Surgery on elderly cat

Weezil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a 17.5 year old cat (Weezy) who has always been very healthy. Last week I took her to the vet after discovering a very small breast mass completely by accident and brought her in for surgery this past Wednesday. My vet called me upon returning home and told me her BUN value was a little low and they were not going to perform the surgery that day. They gave her IV fluids and told me to bring her in the following Wednesday to have the mass removed. Since then, she has eaten very little (not like her at all) and has drank very little water. She is also a lot quieter than she normally is, sleeping a lot. (I really think this has a lot to do with the vet visit, she does not do well at the vets at all, and this time I left her there rather than just take her home). What I am worried about is how can I make this surgery visit (she will be staying overnight, which I worry about) easier for her? Taking into consideration her past health records, my vet is confident the surgery will go well. I just want to make this easier for her, as I am afraid I am making her more nervous because I am sort of hovering over her right now. Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
For her emotional state, try cat music, there's Spotify which has a collection of harp music called Cat in My Arms, YouTube and alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

For your emotional state, try chamomile tea, a walk, exercise, meditation...

Also, mention to the vet that she's not eating or drinking much, she may need fluids to avoid dehydration and handfeeding (by finger, popsicle stick or syringe) so that she is physically stable for the surgery.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really have no help to offer you, but I love our older kitties (Feeby is 16+ yo) and wanted to at least give you my heartfelt support! However, I have to ask what tests - besides blood work - the vet ran? X-ray, ultrasound? Both can be used to determine the size of the mass and if it has spread. Since you just recently noticed this, I suspect it hasn't gone too far (just a guess on my part). The reason I point this out is for you to ask the vet if some additional time can go by before surgery - time to allow Weezy to settle down before she is rescheduled. She needs to be back eating and drinking normally so that she is not compromised when the actual surgery is performed.

If nothing else but a physical was done at the time the vet decided surgery was necessary, I would want to know why additional tests weren't done just to see the extent of the mass. Also, ask your vet about if it possible for a mild sedative to be administered before you do end up taking her in for surgery, just to help relax her beforehand.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I second the full geriatric panel and xrays to see if it spread, otherwise no point in the surgery. When was she spayed? Do you know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weezil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
For her emotional state, try cat music, there's Spotify which has a collection of harp music called Cat in My Arms, YouTube and alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

For your emotional state, try chamomile tea, a walk, exercise, meditation...

Also, mention to the vet that she's not eating or drinking much, she may need fluids to avoid dehydration and handfeeding (by finger, popsicle stick or syringe) so that she is physically stable for the surgery.
I called the vet yesterday and said she was not eating or drinking-- he said they will give her fluids when they do the surgery. But today (I was out this afternoon, but I noticed when I came home) she had drank some water and eaten about half her food. (She will only eat dry food). I think she does better when I don't hover over her !! Anyhow, hopefully she will continue this so we can get the surgery done. The. vet is very confident she will be fine, because the mass is very small, but I just worry...you know how we cat mothers are!!

Thanks for replying.!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weezil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I really have no help to offer you, but I love our older kitties (Feeby is 16+ yo) and wanted to at least give you my heartfelt support! However, I have to ask what tests - besides blood work - the vet ran? X-ray, ultrasound? Both can be used to determine the size of the mass and if it has spread. Since you just recently noticed this, I suspect it hasn't gone too far (just a guess on my part). The reason I point this out is for you to ask the vet if some additional time can go by before surgery - time to allow Weezy to settle down before she is rescheduled. She needs to be back eating and drinking normally so that she is not compromised when the actual surgery is performed.

If nothing else but a physical was done at the time the vet decided surgery was necessary, I would want to know why additional tests weren't done just to see the extent of the mass. Also, ask your vet about if it possible for a mild sedative to be administered before you do end up taking her in for surgery, just to help relax her beforehand.
Hi, Weezy is eating and drinking today,going to the vet really stresses her out, but I was out today and she did so much better as far as that is concerned. (Maybe I am part of the problem here!) The vet will do the x-ray etc before they perform the surgery, but he said the mass is really tiny when he felt it. I would really like to get this done as soon as possible, so I will just keep the appointment we have scheduled.. But I will ask him to do the x-ray and if it looks like it is spreading, I don't think I would want to go ahead with the surgery, as hard as it is to say, but she is almost 18 years old. Thank you for replying!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hopefully she will continue this so we can get the surgery done. The. vet is very confident she will be fine, because the mass is very small, but I just worry..
Bless your heart 💗

Would the vet have any suggestions for calming products for her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try something from this list for her-the music, and the lickimat can be good any time for her;

Here are calming products and music sources;
There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;

www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.
foodpuzzlesforcats.com

foodpuzzlesforcats.com
foodpuzzlesforcats.com

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat