Supplements for Raw food

smurfet58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding my cat ground chicken and Turkey meat with supplements. I was wondering if I switched to ground whole mice what supplements would my cat need? I have found lots of recipes for whole rabbit and chicken by the nutritional values are different than mice.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding my cat ground chicken and Turkey meat with supplements. I was wondering if I switched to ground whole mice what supplements would my cat need? I have found lots of recipes for whole rabbit and chicken by the nutritional values are different than mice.
Hey there, is the ground mice really and truly the whole mouse with all the organs, fur, etc? I ask because I've seen commercial food that claims to be whole rabbit when in reality its only rabbit plus heart, kidneys, and liver which is not literally the entire whole rabbit. If the food is literally entire whole mice, then looking at this sheet from Rodent Pro should be helpful. Nutrient Composition of Whole Vertebrate Prey (rodentpro.com) It will let you know how much of various nutrients are in whole prey mice and you can compare that to the nutrient requirements for cats. If there's a vitamin or mineral that looks like its missing or would be too low, you can add meat to the diet that has more of that vitamin/mineral in it. Also, when looking at the Rodent Pro chart, keep in mind that the results are per kg of mice, not the nutritional results for one mouse. So you'd need to look at the food and determine how much of it your cat would be getting.

One supplement that I would still add regardless is fish or krill oil for the Omega 3's. But as far as vitamin and mineral supplements goes, that depends on what the whole mouse already provides.