Supplements for home-cooked food

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I’m thinking about making Dr. Pierson’s chicken recipe. She lists her supplement choices from iherb.com. Does it matter what brands I use? What are some other brands you guys use? What about more budget types? Where do you like to get yours?
Thanks!

AF66BBEA-371B-4023-BA80-1ACE851FD135.jpeg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Dr. Pierson’s recipe and order all of my supplements from Vitacost.com only because I’ve been ordering from that site long before I started to make the cats’ food. The prices are comparable to iherb.com plus I get lots of other stuff from soap to shampoo to Bob’s Red Mill products and more. Oh, I buy the fish oil capsules from Costco because it’s cheaper. In addition to the brand name supplements, Vitacost has its own less-expensive branded supplements. I’ve never used them but if the ingredients look the same, I might try them.

I don’t always buy the same brand for the same supplement that Dr. Pierson lists—for example, I’m currently using Now Taurine instead of Source Naturals Taurine—but I generally stick with the same brands overall: Now, Source Naturals, Nature’s Way, Nature Made. Jarrow is another reputable brand. I do make absolutely sure, though, that whatever I buy is the exact same potency and I read the ingredients carefully to make sure nothing is in it that isn’t in the “recommended” brand.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Pierson’s recipe and order all of my supplements from Vitacost.com only because I’ve been ordering from that site long before I started to make the cats’ food. The prices are comparable to iherb.com plus I get lots of other stuff from soap to shampoo to Bob’s Red Mill products and more. Oh, I buy the fish oil capsules from Costco because it’s cheaper. In addition to the brand name supplements, Vitacost has its own less-expensive branded supplements. I’ve never used them but if the ingredients look the same, I might try them.

I don’t always buy the same brand for the same supplement that Dr. Pierson lists—for example, I’m currently using Now Taurine instead of Source Naturals Taurine—but I generally stick with the same brands overall: Now, Source Naturals, Nature’s Way, Nature Made. Jarrow is another reputable brand. I do make absolutely sure, though, that whatever I buy is the exact same potency and I read the ingredients carefully to make sure nothing is in it that isn’t in the “recommended” brand.

Hope that helps!
Yes, thank you that helps! 😺