Super Irritated.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a litter coming from a momma cat I rescued. One of the people who asked to adopted a kitten is trying to talk me into separating the kitten from the mother at 4 weeks. No. No. No no no. not gonna happen. Ive told her no. She can have one at 8 to 12 weeks when they are ready. Im about ready to tell her no all together. I even explained why i can't. For moral and ethical reasons and even legal reason! Why are some people so stubborn? She's got me so mad.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope a vet would not do it, but you never know. I think i would have very strong feelings about not letting her adopt one of the kittens. No telling what she will do if she wants to do this, and actually got mad because you would not! Some people do not need to have animals under their control.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Sounds strange ... I agree with the previous two comments .
I was warned by experienced cat people that some just want a ' toy ' - then when the kitty gets older the responsibilities become too much.
We spoil out cats , then we are fussy about who we let adopt them . :catrub:
( another reason I have so many cats ! )

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone who adopted a kitten at 6 weeks old that I know was separated from mom at 4 weeks old it takes a lot of work to manage a kitten that small. I adopted my 12 year old Starbuck when she was six weeks old. Someone threw her out a car window at 4 weeks old in the middle of winter. She definitely lacked kitty manners when I adopted her. I was very lucky that one of my mature male cats taught her manners pretty quickly. I had to teach her that nose biting was not a form of communication. I did a lot of research when I adopted her to make sure I was doing things correctly. She is a well adjusted senior now. I am an experienced cat owner and yes Starbuck was an adorable baby kitten when I adopted her but I lost a lot of sleep when she was a baby because I gave her wet food multiple times throughout the day and night. I was only working part-time when she was a baby and it would have been a lot harder if I had been working full-time. I am glad you told that woman no because there is a big difference in manners and behavior between a really young kitten and a 7-8 week old kitten. My Casey was adopted at 7 weeks old and he had much better manners. None of my other cats had to teach him manners. Not everyone can handle the amount of work required to raise a kitten that young. If it had been an option for me to keep Starbuck with her mom/siblings longer I would have done it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
As someone who adopted a kitten at 6 weeks old that I know was separated from mom at 4 weeks old it takes a lot of work to manage a kitten that small. I adopted my 12 year old Starbuck when she was six weeks old. Someone threw her out a car window at 4 weeks old in the middle of winter. She definitely lacked kitty manners when I adopted her. I was very lucky that one of my mature male cats taught her manners pretty quickly. I had to teach her that nose biting was not a form of communication. I did a lot of research when I adopted her to make sure I was doing things correctly. She is a well adjusted senior now. I am an experienced cat owner and yes Starbuck was an adorable baby kitten when I adopted her but I lost a lot of sleep when she was a baby because I gave her wet food multiple times throughout the day and night. I was only working part-time when she was a baby and it would have been a lot harder if I had been working full-time. I am glad you told that woman no because there is a big difference in manners and behavior between a really young kitten and a 7-8 week old kitten. My Casey was adopted at 7 weeks old and he had much better manners. None of my other cats had to teach him manners. Not everyone can handle the amount of work required to raise a kitten that young. If it had been an option for me to keep Starbuck with her mom/siblings longer I would have done it.
I raised a kitten from 3 weeks old and she nurses on objects and acts like an itty bitty baby kitten still! She has issues from it for sure anxiety. Fear of everything. I'd never intentionally put a baby through that.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why would she even want one that young??? A good pet parent would want their kitten to be with mama cat during these weeks. How else is it supposed to thrive and learn good cat manners? People :doh:
RIGHT I tried so hard to explain the mental physical and emotional strain that can put on an animal. I was admitted that no matter what that was NOT going to happen. It really ticked me off. Dont put yourself before your pets. They rely on you to make decisions for them they cant do it themselves. All the rescues we've saved have been various ages. We had the hardest time with the 3 week old. bottle feeding and weening it was a lot of work. She still is mentally a kitten. shes the sweetest darn thing ever and is so cute but my god was she a little turd. mentally shes still that baby she suckles and other young kitten behaviors.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ Sounds strange ... I agree with the previous two comments .
I was warned by experienced cat people that some just want a ' toy ' - then when the kitty gets older the responsibilities become too much.
We spoil out cats , then we are fussy about who we let adopt them . :catrub:
( another reason I have so many cats ! )
I wouldnt be mad at all if we had to keep the whole litter. the pregnant cat who I call momma love was a rescue a coworker started feeding her and taking care of her after he found her outside with a wound. im hoping i can assimilate her to house cat rules and regulations lol. shes still kinda hissy with other cats and were keeping her contained to one area due to the pregnancy. Cant have any couch kittens! I am really sure im not giving her a kitten unless she can financially provide, and emotionally. right now the emotional part is out. If you want a kitten young enough to bottle feed it go foster bottle babies its kitten season its a good time for that. then you give them back to be adopted. if you want a house cat thats a 15+ year commitment. I told all my adopters and had a contract made any reason the kitten cannot be taken care of I want it back. No pound No rehoming. give it back. I have strict standards to adhere to.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope a vet would not do it, but you never know. I think i would have very strong feelings about not letting her adopt one of the kittens. No telling what she will do if she wants to do this, and actually got mad because you would not! Some people do not need to have animals under their control.
I understand the bond of a bottle baby to an owner I had one. BUT Its better for the baby to stay with its mother. If she really loved cats like she says shed want whats best for it. I'm highly upset by this.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeesh :ohwell: What a twit of a person, so sorry you have to deal with that!

