Supplements To Add To Hare Today Rabbit Fine Grind 80/10/10

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just saw a note saying Alnutrin might have too much iodine if I start my cat on Fine Grind Hare Today Rabbit 80/10/10. I looked through the other resources for mixes and many have chicken and fish. My cat is allergic to them. Am I going to need to make my own mix of supplements? Any recommendations?

I was going to start her off on Rabbit grind but don't need her going hyper with too much iodine. Thanks!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the supplement amounts used in the feline-nutrition.org recipe. Omit or reduce the lite salt (as that is the source of iodine).

For every 1.5lb food add:

1 egg yolk
500 mg Taurine
50 mg B Complex
1000 mg fish oil
100 mg Vitamin E
3/8 tsp (.375tsp) Lite Salt
2 oz water

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These are the supplement amounts used in the feline-nutrition.org recipe. Omit or reduce the lite salt (as that is the source of iodine).

For every 1.5lb food add:

1 egg yolk
500 mg Taurine
50 mg B Complex
1000 mg fish oil
100 mg Vitamin E
3/8 tsp (.375tsp) Lite Salt
2 oz water
Sorry to make this complex. OK so if she can't have chicken is egg still OK. I'll figure out how much flax seed meal to use instead of fish oil. She's allergic to fish and chicken.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry...I missed that she's allergic to fish. Rabbit will be naturally higher in Omega-3's than factory-farmed meats (beef, pork, chicken), so you may be able to do without an Omega-3 supplement.

I also noticed on Dr. Pierson's website updates that she stopped using egg yolks just because she got lazy and said you can use them if you want to. lol Your cat may or may not be allergic to egg yolk... it is the nutritional substance which feeds the baby chick, but of course it is "manufactured" by a chicken.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry...I missed that she's allergic to fish. Rabbit will be naturally higher in Omega-3's than factory-farmed meats (beef, pork, chicken), so you may be able to do without an Omega-3 supplement.

I also noticed on Dr. Pierson's website updates that she stopped using egg yolks just because she got lazy and said you can use them if you want to. lol Your cat may or may not be allergic to egg yolk... it is the nutritional substance which feeds the baby chick, but of course it is "manufactured" by a chicken.
Thank you! I'm not positive it's chicken because the dry food had like 40 ingredients. I know she's allergic to the fish. Missing Link sensitive uses flax seed but there are so many other ingredient in that she could be allergic to. It's like a bad puzzle.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure can be a puzzle. I've never had a cat with allergies, but my first dog tested positive to 70 out of 100 allergens on the test, both food and environmental (including an allergy to cats and dogs).

If a raw diet doesn't show improvement in your cat, I would pay for a diet consultation with Dr. Pierson, or some other well-qualified nutritional expert veterinarian. Those consultations aren't cheap, but they will tailor a diet specifically for your pet.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sure can be a puzzle. I've never had a cat with allergies, but my first dog tested positive to 70 out of 100 allergens on the test, both food and environmental (including an allergy to cats and dogs).

If a raw diet doesn't show improvement in your cat, I would pay for a diet consultation with Dr. Pierson, or some other well-qualified nutritional expert veterinarian. Those consultations aren't cheap, but they will tailor a diet specifically for your pet.
Great idea! Thank you!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may actually find that your cat is not allergic to *raw* chicken and fish. Many cats are sensitive to these ingredients when they are highly processed to make canned or dry food, but are fine with the raw, unadulterated ingredients.

I don't consider eggs to be an optional ingredient. They are chock-full of important vitamins and minerals.

That said, you should make the transition slowly. Make sure that your kitty will eat the food without eggs or fish oil initially if you feel those might pose an issue, and slowly introduce them later.

If you want to start off using Alnutrin that is fine, but long-term I wouldn't due to the iodine. Follow a recipe, as orange&white orange&white suggested and just omit the iodine.
Making Cat Food
Recipe: Feline Nutrition's Easy Raw Cat Food - Feline Nutrition
Recipes
Balanced Raw Food Recipe with Nutritional Analysis

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to make this complex. OK so if she can't have chicken is egg still OK. I'll figure out how much flax seed meal to use instead of fish oil. She's allergic to fish and chicken.
Allergies are to proteins. Oils, like fish oil, are composed of fats not proteins. I have a study some place where people with fish allergies, even severe ones, were able to consume fish oil with no reaction.

Plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids like flaxseed aren't a good choice for cats. The really beneficial oils we want are EPA and DHA which plant sources have little of in free form. Many animals can convert the ALA in plants to EPA and DHA. Cats have a very limited capability to do this.

Flaxseed Oil for Kitty? - Feline Nutrition

You can leave out the omega 3 source. It isn't strictly needed to meet the nutritional needs of a cat but you will be missing out on one of the advantages of feeding a non-commerical processed food. That is being able to feed a food with a better, more natural, omega 6 to omega 3 balance.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just saw a note saying Alnutrin might have too much iodine if I start my cat on Fine Grind Hare Today Rabbit 80/10/10. I looked through the other resources for mixes and many have chicken and fish. My cat is allergic to them. Am I going to need to make my own mix of supplements? Any recommendations?

I was going to start her off on Rabbit grind but don't need her going hyper with too much iodine. Thanks!
If you use a whole body grind, which I believe is what the Hare Today product is, some will tell you that you don't need to add any supplements, that when feeding the entire animal you are giving what the cat would eat "in the wild". Personally I think that is an over simplification of a cats natural diet but I thought I'd mention it since you have a special situation with possible allergies.

It is the generally agreed however that any time you feed rabbit you should add supplemental taurine because rabbit is naturally low in taurine and taurine is a critical nutrient for cats.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice. Fish in pretty sure about. She had a piece of sardine and ripped out tons of fur while scratching. I pulled it and she got better, not symptom free but better.