Supplement and heart worm

catrepublic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can a healthy cat (no herpes) takes  lysine as supplement to boost immune system?

I use Frontline on my cats. It prevents fleas,but not heart worm. My vet recommends Revolution. Is Revolution the only product in the market to prevent heart worm. What other products do you guys use. How common heart worm in cats? 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Advantage Multi also prevents heartworm.  It is relatively new.  I think it's called "Advocate" in Australia.  Not sure abut Europe. 

Lysine is not an immune stimulant, but it's very important in suppressing the herpes virus specifically.  Lysine is an amino acid and acts against herpes because herpes needs arginine, another amino acid, to grow and lysine suppresses arginine's activity and thus makes it harder for the herpes virus to thrive. 

As for stimulating the immune system, bovine lactoferrin is the best thing for that. You can find it on Amazon for abut $18 a jar of 100 capsules, 250 mg. each (if you get two at a time, it's free shipping).  The normal cat dose is 1/2 capsule mixed in the wet food twice a day.  You can search "lactoferrin" in the search box just under the brown title bar at the top and come up with lots of discussions about it.  I've been able to clear up some of those leftover sniffles that hang around for months after rescue kittens have come through upper respiratory infections, and I'm very impressed with how well it works.