If she is upsetting you that much (And for legit reasons I might add, I'd be the same) I'd definitely tell her no cat for her altogether. Financial and everything else is moot at this point. There are better pet parents out there for your little one, ones worth the extra effort and wait that that will make you feel at ease mind and soul, if you still desired to proceed with an adoption.

Even just having one inkling of doubt about a future pet parent should signal warning bells overall.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just say no. You will feel better as soon as you hang up the phone.

No is such an empowering word. We really should be able to say it more often.
She was suppose to call me and never did. As soon as I see her im going to tell her this isn't going to work out. She knows where I work because it was a coworker who recommended me to her. Im not looking forward to the backlash I'm mentally prepping. For the kitties safety she is not allowed one.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeesh :ohwell: What a twit of a person, so sorry you have to deal with that!

If she is upsetting you that much (And for legit reasons I might add, I'd be the same) I'd definitely tell her no cat for her altogether. Financial and everything else is moot at this point. There are better pet parents out there for your little one, ones worth the extra effort and wait that that will make you feel at ease mind and soul, if you still desired to proceed with an adoption.

Even just having one inkling of doubt about a future pet parent should signal warning bells overall.
I talked it over with my best friend and we both agreed. That we don't feel comfortable with her and will be contacting her to tell her no.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand the bond of a bottle baby to an owner I had one. BUT Its better for the baby to stay with its mother. If she really loved cats like she says shed want whats best for it. I'm highly upset by this.
Patches was also separated much to soon, not intentional the mother was very young and like often happens she rejected one to save the others. He had that special bond with humans but I would never intentionally do that to a kitten. We used to have a Bengal breeder here and he had someone try to get him to do that so she could have a very young kitten. He was leery enough of her that he kept the building where his breeding cats and litters were locked for awhile.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patches was also separated much to soon, not intentional the mother was very young and like often happens she rejected one to save the others. He had that special bond with humans but I would never intentionally do that to a kitten. We used to have a Bengal breeder here and he had someone try to get him to do that so she could have a very young kitten. He was leery enough of her that he kept the building where his breeding cats and litters were locked for awhile.
When she first contacted me I offered her little bear after his rabies shots and neutering next week. She was like No hes to old. hes about 4 months now. I was like okay well I have a litter on the way too you can pick from those told her they will be ready about 8 to 12 weeks after birth i will get them fixed at the clinic i normally do for free at 2lb or more. Then the next contact I had with her she was like i really want a little kitten i got a bottle and everything. I kinda was thrown off by that. Then she came into my work a week ago to return an item and was telling me about how she wanted to bottle feed the kitten and i was like they will be weined by then I cant separate them that young. She was like well if mom pushes one away or one needs help shell take it then and I was like no I take care of that because I have responsibility over these tiny little cuties. Then two days ago she came in doing the same thing and I explained the emotional, mental and physical problems it can cause. Gave Luna my 3 week rescue and my Jack Russell terrier as an example and she said she was in a rush and would call me later, never called and left me super ticked off.
I am receiving a puppy from a coworker and I'd love to have him now but he has tree more weeks to go before hes ready and I know I have to wait for puppies sake. Doing otherwise would be selfish and wrong.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, she sounds like she has a screw or two loose. If she doesn't want an "old" four months old kitten then she's crazy. I mean, does she think the bottle fed kitten won't grow up or what? Good for you for being such a good and attentive caregiver. Those kitties are lucky to be under your care where you know what to do and how to handle difficult people.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, she sounds like she has a screw or two loose. If she doesn't want an "old" four months old kitten then she's crazy. I mean, does she think the bottle fed kitten won't grow up or what? Good for you for being such a good and attentive caregiver. Those kitties are lucky to be under your care where you know what to do and how to handle difficult people.
I agree I totally understand the appeal of bottle babies its that bond but you can get an abandoned kitten from a shelter and they cover the neutering and shots if you foster. Those kittens need someone to feed them. They don't have mothers. Why take a perfectly fine kitten away from its mom when theirs thousands who actually need to be bottle fed

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crazy lady returned all her shit and told all my coworkers how awful I am lol. But kitties are all safe from her that's all that matters

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
When she first contacted me I offered her little bear after his rabies shots and neutering next week. She was like No hes to old. hes about 4 months now. I was like okay well I have a litter on the way too you can pick from those told her they will be ready about 8 to 12 weeks after birth i will get them fixed at the clinic i normally do for free at 2lb or more. Then the next contact I had with her she was like i really want a little kitten i got a bottle and everything. I kinda was thrown off by that. Then she came into my work a week ago to return an item and was telling me about how she wanted to bottle feed the kitten and i was like they will be weined by then I cant separate them that young. She was like well if mom pushes one away or one needs help shell take it then and I was like no I take care of that because I have responsibility over these tiny little cuties. Then two days ago she came in doing the same thing and I explained the emotional, mental and physical problems it can cause. Gave Luna my 3 week rescue and my Jack Russell terrier as an example and she said she was in a rush and would call me later, never called and left me super ticked off.
I am receiving a puppy from a coworker and I'd love to have him now but he has tree more weeks to go before hes ready and I know I have to wait for puppies sake. Doing otherwise would be selfish and wrong.
Sorry if I seem to have a sick mind, but I wonder if she wants a certain size kitten to feed to a snake?