Getting her spayed once she's ready will also help.