Surgery Recovery Pen?

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a mastectomy on Tuesday and the orders are to keep her from jumping and such - the things she normally does constantly. I've seen some links here to pens that some people have used, but then the links keep going to products that are no longer made.

Does anybody know of a current product or the best way to keep my cat from jumping on things, especially when I'm engaged in work or sleeping.

She's already not happy with me having to squeeze some fluid out of her hole in her tummy, and this keeping her in my office isn't making her any more happy with me!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had luck with dog kennel when confinment has been needed. You can usually find some cheap on Craigslist, nextdoor or other local sale pages too.

I had to drain a wound on the tummy too. Luckily, my boy likes to sleep belly up so a warm compress on his tummy with chin scratches worked out well for us. As much as she might hate it, keeping the wound open and draining is important. My vet actually recommended adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the warm water I cleaned his last misadventure with. It help lift the scab, clean the mess and keep the wound open longer by slowing down the healing of the skin. I usually advise against hydrogen peroxide since it does slow healing but when you need to keep it open longer for draining it's great. I only had to add a teaspoon to a half cup of water to see a difference in how easy it was to clean the edges of the wound. The one time I forgot the peroxide it was noticably harder to clean his wound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had luck with dog kennel when confinment has been needed. You can usually find some cheap on Craigslist, nextdoor or other local sale pages too.

I had to drain a wound on the tummy too. Luckily, my boy likes to sleep belly up so a warm compress on his tummy with chin scratches worked out well for us. As much as she might hate it, keeping the wound open and draining is important. My vet actually recommended adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the warm water I cleaned his last misadventure with. It help lift the scab, clean the mess and keep the wound open longer by slowing down the healing of the skin. I usually advise against hydrogen peroxide since it does slow healing but when you need to keep it open longer for draining it's great. I only had to add a teaspoon to a half cup of water to see a difference in how easy it was to clean the edges of the wound. The one time I forgot the peroxide it was noticably harder to clean his wound.
Thanks for the great info! She's gotten a lot better now with the draining - hopefully, it's because her pain has subsided somewhat............And, thanks for emphasizing that it's important. The instructions they gave me were kind of haphazard and I wasn't sure how important any of it was. They should have it written down for one thing, instead of different people telling me different things I'm supposed to do.