Supplement Advice Needed

Suzbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Fellow Cat Parents,

Domino is a 6 yr old neutered male, rescued from a busy shopping center.
In December 2019 he was diagnosed with Struvite Crystals and has been on Royal Canin prescribed Urinary SO wet & dry food ever since. He eats small meals 3x day with water added to all his food.
I noticed in the morning before I put his food down, he eats non-edible things found on the floor including his hair. I brush him and clean my house but he seems to find things to eat off the floor! Recently he has been vomiting more frequently, mostly hair balls.

A vet technician told me he's lacking vitamins or nutrients due to the limited diet.
How do you choose a supplement that won't trigger Struvite crystals?
I see d-mannose recommended in other posts, but I'm thinking he needs more of a multi-vitamin or supplement ?
Should I change his food? He's been eating only the prescribed Royal Canin Urinary SO food for 2.5 years.

Thank you for reading, and any knowledge you can share with me.

20200815_131531.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vitamins and nutritional supplements have nothing to do with urinary issues. I'm sure the vet tech meant well but you were told incorrect information.

Lack of enough water in the diet to keep the urine well diluted and the urinary system working optimally is what causes many urinary issues. Some cats get urinary issues due to stress. Prescription diets are often not needed. There's info here: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

There are alternatives to the Royal Canin SO junk. Here are TCS threads:

I see that you are also feeding the SO dry food. Dry food is one reason why cats get urinary issues because of the lack of water content. Sure you can add water to dry food but that doesn't do anything other than to encourage bacteria to grow in the kibble pieces. If you can stop feeding all dry food, that would help some.

Some people do say that a d-mannose supplement helps. I think the product just acidifies the urine to prevent crystals and other stuff from forming.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe adjust his food schedule so that there is less time between the last meal of the day and the first one of the next day. Sounds like he could be eating other stuff in lieu of food. Or leave some dry out overnight for him.

As far as D-Mannose goes - it is a sugar-type molecule that bacteria adhere to in the bladder and are then flushed out with the urine. It reduces the amount of bacteria left in the bladder so that it cannot build up on the bladder wall lining and cause inflammation or infection. I use it with Feeby and it did stop her frequent UTIs. Other members on this site use it for overall bladder health. This is the one I buy, and I mix 1/4 tsp. with her morning meal.
Amazon.com: UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Non GMO Organic Source Powder 65gram jar : Pet Supplies

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domino is a beautiful cat and very blessed to have been rescued from the menacing streets where dangers abound and diseases lurk. Does he have plenty of "cat grasses" strategically placed so he can explore and nibble? How is his coat condition? Because the vet tech was able to see and presumably feel his coat in person, they may be on to something; busy vets, just as busy hospitalists, are focused on acute illnesses as opposed to "the small stuff" so trying a regimen of nutritional support may be in order.
You have been given excellent suggestions, especially the D-mannose and the ways to add more water to the diet (the D-mannose needs adequate hydration to flush the bacteria out). That said, I cannot emphasize enough (and I am saying this for other 'lurkers' who are seeking answers to help their cats) the necessity for high-quality water such as bottled, filtered or good fresh well water. Tap water has a plethora of harsh chemicals that can debilitate the urinary system. Also, make sure the cat litter is fragrance free/unscented - even naturally fragrant pine litter can irritate sensitive tissues and cause urinary and rectal issues. Many vets as well as human urologists often forget to "start simple" and consider water quality and exposure to irritants like scented candles, cleaning products and perfumes.
https://trupanion.com/about/media-resources/pet-health-and-drinking-water

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with the vet tech. Your cat should be getting all the vitamins needed from the food.
What does the vomit look like? Foamy white? Is there dry food in it?